PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy USED Stuff On Craigslist?

temeculagrassgators
08-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I want to purchase a new self propelled lawn mower but i dont want to spend 500$$ for a new one. So should i buy a used one on CL? Also what kind should i get?

CHEESE2009
08-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Stay away from craigslist!

Buying a used mower vs buying a new one from a dealer.

New mower
PROS: Great warranty, great dealer service, everything is fresh & wont have you guessing why it doesn't work vs if it was old, you'll have to check every single part of your mower wondering what the heck is the problem because it's so old or OLDER.

CONS: It's expensive, though you are getting your moneys worth, plus with a good warranty, you aren't taking any serious risks. You mind as well spend $1500 & get something that will last.

Craigslist is full of people selling pretty garbage. I'd only buy of Craigslist if I needed a backup mower, for $50.00... not even. Wouldn't touch Craigslist with a 20ft pole.

There is more work to be done on an old mower, & it requires more maintenance. Waste of time & serious money.

Steve
08-09-2009, 05:02 AM
If it is local and you can check it out and the price is right, then great!

bnclawncare
08-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I have been in business for quite some time now and all I do buy is used equipment. I do have two new Stihl FS90R trimmers and a new Stihl 550 blower, but all of the other stuff is used. Bought my truck used, trailer used, Deere M653 52" zero used and my 36" cub walk behind used, even bought a Stihl 600 blower just last fall for $150 and it still runs great. You have to shop around and be very, very careful. I agree with Steve, try to stay local!!

Steve
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I have been in business for quite some time now and all I do buy is used equipment.

Where do you find most of your equipment? Any advice on what you look for in used equipment?

turfmaster
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
I want to purchase a new self propelled lawn mower but i dont want to spend 500$$ for a new one. So should i buy a used one on CL? Also what kind should i get?

I hate Craigslist for advertising.
I do like it for used and new equipment.
This spring I purchased a brand new Great Dane Stander off of Craigs List.
A local dealer had them for sale. (saved 25% off list)
I also see a lot of low hour demoes for sale from time to time.
I would not recommend buying used from a large Landscape company.
Most machines are junk with a lot of hours and a lot of different people probably operated them.

I have picked up a couple 22" commercial Lawnboys for around $125.00 from private parties on Craigslist.
They're 6.5 hp with bagger and mulching kits.
I put new carbs on them and they are like new.

Fresh Cut
10-02-2009, 02:28 AM
I started my business (and still run it) on equipment bought from people on craigslist.

First was a 42" Troy Bilt tractor riding mower(I didn't know any better). Right now it's on all flat tires and sitting a trailer that I don't use. It was hard to change gears from drive to reverse and the hood cover was/is damaged and is lopsided. *shakes head @ self*

Then I bought a 1993 Toro 36" walk-behind. It's a belt drive and old as hell. I had a bad wreck in July http://dl063.zshare.net/download/329edb851cf93793ddcac49af3957fa1/1254464183/63063142/GMC%20Wrecked.JPG and my Toro 36" was on the back of the truck, it flew off and landed upside down. The deck frame is bent.
the front right wheel isn't level, it's off the ground about 2 or 3 inches. I put it in my sisters garage and bout a 2003 Exmark 36" Hydro from a friend of a friend for $900.

Sorry I got off on a tangent.

I also have bought a stihl stick edger from a guy on craigslist. It cost me $170. I think it was worth it. Before I bought it I was edging with my Redmax string trimmer.... took way too long. And sometimes it just ain't practical to use the trimmer to edge when the grass has grown over the sidewalk 3 inches , they have a corner lot, its 4pm on the hottest day of the summer, somebody stole your hat with brim that goes all the way around, no water in truck, and the neighbors are sneakily looking out the blinds, positioning them just right so they can see out but you can't see in, you only notice they move slightly whenever you look up.... oh and you got on goggles but still keep getting hit in the eyeball with grass, pebbles, rocks, sand, twigs.....

*exhales*

good deals on craigslist, just gotta know what you're looking for (as far as condition) and what your budget is.

Steve
10-02-2009, 03:56 PM
First was a 42" Troy Bilt tractor riding mower(I didn't know any better). Right now it's on all flat tires and sitting a trailer that I don't use. It was hard to change gears from drive to reverse and the hood cover was/is damaged and is lopsided. *shakes head @ self*

It seems like a lot of newer lawn care business owners go for a riding tractor at first.

What didn't you like about going this route? What would you suggest doing first instead?

Fresh Cut
10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Steve, it just wasn't what I needed. It was big, bulky, hard to maneuver, just too much to deal with.

SuperiorPower
10-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Craigslist is not all bad, its just not all good. You have to look at what you are buying. don't buy anything site unseen. And always buy local. If it does not feel right, then don't buy it.

Steve, I would guess one reason many newer businesses end up with riding mowers versus ZTR mowers is because riders are considerably cheaper than ZTRs. Around here you can buy a new cheap branded rider for around $1000 or so (depending on the size, obviously), while some of the cheapest ZTRs are about 3 times that. To them it may look like the right option. And it may be the right choice for them at the time.

mowcash
10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Craigslist is great but be smart about it. Winter time is best time to buy.

bnclawncare
10-30-2009, 09:42 PM
When I first started, I used a lawn tractor. It wasnt long after when I bought my used ZTR. The difference that I seen is that the lawn tractors are not built for commercial use and they were always breaking down. These are residential mowers and they are built for this. You get what you pay for. If I had my choice from a $1000.00 new lawn tractor vs a $3000.00 used ZTR, I would choose the ZTR.