PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare = Lesson

CHEESE2009
08-14-2009, 12:33 AM
I had a nightmare about gaining 1000 clients.

The problem was, I couldn't afford to serve them.

I didn't have the equipment, or the crew.

In my dream I wanted to serve all of the clients, I didn't want to lose any of them. I was afraid that they'd never think of hiring me again if I said no this time, so what happens?

I wake up...

Now imagine if the nightmare was true, in the spring you send out 10,000 flyers and BAM, everyone calls you?

Wouldn't that be worse than what we are stuck with now? Gaining one client every 1000 flyers?

I guess it's good to know what your max is for clients, you never know what kind of trouble you'll have if you get too many.

So you have to think, how many lawns can you mow (comfortably) a day multiplied by 5 days a week?

I'd say 11-12 customers a day, 5 days a week is good for ONE PERSON.

If you have a partner, 20 lawns a day, 5 days a week will be a walk in the park!

Steve
08-14-2009, 06:56 AM
You bring up a really good point. I think many entrepreneurs have this fear. It concerns them when they are doing their marketing.

Many times I have seen members post things like, I don't want to do too much marketing because I don't want to be swamped with customers.

I think first off, if you can realize you won't be swamped with customers, you will be better off. Once you realize that, you will see you need to really overshoot your goals when you are marketing because no matter how many customers you think you will get out of what ever marketing campaign you are doing, you won't get anywhere near that amount.

Scott,

Have you found yourself worrying about this as you were doing your marketing? Since you have had some experience now with it, how has that view been effected?

arthur712
08-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I have question.

If you have too many account and you can not take care of them.

Can you sell the account to another local landscaper?

If you can, that would be a win win situation.

Just trying see how this all works in you industry?

Thanks!
Artie

majoe7
08-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I have question.
If you have too many account and you can not take care of them.
Can you sell the account to another local landscaper?
If you can, that would be a win win situation.
Just trying see how this all works in you industry?
Thanks!
Artie

I personally donít think any LCO who has been in the business for several years will be willing to buy a new account from someone who is just too busy or buy one at all.

I think the person will say to you okay I'll buy it, but first I need to go by the location to take a look and see how much it is and what is involved. You give him/her the address and he/she goes out to the place. He/she meets with the owner and reviews what he/she sees and then springs on the client that Joe Smoe sent me to look at you property to see if I wanted to buy it from him. I think that he is over charging you and I will do it for $5-10 less. He over priced you. Then he buys nothing and gains a client. Tells you that he couldn't do it and then you go back and tell the client you will start next week and they say, Joe Smoe is doing it, you were too busy. How awkward would you feel then? Maybe I am just over thinking but in Florida there are a lot of jobs to be had and there is plenty to go around. It is year round with a lot of extra jobs to do also.

John

arthur712
08-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Wow,

I did not think about that. What a dirty world!

I guess the only way around that is to franchise a second business?

CHEESE2009
08-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Scott,

Have you found yourself worrying about this as you were doing your marketing? Since you have had some experience now with it, how has that view been effected?

At first I did believe that everyone would call me. Though I simply said, "I'll take what I can get, and leave the rest for other companies"

The problem as you get bigger, saying no to potential customers will fill me with regret. Saying no might effect you later, when you can take on more customers, too bad they remember you as "too busy" or the "No company" or most likely bonded with a company who COULD take them, LOL

Advertising comes in steps I guess. I hardly got any customers from it, the real gains I've gotten were from those seeing me work & walking up to me and asking for an estimate. Or referrals.

What works for me, BEST to WORST
People who have seen me work, who ask me for an estimate
Customers who have referred my company to their friends
Confronting people who look busy, tell them you can do it for a price
Business Cards
Flyers
Craigslist

Seeing is believing for most people. If your an area where people can see you do a good job, they will come up to you.

This happened to me 5 times, & I've gained 5 clients.

"You do my neighbor, can you come give me an estimate? I'm just down the street"

Anyway, back to topic. Marketing in my opinion now, can only start the base of what's to come in time. Everything might branch off like...

One flyer customer can get you their neighbor, there neighbor can refer you to their friend, etc.

So all in all, advertising is a quick fix & a gamble.

Advertising while starting up is crucial. Though as you grow & get your 10th customer, more customers will randomly fall into place until you get 15-20... Now you can wait & watch the plant grow slowly, or you can advertise again & see what happens late in the season. You might get 10 more customers, or a lousy 2.

Next year, you will be able to call all of your previous clients & have them booked. If most of them choose someone else, advertise! If you gain all of them... Advertise only if you can afford to take care of more properties, or else you'll be getting phone calls & denying all of them, meaning they will be calling everyone else for service.

arthur712
08-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Scott, You are right on!

When I first got into realestate, I asked quite a few Landscapers for quotes.
So many of them told me NO, they do not need anymore business.
I hade one that said yes and I have been working with them for a long time now.

I have had some of the other ones that said NO come back into my office and ask for work, but I still remember them as the NO do not have time landscapers.

How do you guys work it when you realy do not have the time? Do you have a sister company that you can pass to, and help the account get established?

Because like Scott said, It will be hard on you later when you need the business to just say NO!!!