PDA

View Full Version : gutter guards

tomcat172002
08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I was wondering does anyone know of good gutter gurads that I can put on my home? I had a couple of companies come out and I am getting really irritated with the whole industry. I had leaf filter come out and they were going to charge me $1700. Thats way too much for screens for my gutters. Does any one know of gutter guards that will work and won't break the bank?

Steve
08-21-2009, 03:43 AM
I have yet to see any that didn't get clogged up over time. It would be interesting as an experiment to try one on the front of the house and try another on the back and see which ones work better.

Did you also consider adding this service to the list of services you offer?

tomcat172002
08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't to get in to this business, but I think that the whole industry is pretty crooked.

picframer
08-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I have yet to see any that didn't get clogged up over time. It would be interesting as an experiment to try one on the front of the house and try another on the back and see which ones work better.

Did you also consider adding this service to the list of services you offer?

I agree, I stopped by a pressure washing job the guys were doing today as the client wanted some lattice work repaired another company just finished, anyhow I was up on a roof over a porch where the guys were washing a second level deck and noticed the gutter was plugged and sure enough it had a standard guard I see quite often, they don't seem to work that well other than creating a clog that is easy to get at. This was the one that is shapped like an egg that goes in the down spout, the ones that look something like a screen and run the length of the gutter in my experience do not work either, people complain that when it rains the rain is dripping over the edges...

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-02-2012, 07:10 PM
That is a crazy price.... I could install gutters for that maybe even seamless.

I would get the solid guards with a small slit in them(below). There around a $1 a foot. The mesh ones wont hold up as long and wont stop all debris from getting in but there cheap. You can get them both at home depot or lowes.

I would call around some and get some better prices. A cleaning and screen install for average size house should only be $250-300. Try to measure your gutters then call and ask what they charge for ____ ft of gutters.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319957_10150308952929544_605874543_7837936_1213624 342_n.jpg

Steve
03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
A cleaning and screen install for average size house should only be $250-300.

How do you think the price should differ when you install the guards you showed in the picture vs. screen install?

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
How do you think the price should differ when you install the guards you showed in the picture vs. screen install?

The cost would be mostly in materials.

The mesh screen can be bought for $7 for 40 ft. So 80 ft of gutters should only cost about $25 in materials with mark up.

The solid guards are around a $1.25 a ft. So about $150 with mark up for the same length.

I was trying to tell the the guy to get them cleaned and installed at the same time to save money. Normally we'll charge half on the install if were already cleaning gutters. Some people will install guards without cleaning the debris out first.