PDA

View Full Version : Movies that have inspired you?

CHEESE2009
08-18-2009, 04:56 AM
I've seen thousands of movies, & thousands more due to my stupid sleeping conditions.

What are some of the movies that have inspired you? (that you can remember)

I have to say, "Rocky" with Sylvester Stallone.

I love the way the movie is put together. The character buildup is perfect!

Think about it... The movie portrays Rocky as some sort of "dummy" who makes it to the top. When you first meet him, you already feel ABOVE him, then you see what someone like him (below you) could accomplish. You could really get along with his character. And for some reason while watching, I felt like an underdog myself with different or similar situations.

You get to know Rocky from the first movie. He's illiterate, can't get a desk job, the only thing he can do is fight & hope to make a living. You feel sad for him, & that's better than feeling intimidated by him.

Think of Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's incredibly inspirational, though my point is that in his movies, you don't really gain/learn/feel anything from watching his character(s).

When you see Arnold faced with a problem, you think, "It's Arnold, it's a given that he'll just lift a car up & squash his way through till the credits".

This isn't the case for all of Arnold's movies, though I am trying to give a decent example of what I mean. When we see Arnold in movies, we see a man who is ABLE-without question-ready to take on any task immediately & pull through. Unlike Rocky or ourselves, we see him build up & go through hell & struggle in order to get somewhere.

Anyway, Arnold is better than Stallone... #1 Arnold Fan right here!

LOL...

It's all about the Rocky montage...

What other movies inspire me? Hmmm..

Well a lot of Jean-Claude Van Damme movies have given me a similar feeling to that of watching Rocky.

Van Damme always portrays a man who has lost something, & must struggle to make ends meet.

I enjoy movies where you can relate with a character & say, "I COULD be like that, I CAN probably do that" you can relate & learn.

We can't all do what Arnold/James Bond can do.

Spider-Man won't inspire me to become a cop & save lives. There is no real connection. When I watch Spider-Man, he makes it seem like "Only he can do that" ... though it's meant to be that way, it's just another example.

A relationship with the key character is what makes the story yours.

MikeO
08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
i have to say Rocky as well. theres so much to that movie that inspires me i see alot of myself in him. very moving. I am also into the movie heat with deniro and kilmer. what an awesome movie. I just finished Dexter season 1,2,3. good show from showtime

Steve
08-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Great movies!

Rocky is a classic no doubt.

Heat was an interesting film too. It seemed like there could have been more REAL character development. The characters seemed like movie characters but in a way they got their point across.

When I think of REAL characters, I think of movies like Copland. Where you look at those guys and feel like they are real. They are really living somewhere and are out there doing a job and some of them are up to no good.

For whatever reason, I liked the movie Point Break. Something about the free spirit they had as surfers. In the movie they are p/t bank robbers too and that was a shame. But if they could have lived that lifestyle without the bank robbing, WOW they would have really had something there.

I also like the Matrix. I think it was a great movie that brought to light the concept of how people can become slaves of a job and a system. They cease to be themselves at a point and give their lives over to the system. If you look around yourselves at times, you can see plenty of people that hadn't really lived in a long long time. They just follow the program and don't think or create.

MikeO
08-19-2009, 10:41 PM
i love that movie point blank. alot of freedom. which brings me to braveheart and even the patriot. something about those two that make you want to change something. Another good movie that will be in my top choices is Boiler Room its a must see...

Steve
08-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Another good movie that will be in my top choices is Boiler Room its a must see...

I never watched that one all the way through. What did you like about it? What stood out?

MikeO
08-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I think what stood out in boiler room for me was the way people were making money illegaly. Everybody in that movie had a motivation of some sort. And at the end the kid walked away clean.

mark123
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
The movie that inspired me the most and even changed my life is "Office Space". If I ever mention that I'm going to work in a cube farm could someone please run me over or at least take a baseball bat to my head? kthx!

Steve
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Ah yes another great movie.

Which scenes in that movie do you feel had the most profound effect on you?

mark123
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
... Which scenes in that movie do you feel had the most profound effect on you? The one where he rolls over and goes back to sleep with the phone ringing. :D

Steve
08-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I was looking for Office Space scenes on youtube and there weren't many at all.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vCJ55u8kOIw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vCJ55u8kOIw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MikeO
08-24-2009, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7LQi6GMhJk

I really enjoyed this one for some reason it made me laugh. good stuff

Steve
08-25-2009, 03:24 AM
That is a new one for me! I never had even heard of that movie!

MikeO
08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
I used to watch this movie every other day just for the laughs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpo3KxOhVo&feature=related

Steve
08-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Napoleon Dynamite! That movie was so amazingly funny and quirky at the same time. I can't stop but laughing when I see it. HAHAHHAHAHHA

MikeO
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9C2Pn0zwQ

Steve
09-01-2009, 07:03 AM
That was a very intense movie. Denzel was certainly on his game in that role.