PDA

View Full Version : Weird Weird Weird!

CHEESE2009
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok... So I received a call from the company I previously worked for.

They asked if I was able to work for them starting next week.

I planned it out over the phone on my availabilities, & everything is set.

I just feel like crap wondering what's going on right now lol.

I'm my own boss, have my own company. Now I'll be going in there using their tools & what not, under his orders.

I feel as if things became awkward ever since I left. I do like the guys, I just feel like they want a chance to take a shot at me & ruin what I have built. It almost feels like a trap. I've worked with all the crew, we all had gotten along really well. Recently things have become sarcastic & "hidden" when we pass each other on the street.

They love mocking my company name, "Breeze"...

So do I take the chance & work with them for a bit while maintaining my lawns, possibly regaining a friendship & tying up loose ends.

or do I just avoid them entirely, let them burn & take my chances without them. Knowing we can never truly be friends, only dangerous competition?

I'd really like your thoughts. Getting this call has just warped my mind.

What would you do as a lawn service owner, having to go work for someone else... How would you feel? How would you feel about being judged on your performance? I feel as if I'll be watched like a hawk, as they wait to catch me make ONE... LITTLE... MISTAKE.

Argggg this is strange!

mark123
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I got an offer from my ex-boss a while back. I just couldn't do it. They are doing just fine without me and I still wave to them when I pass them on the road but I could never go back to working for someone else. Freedom is worth more than money.

CHEESE2009
08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I got an offer from my ex-boss a while back. I just couldn't do it. They are doing just fine without me and I still wave to them when I pass them on the road but I could never go back to working for someone else. Freedom is worth more than money.

I'm with you on that one.

Every time they pass, we chat for 10 minutes... first few minutes I'll be harassed, the rest is b.s.

They did offer me a lot of money, that's the number one reason I'm gonna give this a shot.

Though I'm sure there is a high chance of me ditching them half way through if they can't keep their mouths shut. I really am not interested in criticism.

My biggest fear is if they throw more money at me. I don't want to end Breeze, it's grown so much.

I have a voicemail message from the owner of the other company.

"Scott it's XXXXXX, call me back... When your done working at Breeze, maybe you can Breeze behind one of our machines for next week. Talk to you later bye."

nightmares lol.

fieroboi
08-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I had an offer similar just when I started my company, only thing different was that I had never worked for them before. I just couldn't do it, and it got me thinking how short of employees they must be to be calling another company for workers.

The way I looked at it was that I needed to ensure the success of my company and I was not about to get distracted by the offer. I believe that remaining focused on my own company has been super benificial to me. I'm sure in the long run it will be as well.

Lots of luck with your choice Breeze.

swstout
08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
What would you do as a lawn service owner, having to go work for someone else... How would you feel? How would you feel about being judged on your performance? I feel as if I'll be watched like a hawk, as they wait to catch me make ONE... LITTLE... MISTAKE.

I would say that I couldn't work for anyone else again, but would be glad to help them out whenever they get backlogged (in their name of course). And offer to make the arrangement both ways. Sort of I'll I'll scratch your back if your scratch mine.

Steve

lawncrafter56
08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Stay on task of building the best mowing company in your area. BREEZE That is just why you are getting the calls from old boss. Your one step away from being 1

Stay the course. You can only trust yourself.:)

Steve
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Only you know for sure your current situation.

I don't understand why they called you asking if you want to work with them again?

Unless they figure they can throw some money your way and get you to shut down your business. Then they have successfully knocked out a competitor and a tough competitor at that.

I just can't imagine going back once I set sail with my own business unless I had to due to finances.

I'd like to hear more about what is going on in your head. Some pros vs. cons of the situation.

Little's
08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Imagine if they had said, "so, I heard you ran over a brick with your mower...umm, how about you come work for us again...".

A little suspicious?
haha

majoe7
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Scott,

If you had any inkling to go back you would have to set up some ground rules first.

1. Payment is expected at the end of the job or day.

2. Know exactly what is expected of you. Do you only edge, line trim, mow, blow off hardscapes, do weeding, pick up things or are they going to treat you like a dog and tell you what to do?

3. Sign an agreement with the owner stating that he can't use in any advertisement or word of mouth any defamation of character or business against you or the name Breeze Lawn Service or Scott XXXXXX in the future.

Example - Joe Shmo Lawn Service has now hired Scott XXXX from Breeze's Lawn Service to help us service your accounts. Now we have the BEST so give us a call us to arrange for an estimate or appointment.

4. Agree with the owner in a written schedule to when, where, time and duration.

This is something I would do if I was to help out a friend. But an old boss would be hard to do. The only way I would is if he told his clients that I would be servicing them from Breeze's Lawn Service for said time and payment is due at completion of service.

I hope this helps and doesn't sound too legal.

A ton of money is great, but you know if it sounds too good to be true then………

John

majoe7
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Imagine if they had said, "so, I heard you ran over a brick with your mower...umm, how about you come work for us again...".
A little suspicious?

Brandon,

I have a client who changed from a local LCO to me this past year. They say he didn't do the job right and always had an excuse for them. He still has accounts in the same area and when we pass each other I always give a wave or tip of the hat. He generally does the same. Since I have taken over this account, every time I do this house something is out of whack. Sometimes a sprinkler head with be out and on the ground just laying there, spraying in the wrong direction, grass clipping in a flower bed and brown spots in the lawn next to the road. Seems strange that it happens monthly and no where else. I have made a “joke” comment to him about these strange occurrences that are happening every month. He just said, strange. I told him that if I find out someone is doing this, then out goes the lights.

In my agreement with my clients one of the perks I give to them is monthly sprinkler maintenance. I run the system out and check for broken or miss directed sprinkler heads so I know that it was working perfectly on said day. I repair or replace at no cost to the client 3 non rotating sprinkler heads or 1 small or large rotating head. They seem to like it and it’s a good service that goes a long way. It has gotten me more jobs on the site and big time referrals.

John

Steve
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I repair or replace at no cost to the client 3 non rotating sprinkler heads or 1 small or large rotating head.

Do you mean up to 3 non rotating sprinkler heads or 1 small or large rotating head per year? Or how does that work?

How often on average do you need to replace them? How much does that cost?

Also do you find you need to charge more for your lawn care agreements to offer this?

Does it include winterization or do you not need to bother with that?

majoe7
08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Do you mean up to 3 non rotating sprinkler heads or 1 small or large rotating head per year? Or how does that work?

Monthly. I run the system the first week of the month and replace/repair any that is needed to be fixed up to those numbers. After that the client’s pays for the rest at cost no charge to install.

How often on average do you need to replace them? How much does that cost?

I may have to change out or repair at most 2 a year only due to age. I have never had to replace one because I have damaged it. Knock on wood. If I do a sprinkler install then all parts are at cost plus labor. If I just move or relocate a sprinkler head, then I try to reuse what I have. I get the sprinkler inventory from a friend who owns a distribution warehouse. I get them at cost not retail. Case prices are even cheaper. Mostly what I have had to fix are 2 or 4" pop up heads. What you pay at the box store $1.80 to $4.00 pc. I pay about .43 a piece.

Also do you find you need to charge more for your lawn care agreements to offer this?

No. When I give an estimate my price has this included in the total cost. It only takes a second to turn on the system and 4-6 minutes to run through the system. My price is based on a hourly rate that I need to make and the hourly rate isn't shown to the client.

Does it include winterization or do you not need to bother with that?

Here in Florida it may get towards freezing 32* maybe twice a year, so we don't have to worry about winterizing the system. Most run their systems year round. The lines are about 1' to 11/2 ' under the ground.

Steve
08-11-2009, 11:52 PM
That is fantastic! So if a lawn care business owner wanted to add such a service to their annual contracts, how much more do you think they should charge for this? How much more time do you think it takes on average per month per customer?

I get the sprinkler inventory from a friend who owns a distribution warehouse. I get them at cost not retail.
Why don't you or your friend sell some of that on here! I bet others would like to buy some of these products from you or him :)

majoe7
08-12-2009, 12:20 AM
That is fantastic! So if a lawn care business owner wanted to add such a service to their annual contracts, how much more do you think they should charge for this? How much more time do you think it takes on average per month per customer?

They need to know what they need to make an hour first, then take your time per month X 12 = ?hrs x by $ hour = yrly cost / 12 mths = mthly charge

Example:

15 min per mth x 12 = 3 hours x $60 hour = $180 yrly / 12 = $15 mth
$30 per hour its $90 yrly $7.50 mth.
Why don't you or your friend sell some of that on here! I bet others would like to buy some of these products from you or him

I'll mention this to him but I already know what he'll say, "I am here to make money, not just get by". He says this all the time when his customers come in to try to deal with him. Then he says to them, come fix something at my house for free, no labor and parts at cost. They just laugh and get the point. Also I am part time at this and ask for a break only once in a while.