PDA

View Full Version : Shouting = Money

CHEESE2009
08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Today was payday. I did the rounds & collected from several customers.

Though I was disappointed as MANY of them did not leave payment for me to pickup. Even my good customers!

Not as bad considering it's only the second day out of 5 to make their payments.

The problem is the ones who are behind on last months payments.

I had to go through hell to get one customer to pay me, eventually she gave in & did the right thing.

- The best customer !

I drop by this special customers home. He owes me for 2 months.

Scott: I'm here to collect, I left you messages on your phone saying I would be here.

Customer: I don't have any messages on my phone.

Scott: I left 8 on your cellphone, 8 on your house phone, & 3 emails.

Customer: That's odd, I didn't get anything.

Scott: I even spoke with your wife, she said you were ready to pay as of today.

Customer: Well how much do I owe you?

Scott: $215.00

Customer: What! Impossible.

Scott: You owe me for 2 months, it adds up when you miss a payment.

Customer: I wasn't aware that I had to pay you for last month.

Scott: Alright listen, your f'ing with me.

Customer: I'm being serious, I had no idea! And I'm not paying, I'm canceling as of now!

Scott: DON'T F' WITH ME!

-

A couple of his neighbors looked at us after I shouted...

The customer went inside & in two seconds came out with an envelope with the full payment & on the envelope it said, "Thanks Scott!" from his wife.

I told him the service is canceled as he requested.

-

As I drive away his neighbor stops me and says, "Yeah he was like that with the last company. I also let him borrow my saw & wheelbarrow for 3 months & he never gave it back, he says he's still using it"

What a day... I'm tired of being tested.

Steve
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
This was the greatest post title I have ever seen.

As soon as I read the title, I started to shout out loud. I did this for like a minute and then waited for the money. LOL Nothing happened.

But then I read your post and realized what you meant. I need to shout at someone who owes me money LOL.

... but seriously.

I am sorry that guy did that but I am glad you got paid.

When you got to the end of the first month and he still owed you, why did you decide to keep going into month 2? What was it about him that made it ok? I bet others run into this as well.

Little's
08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
All my customers are due at the first of every month too. If I havent been paid by the 15th. I quit servicing. But that has only happened maybe twice in the last couple of years. I dont know why, but all my customers pay right on time. I never have to call them or anything. I wonder if you end up with problem payers as a result of where you gained them, what I mean is your method of getting your customers may be getting you problem payers, I dont know, just thinking out loud. How did you get the customers that are late paying you?

CHEESE2009
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Referral customers always pay late, no idea why.

At the beginning he seemed like a good guy, he was very friendly & made himself seem like a "friend".

I usually cut my customers a bit of slack when pay day comes along, though sometimes I'm so caught up I let the week pass, then the next... It just adds up & becomes a problem for EVERYONE. Weeks go by pretty fast, & sometimes I don't remind myself of that.

I ask for payment once a month, the numbers are easier on the eyes instead of 3 digits. It's a simple transaction. If the customer waits, or I don't hold their hand, the money adds up & it scares them, "reality sinks in".

As for this customer, he thought he could play me & get free service. I've known people like him & saw right through his crap & it really ticked me off.

What REALLY bothers me is that he's one of the customers I have who ask for weeding to be done, & hedges, BEFORE he's made any lawn maintenance payment. Silly man!

I figured out a way to collect payment from different clients.

I use, "interac email money transfer" along with "cash"

I do my best not to accept checks, I don't like to wait 5-7 business days to find out that it bounced, it's crap & too risky. It's also hard to keep track of, making sure it went through.

I got a check & put it in my bank, it's been a month & I still don't know if it went through or not.

I'd like a hand held credit card machine, that would be too cool!

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Steve
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
What REALLY bothers me is that he's one of the customers I have who ask for weeding to be done, & hedges, BEFORE he's made any lawn maintenance payment. Silly man!

What did you do when he asked that and hadn't made a payment yet?

Could you do this with your laptop through paypal with a wireless internet connection on the spot?

majoe7
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
II figured out a way to collect payment from different clients.
I do my best not to accept checks, I don't like to wait 5-7 business days to find out that it bounced, it's crap & too risky. It's also hard to keep track of, making sure it went through.
I got a check & put it in my bank, it's been a month & I still don't know if it went through or not.

Scott,
Maybe you can invoice all you clients once a month or how ever is deems necessary. Make a note next to the amount due something like, After 15 days, 20 % late fee will be added to the bill. After the 15th day of no payment, service will cease till payment is rendered. It may make some folks mad, but you do work for a living and their payment is your living. Make one blank invoice and get a bunch of copies. Fill it out and give it to all your clients.

As for the hand held credit machine. It a great idea but you have to invest in buying one at say $300, set it up with a bank to accept your transactions hook it up to a wireless unit so you can transmit you transactions. Some charge a monthly fee along with 3% of your total transactions. They need to make some money too. You can recoup it by putting the cost into the service.

I can do credit transaction through my I-Phone in case a clients is short on cash and needs to make a payment. It cost me an on time fee of $60 to set up and I give them 3% of sales. My phone also has wireless and Wi-Fi services. Also I can make invoices from my phone and e-mail them to my clients. I can connect my phone to my printer and print out invoices, job orders or notes on the site. It is handy.

Maybe you can use some of these ideas.

John

justin_time
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Referral customers always pay late, no idea why.

At the beginning he seemed like a good guy, he was very friendly & made himself seem like a "friend".

I usually cut my customers a bit of slack when pay day comes along, though sometimes I'm so caught up I let the week pass, then the next... It just adds up & becomes a problem for EVERYONE. Weeks go by pretty fast, & sometimes I don't remind myself of that.

I ask for payment once a month, the numbers are easier on the eyes instead of 3 digits. It's a simple transaction. If the customer waits, or I don't hold their hand, the money adds up & it scares them, "reality sinks in".

As for this customer, he thought he could play me & get free service. I've known people like him & saw right through his crap & it really ticked me off.

I figured out a way to collect payment from different clients.

Sounds like you don't have Gopher Software :p

CHEESE2009
08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Sounds like you don't have Gopher Software :p

LOL!

What do I need to get it? I have a regular piece of crap phone. Having anything other than a brick will break when I touch it.

I don't wear watches or have fancy things just because I'm wrecklace.

All summer I've only worn 3-4 shirts lol... my 5th shirt got torn..

I walked through a gate and my shirt got stuck to it & as I walked my shirt ripped off & my customer cried laughing.