PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help Everyone!

temeculagrassgators
07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Hello Everyone!,
I am 17 and i have bean operating for 3 years. I have my own vehicle so i get to the customers homes by my self. Should i get a business license right now? I live in Ca and i believe you have to be 18 so how would i do this? Also should i put advertisement on my truck although i do not have a business license?
Thanks
Trevor

Steve
07-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi Trevor,

Welcome to our forum.

That's a good question.

When you say license, do you mean registering your business name or does your state require lawn care business owners to have some sort of state license?

temeculagrassgators
07-29-2009, 07:07 PM
I Want To Get My Business License.

Steve
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Well if your state requires you to get a business license but you can't get one until you are 18, then you can't get one.

I would just go on and not worry about it until I was 18.

But that's just my view.

Little's
07-29-2009, 07:52 PM
You do not have to be 18 to get a business lic. in CA. Just go to your local city hall.

arthur712
07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Welcom to the forum!

You know I will say yes you should advertise on your vehicle. lol

Get your name out there.

You can build your name, and being so young you will get a head start on all of us.

Good luck!

golfnpreacher
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't want to rain on the parade, but I will offer some advice with this disclaimer, you need to check out the laws in CA.

1 - Most insurance companies state that if you advertise a business on the side of your vehicle, you need business insurance on that vehicle. And yes that include magnetic signs. (I know of companies that have denied claims because the vehicle had magnetic sign - even though the signs were removed at the time of the accident)

2 - Most insurance companies cannot enter into a contract with someone under 18. So obtaining insurance must be done with the aid of a "legal" adult (see Mom and Dad)

3 - With few exceptions a person under 18 cannot enter a legal contract. So while having customer with no written contract may sound like the way around this, any client you do work for you are considered to have a "contract" with, even if it is verbal. So, unless you know who you are dealing with do not bill them, ask for payment upon rendered services, because you might not have the legal recourse to settle, since legally you cannot enter a contract.

Now, with all that in mind - work hard and build a good reputation, it will pay off in the long run.

Steve
07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Those are very good points to keep in mind. I appreciate you sharing them with us.