PDA

View Full Version : I got another new toy.

jasonw
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Check it out. It took me 2.5 hours to mow one lawn with my push mower at this ranch on Monday so I said never again. Wednesday I came home with this, woohoo.

Steve
07-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Oh that is great! What's your review of the tractor so far? Likes/Dislikes?

jasonw
07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
So far likes are everything. The only problem I have is it is a fairly steep decline with an off camber turn to get to the back of the farm and the mower is very scary to drive on this off camber serfice. If you happen to flip you will roll about 30 feet down the embankment so care and caution is a must on slopes but I love everything ells. the 17.5HP is way more power than I use and the 42" cut is awesome as well. The only thing I don't like is TB puts a usable life of 250 hours on it. I don't know why but that's what the manual says.

swstout
07-31-2009, 06:31 PM
I bought a Sears tow behind box blade for lawn tractors. It was for sale by one of my competitors. List on it was $229.95. I got it for $75.00. Ir's small enough to get it into a job I have coming up with a fence and a 48" gate. The bos blade is 46 inches wide and my lawn tractor has a 42" deck so it will be larger than my treads.

Currently I am using an old set of box springs that I put cinder blocks on for weight. Doesn't look very professional but get the job done with many passes. This should work (and look) better.

Also, yesterday I received a call from our local " Hartsville Happenings" web site asking if they could include my Wordpress blog in their web site. I thought about for maybe a millionth of a second and said yes!

Will let you know how it works next week.

Steve

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats on your purchase.

One of the great things about being in business for yourself is the ability to buy (and put to use) new toys.

Keith

jasonw
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I was just talking about this with my father the other day. If you are the type of person that beleaves in honest hard work and loves gadgets then get into the lawn care business. This way are you gadgets will be paid for lol.

jasonw
08-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Oh that is great! What's your review of the tractor so far? Likes/Dislikes?

Steve I remembered one more dislike. Remember my little trailer? This thing just barely fits on it. So close that I am betting a cop would stop me for overloading the trailer.

justin_time
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't know how long that tractor is going to last you. I have 450 hrs on mine and it's a 20 hp with a 42 inch deck and i almost need to get myself a new tractor since it's falling apart. If you plan on doing some commercial yards in the future, i would suggest a ZTR mower

jasonw
08-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I purchased this primarily for large residential yards. More than likely it will only be used for 1/4-1/2 acre lawns. I was rated at 2 acres or less so it should do ok. I think along the lines with anything maintenance is the key to longevity. I stated this once before and see it all the time. A lot of people give these things bad reviews but they think they can buy it, use it hard and put it away wet and never maintain it. I have some equipment that has far outlived its useful life by several years and still working great. I am a huge stickler for maintenance though. Every time my equipment is used at the end of the day it gets cleaned and lubed and in some cases even gets some polish. Thats why my 6 year old mower still looks new and runs well enough to get the job done. The fact of the matter is though my old mower is just not cutting it "literally" with some of the business I am getting. 2.5 hours to mow one lawn is not acceptable to me but with my old 3.5hp mush mower I don't think I will do any better. With this new one on the other hand it should greatly speed up the process. Most mowing jobs I do are not hourly, they are a flat rate so I can be there for 30 minutes or all day and still get paid the same. Because of this time is of the essence. The faster I get it done and get out of there while not skimping on the quality of work the more I get for per hour funds. I have no doubt this new toy will well more than pay for itself long before its useful life has been reached. I understand though it would not be a good choice for commercial accounts. I will be keeping everyone up to date on how its working as well as the new trimmer. I really think Troy-bilt got a bad wrap from the aforementioned people that don't perform even the recommended maintenance. The trimmer has reached and passed its first recommended oil change and valve adjustment as per the hours of use in the owners manual. I had an issue with it last time out where it didn't want to idle. After getting home and checking the valves I adjusted the idle screw a little bit and now she purrs again. There is a lot of vibration from the 4 stroke so I am sure all that happened is the screw vibrated out a little bit. The after market 4 line head really is crap for fine edging work. It kicks but in the brush departments but really tears things up with finer work. To fix the problem I removed 2 of the lines from the 4 line head to make it a 2 line head and it seemed to help. I just need to keep in mind when doing said finer work that the 4 line head sits about 6 inches lower than the factory head.

Steve
08-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Steve I remembered one more dislike. Remember my little trailer? This thing just barely fits on it. So close that I am betting a cop would stop me for overloading the trailer.

Can you take a picture of this?

jasonw
08-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Yes. I will see if I have time tomorow and toss it up on the trailer to show what I am talking about. I can see my next new toy being a new trailer lol.

sasquatchmonk
08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
congradulations on your troybilt purchase. I bought the next step up back in april which is the bronco. It is a good mower, cuts awesome. the only downfall about it is when you go to change the blades. you have to take the whole deck off. it was a pain. took me and 2 other guys 3 hours to get it all back on. well we took one to many steps, it was of course like 1230 at night. My point is, screw taking the deck off, get some ramps and park it up on. I am now saving up for one of those john deere z225.

swstout
08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
the only downfall about it is when you go to change the blades. you have to take the whole deck off. it was a pain. took me and 2 other guys 3 hours to get it all back on. well we took one to many steps, it was of course like 1230 at night. My point is, screw taking the deck off, get some ramps and park it up on.

I use a fender jack to raise the back of the tractor high enough to get to the blades easier. My deck has 3 blades and I can change all 3 in about 20 minutes alone.

Steve

jasonw
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
What I normally would do is put the front tires just over the rail on the back of the trailer and put jack stands under the axle. This way I can slid my crawler right under it and get er done. This may not be the safest way but I have never had a problem. One thing I didn't see mentioned is make dou8ble sure the battery is disconnected. I go the extra mile and pull the coil wire as well. I have seen a hand get nailed in a blade "my fathers" it dose not look like fun.

jasonw
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Can you take a picture of this?

Steve.

Here are those pictures, sorry it took so long. Looks like I am just asking for trouble dosnt it?