PDA

View Full Version : A business misperception or is it true?

Steve
05-11-2006, 12:49 PM
How often when someone is getting into the green industry do you hear the following:

"Why do this?

I think there is a huge void in the lawn-care business. A lot of people can be taken advantage of. I have knowledge in this area and I think I can really help people. I just want to offer reliable, honest and educated services to residential areas."

Do you find this to be the case or is this a misperception? Is there really a 'huge void?'

This was taken from a business profile (http://thetimes-tribune.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16487868&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id=415891&rfi=6) on Dan Bantell Owner and operator of DB Lawn Solutions.

tiedeman
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
My personal opinion is that yes, you can take advantage of people very easily if you wanted to. Case in point today. I was spreading some black dirt for a customer, I quoted them on the price and they agreed. Well, I came up about 1/4 yard short. I could turn around and charge that customer for that extra dirt, but since it was my fault in miscalculation I will absorb that cost.

I can't believe the number of times I hear wrong information when I take over a new customer from a previous LCO. I am just amazed that the LCO would first tell them that, and then next for them to believe that.

Steve
05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Good point and good example.

Have you found customers appreciative of when you handle things honestly?