PDA

View Full Version : newbie in orlando

RKTaylor
08-02-2009, 04:43 AM
hey guys, ive been in orlando for about 2 yrs. i moved from nc to do an internship with disne. ive recently been laid off and am seriously considering starting my own gig very soon. i have 3 yrs experience and am very motivated. ive spent some time on lawnchat.com and was impressed. great information, so i thought id join the forum in hopes to continue the education and to do some networking. looking forward to being part of the forum :)

Robert

arthur712
08-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Whats up Local boy!

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the Layoff! I have a bunch of friends that got laid off from Disney.

It can only get better from here, Stay positive and you will do great things!

This forum can help you with tons of great information.

Thanks!
Artie

Steve
08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to our forum.

What's keeping you now from taking the jump and doing it?

What's going on in your mind as you consider all this? Pros? Cons?

Share with us some of your thought process.

RKTaylor
08-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks Artie. Congrats member of the month!

Steve, first off let me say that Ive read much of your online stuff and checked out many of your podcast, you seem like a very knowledgeable guy!

There's nothing really stopping me from jumping into it, I think Im ready honestly. I really look forward to the flexibility of being my own boss, interacting and meeting various people, and being outdoors. However Im a little worried that i may be getting too late of a start for this season. i would keep things pretty simple for starters, just basic LC. so Im wondering if the slow season would kill my momentum. Also, Ive asked numerous people whether i should start out licensed and insured, or should i grow into it, say after 10 loyal customers? i get varied responses.

I plan on starting with 3 neighborhoods, passing out fliers in the first two, knocking on doors in addition to the fliers for the third. Ive called various companies and talked to a few residents in the area, anywhere from 25-40 seems to be the price for basic LC services. should i put a median price in the flier? was thinking 30.....

Thanks in advance for all your insight!

arthur712
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=RKTaylor;55675]Thanks Artie. Congrats member of the month!
QUOTE]

Thanks Robert!!

Steve
08-02-2009, 05:30 PM
There's nothing really stopping me from jumping into it, I think Im ready honestly. I really look forward to the flexibility of being my own boss, interacting and meeting various people, and being outdoors. However Im a little worried that i may be getting too late of a start for this season.

It's never too late and it's never too early. You get in when you get in and then you make the best of what you can at the moment and grow.

Have you thought of services you could offer in the winter? Could you do some minor home repairs? Gutter cleaning? Holiday outdoor decorations? etc?

i would keep things pretty simple for starters, just basic LC. so Im wondering if the slow season would kill my momentum. Also, Ive asked numerous people whether i should start out licensed and insured, or should i grow into it, say after 10 loyal customers? i get varied responses.

Your area may or may not require any licensing. As far as insurance goes, if you have assets and you are doing this professionally, anything that happens as you do it, you are liable for it and you can lose your assets. Some go without insurance, but it would be the same as driving a car without insurance. Do some people do it? Yes. Is it risky? Yes.

I plan on starting with 3 neighborhoods, passing out fliers in the first two, knocking on doors in addition to the fliers for the third. Ive called various companies and talked to a few residents in the area, anywhere from 25-40 seems to be the price for basic LC services. should i put a median price in the flier? was thinking 30.....

There is a debate as to whether prices on flyers is a good idea or not. I think ultimately it's better not to. Otherwise you are selling on price and you would rather sell them you and your ability to service them first, which can bring you a higher premium.

RKTaylor
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I can definately do some minor housework, holiday lights, etc. I believe licensed and insured is the way to go. I want to do this in a professional manner. Other than knocking on doors and using fliers, any other simple ideas for getting new customers without breaking the bank? I plan on listing on craigslist and google maps as suggested on the podcasts. :)

Steve
08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Other than knocking on doors and using fliers, any other simple ideas for getting new customers without breaking the bank?

I think it comes down to letting people you know, what you are up to. If your friends, family and neighbors know you are offering this service and they need the service, they will call you.

Get them to help you promote your business too. Give them business cards.

Also, are you a member of any social organizations? Market through them as well.

The more people you can meet, the better. Run for a local political office! Thats a great way to meet people too.

Keep us posted.

kmbolognini
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Just go for it , it is never to early or late in the season , started as a part time gig in winter with no hope 2 years ago and now am looking for a way to hire because of growth . Good luck

Steve
08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Just go for it , it is never to early or late in the season , started as a part time gig in winter with no hope 2 years ago and now am looking for a way to hire because of growth

What would you attribute your success to? What advice would you have as far as how to get it off the ground? Marketing suggestions? Or anything else you can think of?

kmbolognini
08-30-2009, 12:40 AM
We busted our butts , door hangers did not work fliers did , word of mouth did , we bid every thing , and when we failed we learned . We started with with 3 we now have more then we can handle including commercial . Never stop man it's business and in this economy you gotta make it .

RKTaylor
08-30-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks for the advice.... glad things are working well for you!

RKTaylor
08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
question..... where did you put the fliers, why do you think they worked over door hangers?

and what did you do in the very beginning about getting licensed and/or insured?

did you advertise for commercial and residential or just residential?

kmbolognini
08-31-2009, 12:32 AM
At first I hit family, friends and neighbors that had lawn services already . Took awhile to talk them out of the other guys but I had gotten a license and insurance and I know that these other guys do no not also incorporated . Not sure why the door hangers did not work but have not given up on them will try again for the fall for a winterize fertilizer . Nice bright fliers work hung on the mailbox flags or door knobs worked too instead of the litter that the other guys do when they throw their fliers in my yard in a bag of rocks . I went with residential first until I was able to afford Dixie Choppers and a guy or 2 to help every now and again and it also gave me time to build up some speed and confidence . The door hangers I used 3000doorhangers.com and got 3000 of them for like $180 pretty good deal for a trail shipping was free , now they are offering me a website and all kinds of deals cheap . Good luck , male me your friend and keep in touch .

RKTaylor
10-07-2009, 04:03 AM
hey guys, sorry ive been out of the loop for a while. but just to follow up, its been about a month since ive started this little business. things are slow, but ive got three contracts(verbal agreements) so far. did a few one time gigs. the only way im advertising is on craigslist. every morning 2 or 3 posts. sometimes the phone rings, sometimes it doesnt. im also listed on google maps.

fliers did not work at all! passed out about 100 and got absolutely nothing. knocked on a few doors, but mostly no response. i try to price at about 35 an hour. i think the average is 45. usually 100 a month for weekly service. im willing to spend some extra time playing catch up on the first visit with little to no additional charge in order to get the contract. i always leave a receipt saying thank you in an envelope with a few business cards after completing a new job.

also, i decided to get licensed and registered the fictitious name, just to be legit and have an edge on the average mow n go guys.

thanks so much for everyones help on the forum. let me know what you guys think so far. much room for improvement and growth. comments appreciated.

Thanks
Robert
All About Grass

Steve
10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi Robert,

What kinds of services are you promoting now in the month of October?