PDA

View Full Version : How important it is to stand out.

Steve
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
"Developing the plan, I realized I really need to emphasize what makes (me) different from everybody else," Walker said. "In the landscape industry where price is usually the bottom line, it's really tough to sell yourself on any point other than that, but it's something that, in order to survive, you need to do to set yourself apart."

That is a great quote from Peter Walker, of Hartlawn Services LLC. We all need to constantly think how are we going to stand out. You don't want to stand out on price alone because there is always someone willing to go out out of business faster than you. So think and focus on other ways to stand out. Once you find something that meshes with your company, roll with it. Promote it. Let everyone know this is how you stand out and why you should be their LCO.

Budding businesses get boost (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=416021) - Walker said he started his business with some financial support from his parents.

The presence of other established lawn care businesses did not discourage him.

"I realized pretty quickly the area was growing so fast," he said. "Even though there were other competitors, there were still a lot of customers to be had."

Walker's business has experienced rapid but consistent growth, expanding by more than 20% almost every year, he said. A year ago, he took out a commercial loan to buy out competitor Excelawn Landscape Maintenance Inc.