PDA

View Full Version : grass is not growing so we are not mowing

turfmaster
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
I know other parts of the country are getting drenched with rain. In my part of the world we have received about a 1/4 inch of rain since early June. The only mowing has been with the customers who have sprinkler systems. Luckily we have had some landscaping jobs to fill some of the void. :mad:

swstout
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I know other parts of the country are getting drenched with rain. In my part of the world we have received about a 1/4 inch of rain since early June. The only mowing has been with the customers who have sprinkler systems. Luckily we have had some landscaping jobs to fill some of the void. :mad:

They just started water restrictions here Monday. No washing cars. Odd even lawn watering. If your house number is even you can water Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If it is odd, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

The grass is growing, but nobody is paying to have it done. Unemployment rate is over 25% and those who still have jobs are not spending money due to the uncertainty of their next paycheck.

The stimulus package is "REALLY" working here. That is sarcasm in case you were wondering!

Stev

Steve
08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
A while back we were talking about renting temporary sprinklers.

At what point is it worth while to get a hose, sprinkler and a timer and hook it up on a customers lawn? Or is that never a good idea?

swstout
08-05-2009, 05:48 PM

At what point is it worth while to get a hose, sprinkler and a timer and hook it up on a customers lawn? Or is that never a good idea?

I have mixed feelings on this.
Pro:
1. Another service for the customer
2. Another possible income source
3. Something the competitors haven't thought of yet

Cons:
1. The customer might just turn it off to save on his water bill
2. There could be theft
3. Expense. Lowe's has a timer unit that controls 4 hoses for sprinklers.

Timer unit $19.95
4 sprinklers $50.00
4 hoses $100.00 $169.95 (about) plus tax

Steve

Steve
08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Well I guess it could at least be an option at times.

Let us know if this at all is a possibility for you.

turfmaster
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

It may work for a few customers. I think the majority of my clients don't mind the drought because they are saving money on lawn care.

wrgrounds
08-07-2009, 12:30 AM
As of today we are 7.85" below average rain for this year. Not a good year to lose my regular job a try to build up my mowing business.

Steve
08-07-2009, 07:10 AM
As of today we are 7.85" below average rain for this year. Not a good year to lose my regular job a try to build up my mowing business.

Have you been experimenting offering other services?

turfmaster
08-07-2009, 09:38 PM
It's raining it's pouring the lawns will start growing!
Just finished last landscaping job today. Maybe now we can get back to mowing. :D

wrgrounds
08-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Have you been experimenting offering other services?

Can't think of anything else I could do other than the installations themselves and I am not set up for that.

Truck is being lettered in the morning, and we are registered to be in 4 parades yet this year.

Hope to have some pictures of both maybe Sunday night.

llelywynn
08-30-2009, 08:59 PM
you might want to start charging a monthly fee for lawn maintenance. Yes you would basically work more in the growing season for the same price, but it all adds up in the end. I have found this to be alot better through the slow times.