PDA

View Full Version : Canadian health care

turfmaster
08-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a question for you Canadian guys and gals.
Do you like your health care system?
Is it worth the higher taxes or other business costs that you have?
Is there really long waits for care?
Would you prefer a system like the U.S. ?

As you know Obama and the liberals in the U.S.A. are trying to cram a form of socialized medicine down our throats.

I am just curious, Thanks.:confused:

picframer
08-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a question for you Canadian guys and gals.

Do you like your health care system? Very much so

Is it worth the higher taxes or other business costs that you have? Without a question

Is there really long waits for care? Depends on what needs to be done, if it's an emergency you will be in right away. Hip replacement for example could take 6 months, here in Halifax we are the regional centre for both Children and adults serving four provinces.

Would you prefer a system like the U.S. ? Wouldn't even consider a health care system like they have in the states, Canadians, at least anyone I know, really load up on insurance if travelling to the USA. My sister for example was in a car accident in Florida, drunk driver hit them, cost was around $20,000 for her alone, they had insurance but that is enough to ruin most people, drunk driver had no insurance so she will live the rest of her life with pain, that would never happen the way it did here. I can list dozens of examples like this.

As you know Obama and the liberals in the U.S.A. are trying to cram a form of socialized medicine down our throats.

I am just curious, Thanks.:confused:

I don't really follow what Obama has been doing with health care, I do know a lot of Americans come over here for procedures, this is one reason many older ones buy retirement homes here, no worries if something happens, this in itself makes our system more expensive, there are thousands of retired american people here in Nova Scotia.

CHEESE2009
08-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't mind it, give or take it has some flaws.

Usually depending on the day it can be great or horrible.

I've been in the hospital several times, & the wait can either range from 1:30hrs - 7:00hrs.

The worst part about the wait, is finally seeing the doctor who doesn't give you any info, and just says, "uhuh, ya... don't use it for a week"

that bugs the crap out of me.

I immediately demanded an X-Ray & we found out my hand was broken to hell.

Our doctors can be seriously lazy, same happened with my friend.

"don't use your hand" and I was there so I said, "GIVE HIM AN XRAY!" and we found out a tendon in his hand broke.

You really have to guide the doctors through their jobs to get something done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, as for the clinic, it's nasty.

You could be sitting beside 30+ other sick people, just waiting to see ONE doctor, a doctor who isn't even in yet to serve the first client.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for taxes, after a few years you wont even notice them, well.. you know... Just becomes regular....

turfmaster
08-08-2009, 04:20 PM
As an employer are you paying additional taxes for each of your employees for health coverage ?

For example: Does a company with 20 employees pay more than a company with 10.

picframer
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
As an employer are you paying additional taxes for each of your employees for health coverage ?

For example: Does a company with 20 employees pay more than a company with 10.

No it is factored into their income tax, I have to match their Unemployment and Canada Pension, Its built into my accounting software, forget the factor off the top but it's expensive then I have to also pay a percentage for workers compensation.

An employer can supply additional health coverage for drugs etc. it's desperate expensive and I do not, all but two of my employees are students so they are covered under their parents or the university.

We basically only pay for drugs and very few other procedures everything else is covered, accident or not.

turfmaster
08-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. :)

picframer
08-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys. :)

I think there are two countries in the world that I have not been to, seen many health care systems not that I am sick or get hurt often but the companies I worked for either had employees in these countries or they were vacation spots and you always seem to run into someone that had to go to the hospital.

The best hospital system I have seen is Cuba, bar none. My son and I flew down for a week in June of last year, he has a severe alergy to peanut butter and carries an eppie pin, we had some ice cream and even though he always asks what's in it, there turned out to be peanut butter in it, the eppie pen had little effect and we rushed him to the hospital, 5 min top and he had seen a doctor, was treated and watched for about two hours, I was very impressed with the quality of the care.

The next day we were on a boat tour and met some people from Canada, a girl fell walking down a set of stairs on the boat and did a serious brake to her wrist, I went to the hospital with her, teenager on vacation, she was scared to go, we were once again not more than 5 min and they had her in, we were on our way within the hour, she had an xray, cast and was given pain meds.

It's a very neat setup, if you go to emergency there are, at least in the hospitals we went to, doctors sitting in chairs, you pick the one you want and off you go, not sure how it works for locals, cost was peanuts and Cuba is known for having some of the best doctors in the world.

I personally had an excellent experience in Mexico last year, I was diving with some friends and to make a long story short experienced a wax block in an ear, the pain would bring one to tears, the doctor at the local clinic was the best doctor I have been to personally.

Here in Halifax I have a family doctor, if for example I cut myself and needed stitches, I simply go to the clinic, I would be out within the hour, if I broke my leg which I did two years ago I was seen within 20 min, was in the hospital for three days, serious brake...anyhow no charge but our tax's are very high compared to the USA.

If it's a simple check up I call. 90% of the time he will see me the next day, wait time is a max of 10 min.

turfmaster
08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I think there are two countries in the world that I have not been to, seen many health care systems not that I am sick or get hurt often but the companies I worked for either had employees in these countries or they were vacation spots and you always seem to run into someone that had to go to the hospital.

Here in the U.S. all we here is that our health care system is superior to the rest of the world . That's why I asked the question.
The politicions keep telling us our taxes would go sky high with national health care. Right now for me to insure one of my guys it would cost about $1000.00
per month. I can't afford that.
Employers in the U.S. are getting killed with rising health care costs.

picframer
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Here in the U.S. all we here is that our health care system is superior to the rest of the world . That's why I asked the question.
The politicions keep telling us our taxes would go sky high with national health care. Right now for me to insure one of my guys it would cost about $1000.00
per month. I can't afford that.
Employers in the U.S. are getting killed with rising health care costs.

This is worth watching, I in no way push Michael Moore but at the same time his investigations into various things os pretty darn accurate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFoq_5RbC4

$1,000 a month, good lord I could never afford that in any of my companies, a full drug & dental plan would cost me around $159. per employee but it's not something I want to get into.

majoe7
08-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Scott and Andy this is great info from the other side of the border. I always wondered about your heath care system. We have Medicaid and Medicare along with a federal plan or state plan that carries less fortunate (Healthy Kids).

One question, are you mandated to cover your staff if they donít have insurance, can they get Govít insurance plan or go on there own?

In the U.S. they tell us business owners we have to have something available to our staff and they can choose. We the employer can join the Govít plan or have our own. If we go with the Govít plan and want to cancel it because of cost they are telling us that you can only do this one time. You can't rejoin again if you choose. Interesting. Just food for thought. :rolleyes:

John

Andy how is your little vacation going?

picframer
08-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Scott and Andy this is great info from the other side of the border. I always wondered about your heath care system. We have Medicaid and Medicare along with a federal plan or state plan that carries less fortunate (Healthy Kids).

One question, are you mandated to cover your staff if they donít have insurance, can they get Govít insurance plan or go on there own?

In the U.S. they tell us business owners we have to have something available to our staff and they can choose. We the employer can join the Govít plan or have our own. If we go with the Govít plan and want to cancel it because of cost they are telling us that you can only do this one time. You can't rejoin again if you choose. Interesting. Just food for thought. :rolleyes:

John

Andy how is your little vacation going?

John,

Sometimes I have trouble explaining things properly so I will give this another shot.

Here in Canada no matter what your age is, no matter if you work or not, if you need to see a medical doctor for any reason you do not pay a dime, if you need to go to emergency for any reason you do not pay a dime, this is the way it is right across Canada, the only differences can be wait times for surgery and what I mean by that, let's say you are having some chest pains, they do their MRI or whatever and determine you need a splint (think that's what they are called) I believe Ontario has the longest wait times from what I read, if the doctor feels he can medicate you with blood thinners and you are not high risk, then they will, let's say I go into emergency tonight and they see I have a critical blockage, they will operate tonight and fix the issue, this is all no charge per say.

Let's say I go in for my annual blood work and my white/red count is way off and the doctor wants me to have an MRI, in Halifax that could take two or three months however, I can pay and go to a private clinic and have it done the same day, give the results to my doctor and if I needed treatment for say cancer, it would start within a week or two, the treatments are covered.

Now when I talk about health care coverage for staff, it's for medication's, vision and dental, dental here is brutal and very, very expensive however if you are 15 or under, it's covered whether I have a plan or not, this does not cover things like braces etc.

If you were here on vacation and lets say you had an accident and was rushed to emergency, they would do whatever was required to make you well and worry about collecting any fees from you later, this is not the case in the states based on direct feedback from friends and family, my sister for example was in a serious car accident in Florida a few years ago as I mentioned, they took her to emergency but they would not oerform any procedures until she paid in advance, that to me is scary.

Doctors get paid very, very well here, they are paid by the government based on their profession and per patient they see, I have many good friends that are family doctors or specialize in an area that went to the states as they make two or three times as much, same with nursing. The states has massive recruitment functions here a few times a year as we have one of the largest medical universities in Canada, what is offered is amazing.

Now the down side is we pay major income tax, let's say I make $100,000 this year, I will pay around $39,000 in income tax, everything I buy except food is taxed at 13% also, tax on gas is around 36%, so you pay for it in the end. I am not that old but have paid more than enough tax for a teenager to retire without ever working.

Our system is not perfect, I have travelled to just about every country in the world over the years, I would not trade what we have for anything I have seen.

The trip to Costa Rica was simply amazing, I am not a beach person so.....ATV's are allowed on the roads as not many roads are paved, in fact it's rare to see a car, all four wheel drive SUV's and Trucks, also noticed at three resorts I was at they do not have lawn mowers, they use a trimmer that has four strings on the head, it attaches to a body harness and they wear an apron much like a butcher that goes right down to their boots, it's made of some kind of leather, man the quality of the cutting is top drawer.

Anyhow I travelled around the forrest looking for wood artists and wood mills while my daughter was in school, made some excellent contacts, talked to a lawyer and started the process of forming a company there, doesn't cost must, about $500.00 USD. I worked in two woodworking shops, pretty primitive but the quality of the work was like I have never seen, I can't speak Spanish but many words are similar to french so I managed.....anyhow I tought two artists quite a few things and they in turn tought me quite a few things, it was amazing.

I went diving one day which was fun, the water on the Pacific side where I was is very clear, sharks are everywhere so I opted to stay on the ground most of the time I was there. Heat is amazing, well for me anyhow, you wake to temps around 85 and it gets up to 114 in the day, I adjusted after a couple of days but it would be desperate hard to do physical labour, at least for me.

There is big demand for excavation type equipment, they do everything by hand, there are no excavation companies in any of the areas I went to yet a lot of construction that is a desperate slow process, I am not sure why someone from the states, Canada or Europe hasn't started a company to do this other than the fact you pay a 60% import tax on anything that has a motor, everything is diesel but you will not see locals with a vehicle, most walk, some have bikes many have dirt bikes or scooters.

I'm considering buying land as I know the value of the wood, you are allowed to cut wood as long as it is not near water, land say 20 min from the beach goes for about $25.00 to $90.00 a square meter, that is dirt cheap, I looked at a 100 acre piece I am very interested in, it is mainly Cocobolo, a wood from the rosewood family, the wood if harvested is worth twice the cost of the land, I would never clear cut but it's so thick that even thinning would pay for the land.

It's a long trip, from the time I left my house until my daughter and I arrived at the resort, it was 21 hours. I did learn of a much shorter and a much cheaper route, I can fly direct from Halifax to Florida via Westjet a Canadian company, then you guys have a sarrier called Sprint that I never herd of that flies direct to Liberia, from Liberia to where my daughter is going to school is 50 min via the highway or 20 min through what they call the Congo trail, it's four wheel drive country but it's the way I prefer to go.

I am going back in four weeks to persue two business ventures, I met with the mayor of the village I was staying in, he spoke fairly good english, they welcome anyone willing to spend money.

An average worker makes $400.00 USD a month, works 12 to 16 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Anyhow I could go on and on, it was a work holiday for me, I made tremendous connections in a very short time, this was not really the goal of this trip but I am so driven when I see opportunity it isn't funny.....

Steve
08-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Andy,

I missed this post. I am kinda confused, I thought you were going to an island off the western side of central / south America but was I wrong? Were you somewhere in Africa?

picframer
08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Andy,

I missed this post. I am kinda confused, I thought you were going to an island off the western side of central / south America but was I wrong? Were you somewhere in Africa?

I was in Costa Rica, on the west coast of the country in Tamarindo

ritchiem
08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I cannot argue too much about our health care system. We all do pay for it in the long run with our tax dollars...but it is nice not getting a bill after a visit or being scared to go to the hospital if you hurt yourself because you might not be able to afford it.

Some of the waits have been long at the emergency room...however getting to my family doc is not a problem.

Employers do not have to pay a premium to their employees....however if they have staff wage payouts over $400,000 per year they need to pay EHT (Employer Health Tax)...I am pretty sure that those are still the numbers.