PDA

View Full Version : Town hall meetings

Steve
08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I am seeing a lot of news on these town hall meetings lately. I wonder why the government decided to have them now with health care. Why not have them with other things that were going on like the wall street bailout and the auto industry bail out?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to interact with the voters then too?

Why just with health care?

turfmaster
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I am seeing a lot of news on these town hall meetings lately. I wonder why the government decided to have them now with health care. Why not have them with other things that were going on like the wall street bailout and the auto industry bail out?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to interact with the voters then too?

Why just with health care?

Very good point. Maybe there just wasn't enough time to debate the bailouts in town hall meetings. From what I've seen there seems to be a lot of angry people at these things. :confused:

Steve
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Very good point. Maybe there just wasn't enough time to debate the bailouts in town hall meetings. From what I've seen there seems to be a lot of angry people at these things.

Well, it's good to see people angry at times because it gets them involved.

I would have liked to have heard others opinions on the other bail outs.

In fact, it would make for an interesting show, where you could have regular people talking about different issues going on in the government.

mark123
08-12-2009, 11:21 PM
I think the town hall thing has to do with congress being on recess. All of the members are back in their home states.

Steve
08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Oh very interesting! I didnt even think about that.

lightninglawncare1
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes they are all on recess. They are having town hall meeting to talk to people about universal health care. But way more people against it are showing up than for it. The only people in there for it are union people who are lining the pockets of the politician that is speaking. Polititians have town halls all the time, just these are making news due to the fact soo many people are showing up because there are way more peopel againts this healthcare crap than they thought. They dont expect 500 people to show up at a town hall and be aked tough questions, especially on a bill they havent read and know nothing about. Politians are used to just doing what they want and the citizens not saying anything to them, so this entire movement is a shock to them. It is also a shock to them when they get a question they can't answer from a stay at home mom who knows more about the healthcae billan hey do.

majoe7
08-13-2009, 10:14 PM
They dont expect 500 people to show up.

This is exactly what I meant when I stated, you all have a voice. Get involved and be heard. When I referenced about the CARS program people would take advantage of it because it is a free program in their mind. We as taxpayers are paying for it. Now with the health care issues on the for front, people are being told that you have to participate and choose a plan. People by the hundreds and thousands are showing up and voicing their concerns and opinions. They are yelling and screaming at the Gov't just to be heard. Not a lot of respect going on, but who would blame you for being a force and a voice. Stand up for what you believe in, get involved and go to the town, council, or any other Gov't meetings that are being held and represent yourself. Ask yourself when was the last time I was involved in something to make a difference? You have the power and the Gov't is finally seeing it. They know this could be a big issue for them and they are finally saying WoW people are really getting involved. This great country will come together and be strong.

One problem I am seeing is that the age group speaking up is folks 40 years and up. A lot of seniors are going out to the meetings. We need to get the 20 & 30 something’s involved and out there educating themselves and speaking up.

Lastly, in reference to talking about Wall Street and the Auto Industry it's yesterday’s news. Like I said the Gov’t just saved those entities but with the health care we are being told what is going to happen and not being asked for input.

John

swstout
08-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Yes they are all on recess. They are having town hall meeting to talk to people about universal health care. But way more people against it are showing up than for it. The only people in there for it are union people who are lining the pockets of the politician that is speaking. Polititians have town halls all the time, just these are making news due to the fact soo many people are showing up because there are way more peopel againts this healthcare crap than they thought. They dont expect 500 people to show up at a town hall and be aked tough questions, especially on a bill they havent read and know nothing about. Politians are used to just doing what they want and the citizens not saying anything to them, so this entire movement is a shock to them. It is also a shock to them when they get a question they can't answer from a stay at home mom who knows more about the healthcae billan hey do.

When I read the first few posts on this subject yesterday morning, I went to the Fox News Network where they were posting Town Hall Meetings for both Democrats and Republicans. I couldn't find it. After a little research I found out that so many of these were being canceled Fox couldn't keep up.
As I was going to post the news my power went out (bad thunderstorm) and power was out 26 hours.

Washington is running scared, and it is about time! They are afraid they will no longer be able to do whatever they want without public oversight. They forgot they were supposed to represent their constituents. They forgot they were put in office by these people.

The "Economic Recovery" farce showed the American people just what was going on (only 3 of our representatives actually read it). Now the Town Hall meetings are proving this Health Care governmental takeover is again proving that the 1,000 plus page proposal is again going unread. The people attending these meetings know more about what is in it than their representatives!

Steve