PDA

View Full Version : Bad Yards

andyjoneslawncare
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I like bad yards. There, I said it. A couple days ago one of the realtors I work with called and gave me 2 addresses for vacant homes he'd like me to clean up for him. I went to the first, and it was knee high, thick grass. Not a really big yard, so I just took it slow and made a few passes. Then off to yard #2. Neighbors were (literally) applauding me when I got out of the truck. The chute of the deck would get clogged every 2 feet, and it was bad! But THEN I opened the gate to the back yard. I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say that there were 8' weeds. Thats 8 with a ', not a ". The average grass was between knee and waist high, with about 15 of the 8' monsters throughout the yard. There's no way it was mowed this year. Now, I kind of think the reason this guy calls me instead of anyone else is because he knows I don't give him a hard time about it. I kind of make jokes or whatever but I haven't been charging him tons. I actually like it. The before/after images are great, I get lots of attention from the neighbors, and at the end of the day I feel like I did something worth bragging about. These homes are for sale, so I don't know how long I'll be mowing them. Otherwise, I'd charge normal rate, knowing I'd make it up over the course of the next few years. Usually the bank pays me at closing (forclosure), so I can charge a little more if I'm willing to wait til closing. I like being this guy's "go to man". Yes, its more work when you have to dig up weeds first, but any other LCO would've laughed at this guy and left when they saw the yard. I handed out 2 cards to neighbors who were watching me drag 8' weeds out from behind the house. It was a great day. Bring it on!

KGW09
08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
You should post your before and after pictures.

Steve
08-18-2009, 03:36 AM
I'd love to see some pictures too!

When you are dealing with such overgrowth, how do you advise bidding such properties? How long do they take to mow?

Also, do you put up a yard sign when you are maintaining it? To let the neighbors know who resolved the situation?