PDA

View Full Version : Weather

picframer
08-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Well it looks like we will be hit with Hurricane Bill Sunday afternoon, although things change I have been following this storm since it started and none of the computer models have changed their projected path.

Although it's projected to only be a Cat 1 when it hits here, this issue is a Cat 2-3 that hit here in 2003 did massive damage to woodland, I alone lost almost 300, many of which still need to be cleaned up, in fact 90% of our tree work this summer was from that storm, it weakened millions of trees that seem to fall late in the summer when we start receiving the tropical storms that blow up the Atlantic.

It was a 12 hour workday here but I still managed to get 50 gallons of gas and 30 gallons of diesel, received 32 emails today some from current clients some people I have never herd of asking if they can be put on a list for tree clean up should the storm hit us as projected, in a sense I am not looking forward to this but at the same time it is a challange that we are ready for. All three chippers and seven xhain saws are ready to go, really hate running on a generator however which is a must as I am on a well, so no power is no water.....Picked up 10 x 24's of bottled water and lots of dry food to keep us going.

Anyhow the only thing we will be short of is people, I have 14 employees however 5 are in Costa Rica for the world surf board championships and 4 leave this Saturday for the Canada Games leaving me with 4 workers.....not very good timing....anyone want to fly in?????<G>

Will update as things unfold Sunday afternoon, assuming I still have internet which is not all that likely.

CHEESE2009
08-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah the weather is about to get me tomorrow. 40 degrees man... It's gonna be a long day. I can't avoid it either, rain in the morning, death in the afternoon....

so much to do, so little time... I got a days work to do for another company, & a ton of mine to do before Saturday... Arggggg.

August has been nothing but trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
08-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Make sure you take your camera with you! You never know when these weather situations can get messy.

I was thinking, would it be worthwhile to send out an email to your clients on how to prepare for the storm and if they have any tree problems, to call you?

Would something like that be helpful for them and for you?

picframer
08-21-2009, 06:08 AM
EMO (Canadian Emergency Measures Org) started issuing warnings yesterday, TV, Radio, Billboards....basically there is no way one should not be prepared, stores were packed.

Steve, if I had the staff I would write a nice letter and email clients but if the storm is half as bad as they say this morning, we will be weeks clearing and chipping, other issue is all my staff leave for University the 1st of September, I don't really want to hire anyone as my woodworking has been receiving requests which is going to be a tough balance as I want to do quite a few leaf jobs with this new gear.

Anyhow we are good to go, had an amazing day yesterday although the heat was brutal, drilled 80 holes for a farmer (fence posts), I get $20 a hole and can average 8 an hour, staff are doing a few large pressure washing jobs, no mowing this week due to the heat, would rather leave the grass long.

ritchiem
08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Well this is what hit us yesterday...just down the road from me...very very close to home...about 8KM away and was heading north towards us. By the time it ended in the bay it was a few KM away.

picframer
08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Well this is what hit us yesterday...just down the road from me...very very close to home...about 8KM away and was heading north towards us. By the time it ended in the bay it was a few KM away.

Yes I saw and read about this, this morning. Do you offer any cleanup/tree services? Generally what happens here is anyone with a truck and saw places a sign on the side with their rate and cell number. JD was telling me they sold over 300 saws in the past 48 hours, I now have over 60 requests to be placed on standby, I was out all day working with the crews removing trees near powerlines, we use the excavators and tractors to put pressure on the trees and make them fall where we want, really good danger pay for doing this work, we charge $125.00 per tree, that is just to fall it, then if they want we will send in a crew to cut it up and chip. I have two 8" tow chippers which frees up the tractors for other work, I rented two trucks this morning and everyone headed out.

We were having coffee when some of my employee's university friends came in, they work for a paving company (4) of them, they asked if we were hiring and I said yes, so they started work with us this afternoon, three have chain saw experience so we are now good to go.

Steve
08-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow those are amazing pictures!

Richard were you able to offer any services after that? Did anyone in the area call you for tree service or cleanups?

ritchiem
08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
nobody was allowed on site besides, Hydro, Cable and town workers...once the hydro lines and cable lines are cleaned up I am sure the calls will come in. Hundreds of hydro poles were snapped in half, apple orchards vanished...mayhem.

Steve
08-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Did they say what the speed of the tornado was? Aren't there different classes for tornados based on wind speed?

picframer
08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Did they say what the speed of the tornado was? Aren't there different classes for tornados based on wind speed?

Environment Canada has confirmed that four tornadoes hit Southern Ontario on Aug. 20. Three of the tornadoes have been classified as f2 damage on the Fujita Scale. F2 damage is equivalent to wind strength of 180 to 250 km/h. Environment Canada lists two other twisters spotted that day as "probable."

MikeO
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
those pictures are wild. I hope everybody was safe!!!

Steve
08-24-2009, 04:37 AM
The last time I checked the news it looked like Hurricane Bill was heading directly towards Halifax and I think I saw something about two people had been swept into the ocean that were standing on the beach.

picframer
08-24-2009, 05:58 AM
The last time I checked the news it looked like Hurricane Bill was heading directly towards Halifax and I think I saw something about two people had been swept into the ocean that were standing on the beach.

Hurricane Bill's bark was worse than it's bite, quite a bit of rain, some flooding, wind wasn't all that bad, I have seen higher winds with no Hurricane's....all in all a non event.

The main issue is people who will not stay away from the rocks along the Ocean, they closed the road down from me (I live 10 min from Peggy's Cove) two kids were washed under however the RCMP got them back quickly, I really don't understand people at times, I just watched the news and could not believe how close people were getting to the water, all parks are closed, beaches etc. in an effort to keep people away, there may be some flooding later as the storm surge has not peaked.

It was interesting to see in the day time, most of our big storms seem to happen at night.

Anyhow it's back to business as usual

Here is Peggy's Cove, it's about 5 min from my house.

picframer
08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Here are a couple of more pictures that I finally uploaded, this is a five min walk from my house, generally this is a fairly calm spot in the atlantic

CHEESE2009
08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
My stepfather has a home in Normans Cove NFLD. lol.

Apparently his fairy ride has been delayed to get back, WOO!!!! Now he can't touch the grass!!!!

I heard that 12 people were tossed off a cliff or something random?

I hear weird crap all the time... Yesterday an old man came up to me while I was using my blower to tidy up a lawn;

Old Man: Thank you!

Scott: For what?

Old Man: Cleaning up! Normally guys who cut grass leave it all over the place!

Scott: Oh, well it's no problem! Do you live on this street?

Old Man: No, I live in a condo.

Scott: Oh.. ok... Have a nice day!

Old Man: Thank you!

.... Nice, but weird...

Steve
08-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Great pictures Andy! Do you ever get asked to take photos of storm damage, possibly caused by falling trees for the homeowner's insurance policy? To document what had happened?

Also how about offering board ups if needed? Or nailing down a tarp on a damaged roof? Or pumping out water from a basement? Would any of these services be requested?

Scott, people seem to just genuinely like you and want to talk with you :D