PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Memory With Your Grandpa?

kdexpd
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Just lost my grandpa this last fall and it's been on my mind pretty heavy for the past few weeks. We were very close and I guess you just never really think you'll lose someone until it happens. I always think of that 80's song "Don't Know What You've Got, Till It's Gone". I deal with it well because I know he's watching me everyday and is always with me...probably telling me that I'm doing it all wrong! HAHA! Anyways, my favorite memory of him was when he would take me out working with him on those hot summer days back when I'd come up to stay with him and grandma. He'd always be mowing someone's lawn or out at the farm working on clearing fence rows. He'd always let me ride the mower while he trimmed, and you'd have thought I'd struck the lottery. That was such a thrill for me to run the mower. I felt like the king of the world on that old John Deere. Looking back, I'd trade anything just to have a day with him and that old mower. He wasn't the most patient with me, but I always knew he loved me. After a few years, he started taking me out to cut wood with him. Then I graduated from the riding mower to the old 9N Ford tractor! He taught me all I know about mowing and cutting trees and I thank him everyday for that.

So what's your favorite memory with your grandpa?

In loving memory of Raymond Buckallew
I miss you Papa!!

andyjoneslawncare
07-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Maternal grampa (pop-pop)- They took me to Norway to visit my aunt in 7th grade. He was a humanitarian who taught me about doing things for others. He practiced what he preached and gave up everything to help people, which took him from Hiroshima to Washington state after Mt ST Helen erupted to a little farm in Arkansas that taught people how to be self supportive and independent so they could teach poor people in africa how to get water, farm, and even cook with methane from manure. My paternal grandfather took me on his boat in the great lakes a month every summer for 10 years. He taught me about my family heritage, the importance of being responsible with money (he made me write a budget for the $20 I had in spending money for the month), and the importance of an education. He also taught me (without him even knowing) to always look for good in people. He could meet someone on death row and come out with something nice to say about them. He always listens more than he speaks and tries to learn about people. He's 85 now and I just got back from SC where we met at my aunt and uncles. I wanted to get my kids to meet him again. They're 5 and 6 and I wanted to make sure they knew him. Hopefully we'll see them again. As far as raising kids, he told me to yell at them and make them scared of making big mistakes before they do them (drinking, drugs, pregnancy, etc), but don't yell at them after they do it, because then its too late and thats when they need you to help them get out of the situation. I probably messed that up somewhere but you get the idea. You can learn a lot from grandparents. So much knowledge, and more importantly, wisdom, if we're wise enough to listen. Thanks for asking the question, and forcing me to think about it.

Steve
07-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Mine lived through the depression and he'd always say 'save for a rainy day.'

It's quite haunting to see how those who lived through the depression were effected by it for the rest of their lives. It makes me think even with what's going on now in our economy we still have it really good.

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-30-2009, 10:05 PM
My Granddad taught me to play chess every day one summer while sitting in the TV room watching Kung Fu movies.

He died when I was 15. I still miss him terribly.

Keith

CHEESE2009
07-30-2009, 10:26 PM
I never met my grandfather(s).

Apparently the grandfather on my mothers side shows in me.

He was in "the war" or a few, no idea which one lol... Don't know his rank either, I should ask.

Apparently he was an a-hole, an alcoholic & very rough with my uncle.

My uncle was the only son he had, & he had 5 daughters.

My uncle grew up just like any boy would, though my grandfather did not want him to be a panzy boy, or do foolish things, unmanly things.. LOL

He'd apparently criticize my uncle constantly, as if he was a failure/loser.

When my mother says her dad & me are similar, it must be the alcohol!

My grandfather on my dad's side of the family was in the air force, many years ago he dropped of the face of the earth & no one knows where he is.

After his disappearance, my grandmother has had several boyfriends/husbands who have all passed away. It's sad to imagine how she must feel!

Though they were all either pilots, or plane mechanics!

fieroboi
07-31-2009, 12:08 AM
I only knew my mothers dad, and I recall the many of times him and grandma would have us kids for a couple of weeks during the summer. He would always take us downtown and get us pie from the bus depot ... he thought they made the best pies. He also taught me and my siblings to play numerous card games as well as pool. He was a very sore loser, and would never let us win at anything. I do recall my sister stacking the deck of cards for one game with him and he never played cards with her after that. LOL Might explain my competitive side!!!:D

andyjoneslawncare
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Steve's got a great point. I remember thinking my grandparents were crazy because they had plenty of money and when we went to McD's, my brother and I would order our value meals, apple pies and shakes and then they'd each order a hamburger and water. How cheap could they be? They just have a different mentality when it comes to money after being raised in the depression. If they don't have the money to pay cash for a car, they don't buy it. Now I think they're looking pretty intelligent if you ask me.

Steve
07-31-2009, 04:02 PM
This all got me thinking, how many of you had grandfathers that owned a business or fathers? Did either give you business advice?

swstout
07-31-2009, 08:03 PM
My grand parents on my father's side both died before I was born. I however remember My great Grandfather. He died when I was 12. I still remember his thick Scottish accent though. I remember with great fondness his taking me fishing and his outspoken nature. If he was thinking it, he said it! No holds barred! He died at age 79 with a legacy of honesty and integrity. For most of his life, he owned and operate an orchard producing Cortland and Red Delicious apples. He was the 'Johnny Appleseed' of Cortland, NY.

On my mother's side My grandfather had Alzheimer's and thought I was one of his childhood friends. He was a dairy farmer and raised chickens. When I was 16 he left the house one January night and was found (by me) the next day frozen to death about 2 miles from the farm.

He was my first real experience with mental illness and death. I had been to many family funerals but he was the most personal (because I was the one that found him) death I had encountered.

I still wish I had known him before he got Alzheimer's so I could really know him and his life experiences.

Steve