PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Pages

MikeO
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
So who has there ad in yellow Pages and how well does it work for you?

Its 50.00 a month but does it still work?

Thank You

picframer
08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
So who has there ad in yellow Pages and how well does it work for you?

Its 50.00 a month but does it still work?

Thank You

I don't but if I could get a small printed ad for $50. I would take it in a heartbeat, here in Nova Scotia a business card sized ad it $257.90 a month so I don't bother

MikeO
08-14-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't but if I could get a small printed ad for $50. I would take it in a heartbeat, here in Nova Scotia a business card sized ad it $257.90 a month so I don't bother

Thats what I was afraid of. 600 some a year for 2 little ads in there. Will it pay off. wish i could see into the future Andy....

picframer
08-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Thats what I was afraid of. 600 some a year for 2 little ads in there. Will it pay off. wish i could see into the future Andy....

I know there are stats that say people go to the internet now to find a business before the yellow pages, personally I don't buy it, I think there are many factors, the business type, the area, the age group, I use the internet every day yet I pick the yellow pages and rarely use the internet to find something unless I am travelling.

It's worth something, in my case for a business that basically has a 5 month season it's not worth it, I use other ways including small community news papers and it pays big time, for the most part I am coasting using word of mouth, that brings in all the work we can handle and it's now time to start winding the bigger projects down.

For the last week I am only taking on projects I can do myself or with one helper as all my staff are back in University the first of September, I will keep Heidi the office manager on until November, I have a landscape designer that I plan to let go, just isn't working out the way I thought and we have talked about it a lot, she can design like no tomorrow just doesn't have the personality to work with new clients....anyhow will either drop the service next year or find someone else.

Advertising is a very tough call, based on talking with clients most throw flyers in the garbage without ever having a look, I am the same way, most ask friends or if they see a vehicle, had a guy following me today that called me on my cell, found it funny but not the first time, we pulled over and talked, went to his place this evening and pickek up a four grand tree clearing and chipping job for the guys.

Anyhow bud, spend the money based on what you feel will have the biggest bang for the buck, ask your clients or simply ask people, just walk with a clipboard tell them you are doing a marketing survey and "when you need a service for your home, such as mowing, what media would you use to look for a company?" If they respond well I mow the grass myself, "That's great but lets say you broke your leg, god forbid, how would you find a service provider? you will get an answer.

Personally I haven't tried it yet but all the coffee shops around here have a coffee shop flyer, the outer edges are business sized advertisements, the body is interesting facts, jokes, trivia....etc...I read it all the time but I also read the advertisements around the edges and trust me I don't read advertising.

wdcutter
08-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Personally I haven't tried it yet but all the coffee shops around here have a coffee shop flyer, the outer edges are business sized advertisements, the body is interesting facts, jokes, trivia....etc...I read it all the time but I also read the advertisements around the edges and trust me I don't read advertising.

That's funny you mention those place mats, I was eating out tonight and was looking one over, it is something I have been thinking about for over a year now and have the phone #, just never see about the cost.

Steve
08-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Can you maybe put your company name and phone number in it for cheap? Would that be good enough?

MikeO
08-23-2009, 03:50 PM
no you cannot because they sell you space 1x1 or however big you want it
the bigger the spendier. Now, yellowbook called me friday and tried to sell there pitch about online classifieds and this is interesting because only 4 people in my area do it and there all succesful business's. many different level gold level is 50.00 a month with logo and website and 4 sentences. Are people going towards internet or the book or paper for service? She said there are 200 hits per month in my area for lawn care and double for snow removal. So many choices...And everybody says word of mouth is free. Nothing in my world is ever free. So, I bought it for November and I'll go from there. I need my website looking better i hired a lady to fix it and she didnt come through for me so whatever, Im just sitting here wondering now how to do this correctly keywords and such.

Steve
08-24-2009, 03:42 AM
only 4 people in my area do it and there all succesful business's

This does make you wonder if they are successful because of their advertising in the yellow pages or are they successful and then they also advertise in the yellow pages. I bet it's the second.

Are people going towards internet or the book or paper for service?

I would think that most go with the internet but I guess it depends on your customer base and your area. Are most of your customers computer savvy or no?

So, I bought it for November and I'll go from there.

I didn't know they offered something per month only. I thought everything with them was an annual contract. That is great!

Now you can experiment with it and see how it works.

Keep us posted if you like it or not.

MikeO
08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
its crazy alot say internet most say newspaper. i love reading advertisements i dont know why i analyze the words what there really saying the logo the catch and the spin. I am intrigued by one's way of expression in short words. what makes money and profit may not make you anything. Andy is right word of mouth is the best key and that is where you want to be someday. I also agree that it is the second as well. But, does that fool the reader with your website if they see you next to a big company?

Steve
08-25-2009, 03:40 AM
But, does that fool the reader with your website if they see you next to a big company?

Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by this?

MikeO
08-25-2009, 11:45 PM
i always thought and think about where do people market and advertise at. I don't follow the guys that dont make money. One's that stay at home and wish they did. Where do successful business's go to and advertise at?. If i want hamburgers i will go to mcdonald's or burger king. Same for anything i want really. However, if I see a big company for lawn care that is paying 50 bucks a month or week do they pay that just so people see there name? Are they wasting 50/week/month at this place? Or are they making money at this place? What if I was next to them? Would anybody know how big or how small my business is compared to their's?. I notice in the paper some of these bigger companies don't advertise in them but there on the internet???? what if i was next to them in the ad space? would i get the same calls? Nobody knows how much you make or how big you are in this game. I could say i have been doing this for 15 years and I have 80 people for the season, do you need a referral from some of my clients? I can give you 5 or 10 or 15. Nobody knows. So, you can say whatever you want to the people really. But if your advertising with the bigger companies in your area does that give you a better persona or does it give you a better jumpstart for competion? I don't know is what im saying. You can spend a million dollars and not get anywhere. Look at all these flyers people do and alot are saying they don't work. What works and nobody in there right mind will say what works to you why would they? So they can compete with you and get that area saturated?. People who are successful leave clues on what there doing. Thats all I know. If i am smart enough to figure it out then I'd be amazed..LOL

Steve
08-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Ok I am understanding what you mean now.

But if your advertising with the bigger companies in your area does that give you a better persona or does it give you a better jumpstart for competion?

This is a very good question. It is fascinating. So if a large successful company puts and ad somewhere and you find it and you place your ad next to it, will you look big too? Will people think 'hey I know this one company and here is another company that is just as big so I can call them as well.'

Will there be a jolt of business growth by close proximity in your ads.

In marketing you never know what will work until you experiment but my initial thought is this. When companies get larger they aren't just larger with the amount of employees they have or equipment, but they are larger in an intangible way. They are larger in the network within the community. They have had more time to reach out to this person or that person and then word spreads from there.

A smaller company can not see that intangible asset. They can see ads here or there but to simply be next to an ad of a larger company is missing the bigger picture of what you are competing against. To chase this as the trail of how to grow, won't lead you to where you want to be. The ads are not sign posts to simply follow and become them.

This is part of the frustration of being a small business looking up at the larger ones. You sit there and think, I want to be that big. I can do it! I am ready! All I need is to just be bigger and I could compete against them.

But the thing is, unless there is some revolutionary transformation in the industry that will allow you to change the rules of the game, which could happen, what you need to compete is time and money.

You need time to build the contacts and the infrastructure and you need the money to scale up as you go. Now sure that is simplifying things but I think if you look around at some of the larger companies, ask yourself how long have they been in business? You most likely wont be able to find out their financial history. Like maybe the owner got a cash injection somewhere from a family member or friend and they were able to take that and grow because of it.

Getting to know more people over time, providing them great service and scaling up is normally the way the growth happens. The marketing always helps but its a part of the bigger picture.

You can spend a million dollars and not get anywhere. Look at all these flyers people do and alot are saying they don't work.

This is all very true. Businesses tend to have a level they will be able to organically grow. You could theoretically chart it over time. At a certain point they simply will not grow any faster no matter how much money you throw at it. There are many factors that need to grow all together for the organism to survive.

Think of a plant. You can only fertilize it so much. More is not always going to provide faster, better, stronger results.

What works and nobody in there right mind will say what works to you why would they? So they can compete with you and get that area saturated?. People who are successful leave clues on what there doing. Thats all I know. If i am smart enough to figure it out then I'd be amazed

Another thing that is fascinating about this is, there are many times something works and even the person who got it to work can't explain why. They can tell you what they did sure but there were elements involved that were not understood so they can't be replicated.

Very very few entrepreneurs have been able to understand all the elements well enough to continue to recreate their success time and time again.

There are many entrepreneurs who found success where it was fast and fleeting. Then when it is gone they cant figure out what happened and they desperately try so very hard to make the magic happen again by throwing in more money and more time and the next project just never lifts off the ground.

Most of the time it's like studying the history of a person who won the lottery. They can tell us how they got to the point where they bought the ticket and won, but they can't reproduce the results again.

So ultimately what do you do with all this? Maybe you put yourself into the mix. You get into the game. You look for opportunities as they present themselves and you jump on them. You let people know you can do something so when they need it done they know they can call you. As more opportunities arise, you take advantage of them and you grow. A lot of this tends to take time, money and knowledge.

I hope this helps spark more thoughts in you :)