PDA

View Full Version : New to this in Ringgold Ga

brentc857
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Hello all

I am just getting started and still researching. I found this site and thought it would help......

Steve
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Brent,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

temeculagrassgators
08-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Welcome To The Forum Brent! If you have any questions we are here to help!
~Trevor

arthur712
08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum Brent.

brentc857
08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Brent,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

I lost my sales job due to the econ. and was just about to take another sales job when I realized that the only job I was happy doing was working for a guy in fl who owned his own lawn care business. So over the years I have acquired several comm. grade equipment ad wasn't really using it. The only thing I missing is a comm. grade mower and a trailer but those things will come with time. I am lucky to not have to invest a lot up front. Plan to start slow and steady.

Steve
08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh that is fascinating! You have a great background there.

What did you think of sales? How will you use those skills with your new business?

Do you have advice for others on how to improve their sales skills?

brentc857
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Did a test area today. Handed out 30 fliers in one neighborhood and so far got one call back and landed the job!!!!!!!!!! first one :D:D:D

Steve
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
That is fantastic!

With your background in sales, what did you think of sales? How will you use those skills with your new business?

brentc857
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh that is fascinating! You have a great background there.

What did you think of sales? How will you use those skills with your new business?

The best advise on sales is to sell yourself poeple will pay more for something if they really like you. So be yourself and be polite, try to find some common ground with your customer. Be aware of the customers environment look around talk about what you see people like to talk about themselves and there belongings

Steve
08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
That is great! What kinds of things have you thought about doing to really help your business stand out?

brentc857
08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
That is great! What kinds of things have you thought about doing to really help your business stand out?

a side from the obvious like great customer service and quality service, I have come up with a catchy name and slogan. I have also decided not to low ball my bids (this came from reading your advise on this site) instead I am offering five dollars off the 2nd cut as well as every tenth cut for free. I am also offering a free cut with every referral that signs because of this customer.

Steve
08-11-2009, 10:01 AM
That is fantastic! You are doing a great job with all this!

brentc857
08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Steve,

Do you charge a separate charge such as 1 or 2 dollars as a surcharge for chemicals, rags, bags, etc....?

Steve
08-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Well I guess theoretically you could but I think ultimately that kind of stuff should be included in the price.

I would think if a customer saw an invoice with rags, bags as line items for a few bucks, they might feel they are being nickled and dimed to death.

The chemicals though, that is another service you could be charging for as an upsell.

That's my view at least.

Anyone else wanna jump in?

brentc857
08-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Well I guess theoretically you could but I think ultimately that kind of stuff should be included in the price.

I would think if a customer saw an invoice with rags, bags as line items for a few bucks, they might feel they are being nickled and dimed to death.

The chemicals though, that is another service you could be charging for as an upsell.

That's my view at least.

Anyone else wanna jump in?

Thanks Steve