PDA

View Full Version : Unprofessional Looking?

Seann
08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
While I have the means to buy a trailor for my new scag 48" walk behind. I will have no place to store the trailor during the season. I would not leave it next to the house for my neighbors to gripe about. My question is.. if I start out next spring with the mower in the back of my f150 along with other essential gear, will I look like a moron using ramps to unload? And will that effect the jobs that I am after ? Just a thought, Im getting nervous "overthinking" every little thing in my head right now. Any words of encouragement or other solutions would be helpful.

Thanks for the help

Seann

majoe7
08-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Seann,

A couple of ideas for you.

1. Buy a Canopy Tent to cover your trailer and buy the same color tarps to make drop down walls and enclose it. It doesn’t need to be too high just enough to cover your trailer. Your neighbors won’t be able to see it?

2. Store it in your garage if your have one.

3. Put your Scag in your garage and put your trailer at a friends or families house or store your trailer in a storage facility and lock it up without your Scag on it.

4. Park it at your house and let the neighbors yell at you “When are you going to move that trailer?"

Just some ideas to get you started.

John

Steve
08-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Hi Seann,

Welcome to our forum.

This is a really good post. My first thought was if you could get the smallest trailer you could find for your mower only and then haul the other equipment in your truck bed. Then make a little section surrounded with bushes where you could park your trailer.

If it's just a flat bed trailer, I can't see anyone having a problem with it. Or maybe get a fold up trailer? It might be a pain but if it's helpful, then why not try it.

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/img/products/850TA.jpg

Do you have a picture of your yard area where you are planning on parking it? It would be interesting to see what we could come up with.

What's your view on this?

mark123
08-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't use a trailer. I use ramps. You calling me a moron? That's it!!!! :mad:

:p

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me I need a trailer which is exactly why I'm not getting one. I'm stubborn and that's the end of the story.

mark123
08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I should get a pic of my loaded truck to show how I've got everything packed. Everything fits in the bed so there's no reason for me to buy a trailer. The other guys in town use the bed because they bag up all the clippings. I don't bag if I can help it so I don't fill up the back with grass.

Seann
08-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't use a trailer. I use ramps. You calling me a moron? That's it!!!! :mad:

:p

Anyway, everyone keeps telling me I need a trailer which is exactly why I'm not getting one. I'm stubborn and that's the end of the story.

No, Im not saying that!!! LOL It just seems everyones got a trailor. Ive figured out if i put a gate on my fence that runs next to my garage, i can get a 5x8 and wheel it around pretty easily and keep it behind the gate when not in use. neighbors wont see it and it wont be stolen as easily.:)

mark123
08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
No, Im not saying that!!! LOL It just seems everyones got a trailor. Ive figured out if i put a gate on my fence that runs next to my garage, i can get a 5x8 and wheel it around pretty easily and keep it behind the gate when not in use. neighbors wont see it and it wont be stolen as easily.:)

LOL! :D Just messing around.

I really really don't want a trailer.

Steve
08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Ive figured out if i put a gate on my fence that runs next to my garage, i can get a 5x8 and wheel it around pretty easily and keep it behind the gate when not in use.

That sounds like a great plan! Keep us updated on how all this works out.

jasonw
08-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Do what works for you. If others don't like it screw them. Not having the expense of a trailer just put more money in your pocket anyway. I do have a trailer but mostly because I am a very lazy person and the tailgate of my truck is about 4' off the ground so there is no way I am putting my riding mower in the bed and I am way to scared to drive it up 2X4s and to cheap to buy ramps so it goes on the trailer. I put the chipper on the trailer because I love my truck and don't want to scratch the bed. If its a regular job my push mower and weed whackers and anything ells I need goes in the back of the truck. I see a lot of guys around here with full size trucks with nearly empty trailers. I am convinced they show up with a trailer just to try to look better and charge more. This is an old appliance trick. Goto the customers house. Unload your whole truck and hook up all your computers. Do a small job and charge them as if it were a large one. Very old trick and dishonest and unethical. This in noway is meant to call anyone dishonest if you truly need a trailer, just those that use it for the wrong reasons.,

Travor
08-09-2009, 04:02 AM
I own that 4x8 folding trailer that Steve posted in his pic. I paid $329 at Harbor Freight but it's on sale right now for $299. I went there yesterday and they refunded the different. :p On the way to Harbor Freight I passed a guy on the freeway driving on F-150, no tailgate. He had a push mower on the end of the bed, some kind of a walk behind near the cab, and a bunch of equipment thrown in there. The push mower was held in with some rope. Needless to say, he can get to a job, do the work, and move along just the same as someone with an $800 trailer.

Steve
08-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi Travor,

Very interesting! Can you tell us what made you decide to purchase that type of trailer? What was the benefit of this one versus others for your specific situation?

Travor
08-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Hi Travor,

Very interesting! Can you tell us what made you decide to purchase that type of trailer? What was the benefit of this one versus others for your specific situation?
It was strictly a price point for me. I have an SUV so it's impossible to haul around a mower and equipment. There were some 4x6 trailers I found, mesh floor, gate, angle iron rails, etc but there were starting out around $450.

BTW: how do I change my title from "junior member" to something else? :)

jasonw
08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Keep posting and your title will change. It says that because you only have 15 posts. I have to argue the fact about equipment in an SUV. Before I got my truck a few weeks ago I was using a Ford Bronco2 and all my stuff fit in there fine. Granted the full size truck is nice but an SUV is good to, keeps all your equipment out of the weather. I also used a 1981 Toyota station wagon with no problems.

mark123
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
... I have to argue the fact about equipment in an SUV. Before I got my truck a few weeks ago I was using a Ford Bronco2 and all my stuff fit in there fine. Granted the full size truck is nice but an SUV is good to, keeps all your equipment out of the weather. I also used a 1981 Toyota station wagon with no problems.
Yep, it should work in a pinch. The only issue I'd have with it is the gas smell or even exhaust fumes in the cab. http://members.verizon.net/vze47msr/smiles/1802confused.gif http://members.verizon.net/vze47msr/smiles/goofy.gif http://members.verizon.net/vze47msr/smiles/vollkommenauf.gif

Travor
08-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, we still haul around our kids in the SUV each day. 2 car seats are in the back so I really can't have that "gas" smell going up their little noses. ;) But you're right, putting lawn equipment inside an SUV can be done. Do you leave the rear hatch open or does everything fit inside and you can close the hatch?

jasonw
08-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, we still haul around our kids in the SUV each day. 2 car seats are in the back so I really can't have that "gas" smell going up their little noses. ;) But you're right, putting lawn equipment inside an SUV can be done. Do you leave the rear hatch open or does everything fit inside and you can close the hatch?

I closed the rear hatch with no problem. I fit a push mower, 2 weed eaters, gas cans, shovel, ho, rake, trashcan, bug and weed killer, weed bucket, 2 tool boxes and a bunch of misc stuff with no problem. I hauled 2 kids around as well. It was a pain loading and unloading almost daily but it can be done. On a side note I never ever had gas, bug or weed killer fumes in the cab.