PDA

View Full Version : commercial grade battery lawn equipment

espartolawncare
07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Looking to purchase commercial grade battery lawn equipment. any help would be appreciated.

matt
:eek:

Steve
07-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Is this Husqvarna Panthera available for the market yet? You might want to check this out.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/06/Husqvarna-Electric-Lawnmower.jpg

justin_time
07-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Panthera Leo:

• Equipped with zero-emission technology

• Produced from recycled materials

• Rechargeable Lithium-phosphate battery

• Plug-in product, charged at any electrical point

• Five brushless electrical engines, easy and clean to maintain

• Three separate cutters equipped with razor sharp blades

• Cutters individually suspended to glide smoothly over bumpy terrain and prevent lawn scalping

• Variable cutting width (85-120cm)

• Zero-turn functionality

• Lifting cutting deck (90 degrees)

• Ergonomic steering wheel

• Easy to control dashboard

• Cutting time 2 hours, overnight charging

• Detailed LCD display monitor (featuring cutting height, width of cutting deck, speed, service information, steep hill warning, objects that are too close)

For more information, visit here http://international.husqvarna.com/node1589.aspx?_newsid=9046

turfmaster
07-29-2009, 11:00 AM
These will work for homeowners but not commercial use. 2 hours of a charge will not cut it. Maybe you can carry 2 or 3 extra sets of charged batteries on your truck and just swap them out as they die out. :)

Bob91403
01-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Is that made by Husqvarna or Norelco?:D It sure looks a lot like my electric razor. It even has the same floating heads. They should be flattered, or sue them.:rolleyes:

CHEESE2009
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Mother nature laughs at electric equipment.

Just imagine how many batteries you'd need to bring along with you to service your customers.

Sure you might get a good hour out of one battery, but over time the battery will dull & only keep a 10 minute or less charge.

Try using a battery powered hedge trimmer, you wont get anything done.

You'd be doing just as much harm with battery disposal as using gas equipment. (actually I'm not sure)

Either way, stay away from batteries.

Which is best from top to bottom;
Gas
Electric
Nothing
Battery

Bob91403
01-16-2010, 03:51 AM
The current battery technology does make it feasible. It is true that ni-cad and lead acid batteries have serious drawbacks. But, the current lithium iron phosphate batteries do not. For example, look at the Bosch line of lithium equipment. They are a bit overpriced, and only being marketed in Europe, but, Worx is catching up with their own line up of lithium powered yard equipment. The advantage of lithium batteries is that they carry more power for the same weight, they don't have the memory problems of ni-cads, they charge quickly, and you can re-charge them a thousand times compared to a few hundred charges of other batteries. I currently own their lithium trimmer/edger, hedge trimmer, and yard blower. I also have a Worx battery lawnmower. It came with this 30lb. 24v 17ah lead acid battery, that, with the 1.5 amp charger takes a hell of a long time to charge. I replaced the battery with a LiFePO4 battery pack that weighs half as much, comes with a 5amp charger and is 20ah. You do the math. It costs less than twice what Worx charges for their extra battery, has three more amp hours, weighs half as much, charges more than three times faster, will last more than three times as long as their battery, without going "dull" as you call it. No the current battery technology does make it feasible. And, I don't have to carry a whole lot of batteries. I can get three yards in before lunch time, go home, have lunch, quick charge my batteries and get out in time to do three more. And, I carry it all in my electric bicycle's trailer. I use NO gas. I make less than half the noise. My equipment has about ten times less moving parts, so needs a hell of a lot less servicing. I don't have to pay for car insurance, registration, or tune-ups. Again, do the math. I costs me literally pennies worth of electricity a day to run my one man business. How much do you spend per day running yours?:cool: Mother nature laughs at electric equipment.

Just imagine how many batteries you'd need to bring along with you to service your customers.

Sure you might get a good hour out of one battery, but over time the battery will dull & only keep a 10 minute or less charge.

Try using a battery powered hedge trimmer, you wont get anything done.

You'd be doing just as much harm with battery disposal as using gas equipment. (actually I'm not sure)

Either way, stay away from batteries.

Which is best from top to bottom;
Gas
Electric
Nothing
Battery

CHEESE2009
01-16-2010, 12:02 PM
How much do you spend per day running yours?:cool:

One hundred million dollars. Joking.

Well I usually do maybe 12 lawns a day, but to service 6 lawns it probably cost me a few bucks in gas considering every job is close together & I do most of the work right the first time.

As for truck payments & such, that's just paying for luxury & it benefits my life outside of work. I'd rather owe thousands of dollars than to not have a vehicle. And the gas in my mower can be put in my truck at the end of the season, that's enough to get me to the furthest gas station in town, lol!

You can't really haul anything with a bike, including more efficient tools & loads of debris in order to take on more work, which eventually your expenses get paid off from doing. Can you haul a ladder & do any hedge trimming or gutter work?

How big of a trailer can your bike tow?

Having a truck just means getting more done while your at the job site, you can bring everything & get all of your up sells done & lawn maintenance. I don't have to travel back to the garage & bring each individual tool to the customers house in x amount trips.

You might not have as many expenses, though your not getting as much done per day than those with vehicles (give or take). If you have to recharge your battery every 3 lawns, that's no good. Unless these lawns are on the large scale.

I am very curious to see your set up, picture of the bike & equipment. Maybe I'm wrong, I've always wanted an electric bike lol. Though for business I figure it wouldn't look too professional.

Do you use a trimmer & blower along side of your lawn mower?

Steve
01-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I can get three yards in before lunch time, go home, have lunch, quick charge my batteries and get out in time to do three more. And, I carry it all in my electric bicycle's trailer.

Bob you gotta tell us more about your setup! I'd love to see some pictures too!

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 02:48 AM
I haven't got any pictures of my rig at the moment. And, we're expecting a whole week of rain. But, I'll post some as soon as the weather allows. In the mean time your can look at the equipment at WorxYardTools.com, the bike at goldenmotors.com, and the large cargo trailer is at aosom.com. It can carry 180lbs. My equipment doesn't way anywhere close to that. The lawnmower fits perfectly in the trailer. The handle folds forward so that only 3 inches protrudes over the back top edge of the trailer. There's still plenty of room for my trimmer/edger, blower, hedge trimmer, an expanding rake, and all of my hand tools. As for a ladder, I haven't had the need for one. But, I know I can get one of those folding ones and bungie cord it across the top quite easily if the need arises. I'll have to spend about another $600 to almost triple my battery supply. Then I can stay out all day. That's my next step. As for hauling, if I'm doing something other than basic yard care, the trailer holds quite a bit. And, I do own a car. I don't use it for anything I don't have to (freeway trips). Since all my business is local I'm thinking of getting rid of it. I know I can underbid my competition. So far I have not seen a reason or need to. A lot of people like the quiet, and the idea of reducing their carbon footprint. I use copy from the Worx website in my flyer.:cool: 5% of urban air pollution comes from gas-powered lawn equipment*

* If you are concerned about global warming, climate change or simply the quality of air you breathe, you'll find it interesting to know that lawn and garden tools in Southern California emit more pollution than all the airplanes flying into LAX, Burbank and Orange County airports combined.

In one hour, a gas mower emits the same amount of pollutants as 11 late model automobiles*

* A single gas mower emits a large quantity of carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas), plus a quantity of smog pollutants including hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides. If you are considering buying a low emission hybrid car, you can do even more for the environment by switching to emission-free electric lawn and garden equipment.

Each year, American homeowners spill 17 million gallons of fuel.* That's more oil than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez in Alaska.

* Each weekend, 54 million Americans mow their lawns, trim their hedges and blow their leaves away. A few drops here, a few there while refueling their gas-equipment…you do the math. Also, spilled gasoline that evaporates actually produces ground-level ozone that increases asthma attacks and irritates your eyes, nose and throat.

75% noise reduction compared to most gas-powered mowers*

* Ever been annoyed by the loud whine of a lawn mower on a quiet Sunday morning? The WorxECO mower produces only 25% of the noise level of a standard gas mower. Your neighbors will appreciate the peace and quiet.

*Source: US Environmental Protection Agency

I'm telling you gas-heads, you might want take another look at what's out there. You might lose your job to me. Or, someone like me.:D

XtreemGreen
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Your kidding right??
Although that stuff may be good for your typical homeowner, but no way that stuff will last 1 season working them 40hrs a week.. Especially down here in the high heat and high humidity..I had a set of battery powered hedges clippers and they didnt last 1 summer..The battery held a good charge, but I wore out the motor..The stuff just isnt built for constant use..I just met a guy that has 110 accounts.. How long do you think he will be in business using that stuff.. Or how long do you think that stuff will continue to work on the scale he will need them to..

Building a commercial Z mower that will be as productive as a gas powered mower would cost twice as much and be twice as heavy..
Then what are you going to do when you have to do mowing in the rain?

Ill stick to the gas powered for now..

Thanks

Steve
01-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm telling you gas-heads, you might want take another look at what's out there. You might lose your job to me. Or, someone like me.

This is a unique service, how do you take advantage of it in your marketing? Do you market much or do you find you get more attention when you are out servicing your clients during the day?

Do you have signs on your trailer?

I went to that site goldenmotors.com to look for your bike and it was a car dealership. Am I missing where I could see a pic of it?

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
You have to work in the rain? Gee, that's too bad. I live in southern California, so I don't have that problem. As for a commercial lawnmower, if they can build an electric car, they can build an electric lawnmower. It might cost a little more initially, the batteries are expensive, but, with the fuel savings, and so few moving parts, it will last longer. No, I don't expect a large operation to rely on battery equipment. I'm just a small one man show. I can't tell you how long they will last. But, if I get a year out of them, I'll be happy. Six months so far, no problems. They're not that expensive. I'm also a professional photographer. I learned a long time ago, if your going to charge money for a service you need to own two of everything. I will take your advice and buy a backup set. OOPS! try goldenmotor.com.

CHEESE2009
01-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I just met a guy that has 110 accounts.. How long do you think he will be in business using that stuff..

A month.

I eat gas for breakfast!

Steve
01-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh that worked! Very interesting!

Do you do much marketing to get the word out about your unique service?

http://www.goldenmotor.com/magicpie/images/kits/mp_zoom1.jpg

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
A month.

I eat gas for breakfast!
Sounds like you're full of gas. 110 accounts sounds like a pretty big operation. How many employees, trucks, lawnmowers is he using now? No, I'm not saying that a big operation should switch to battery. I'm just saying that as technologies advance it will not only be possible, it will become necessary. How many industries have been changed by technology? I remember doing paste up in an advertising company. We used to have to go out to a typographer for the copy, then cut it out and glue it to a board. Well, today, there are no such jobs anymore. The computer you're sitting in front of eliminated them. There are three things you can count on, death, taxes, and that everything changes.;)

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Do I do much marketing?

I printed up some flyers for doors, targeted the right neighborhoods, and so far, so good. I WAS thinking of taking the nylon cordura sides off of the trailer, replacing them with a plywood stake bed and putting some signs on that. I've actually gotten most of my customers by word of mouth. Sometimes mine (I do draw some questions from the curious). I'd rather do more mowing than talking, but, those two things can be in conflict.

Steve
01-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Is this the trailer you use? You should totally have signs on it! That way people would know what they are looking at.

Then you could have a website that explains your business and possibly have some kind of a counter that shows how much carbon dioxide your business has emitted compared to a similar sized gas powered business.

Or something else that would really show how you are helping the environment.

Also, have you contacted the local media yet to do a story on you? I bet they would jump on it.

http://www.aosom.com/ebay/pic/5664-0005y/1.jpg

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 03:22 PM
But, no, that's the medium trailer. I use the large one. Who needs the web for this. I'm not willing to pedal that far. As for the media, I really don't need them either. I am thinking of becoming a Worx distributor. I get a lot of questions from people who do their own yards.

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Husqvarna's Panthera Leo is supposed to come out within the next five years. At that time I'll be driving a GEM eL electric vehicle and using Husqvarna's mower, as long as they make it with a swappable battery pack. I can see myself riding instead of pushing.

Steve
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
As for the media, I really don't need them either.

That's so fantastic that you are this busy and you don't need to go out there and promote.

I hope others are taking note of what you are doing.

What inspired you to get started with this?

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
The two houses on either side of mine used a service that was using gas powered leaf blowers. Well I don't have to tell you how much noise some of those things make. Besides that they've been illegal to use in Los Angeles for over seven years now. I needed to buy some yard care equipment so I looked into what was available. I really wanted to go with the Bosch lithium lineup, but, they only market it in Europe, and it's kind of pricey. I liked the Worx lineup, but until about six months ago they were still using nickel cadmium batteries(bad choice). When they came out with their lithium equipment I jumped on it. Their battery lawnmower is nice, but I had to find a supplier who would make a lithium replacement for the lead acid battery they supply. I got lucky with that. I've been mowing their lawns and quite a few more ever since. I just hope I don't get to the point where I have to turn down business. The idea of expanding scares me. You know, banks, employees, and everything else that goes with it.;)

Steve
01-17-2010, 04:18 PM
The two houses on either side of mine used a service that was using gas powered leaf blowers. Well I don't have to tell you how much noise some of those things make.

Did you get them to switch over to using your service?

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 04:48 PM
They're my neighbors. They were the first ones I went after. I've got five customers on my block. The only people who are still using gas on this block are the one who are still doing it themselves. And, even they are considering changing over to battery.:cool:

Steve
01-17-2010, 05:04 PM
That is fantastic! You are starting a green revolution one block at a time.

I think it's also important to point out how you got the word out. You started small with your local immediate social network, your neighbors. Slowly word starts to spread and others want you to perform lawn care on their properties as well.

I bet they talk about you to other people they know as well. This should generate a lot of word of mouth.

CHEESE2009
01-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Sounds like you're full of gas. 110 accounts sounds like a pretty big operation. How many employees, trucks, lawnmowers is he using now?

I am full of gas, I have been eating fast food a lot recently so I'm constipated. Is it worth it? Yes it is! Nothing beats a good greecy sub!

110 accounts depending on size is doable for one person working full shifts. Or if this person has the right equipment that can actually cut work time in half, which is usually large gas using equipment, which requires a truck to haul, not a bike.

Other than that, hiring a part time employee for 2 days a week wouldn't hurt.

The way I see it, it's a new employee vs efficient equipment. In the long run, equipment is less expensive & much more profitable.

The only time I use batteries is for my earphones, even then they aren't reliable.

I'd rather be able to pick up gas any time I need it, then to rely on batteries dying & needing to be charged. I don't even take breaks when I work, so I must have to spend a fortune on batteries. I like the luxury of being able to buy gas.

If my lawn service was to go "more green", our days would be longer & more stressful. Not all batteries work the same with all the available equipment, the garage would be a disaster with different batteries floating around & being charged or uncharged. Just another thing to distract me from what I need to do.

Instead of worrying about organizing my battery operated business, I'll stick with gas, which is available at every corner. Sure gas is expensive, but honestly it hasn't affected me.

If I drop a bit of gas, it happens. I have dropped nickels & dimes before, I'm not going to cry about it. Stress can be avoided, next time you order out, don't tip! There, you got your wasted money back. Lol.

Kidding, always tip, it's the right thing to do.

Even if it's bad for the environment, until we have some sort of martial law, nothing is going to save the planet.

That's the only time I will participate hard core. Sure I don't litter like crazy, but some things are inevitable & don't matter to me at the moment, something bad has to happen for me to change my ways.

It's like smoking, some people wont stop until they get a scare.

Steve
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Yea but you gotta admit, it's a creative niche and there are a group of customers out there who want that.

I don't think anyone is saying electric equipment is going to replace gas equipment now but who knows what the future holds! Technology is always progressing and I am sure we will be impressed with what is created.

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I know what you mean. That bean and cheese burrito I just had is kicking back. But, with me it's just the opposite fast food to me is just that, FAST! I know that a lot of people feel the same way you do. Unless global warming causes you to get your shoes wet and have to role up your pants, It's not your problem. It's exactly that attitude that's caused the situation. Unless we ALL start to take some personal responsibility for our actions, there will be no solution. I'm sure if you had any kids you'd feel differently. But, if all you intend to leave behind is worm castings to feed the grass they plant over you, I totally understand.:rolleyes:

Steve
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Bob,

Have you seen any other guys doing something similar with the bikes and the trailer in your area or is this unique there?

Bob91403
01-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm the first, and as far as I know, I'm the only one doing this anywhere. I wish I could patent it and franchise it, but, it's just an idea. Anyone could do the same thing.:)

Steve
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Well if you build the brand and create an operations manual, I am sure you could expand it.

justin_time
01-24-2010, 12:18 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8WzHXdnSjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8WzHXdnSjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steve
01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Good find on the video. The product looks really interesting. I like the glowing orange parts :D

CHEESE2009
01-25-2010, 02:55 AM
http://techytalk.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/future-car.jpg

SuperiorPower
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Yea but you gotta admit, it's a creative niche and there are a group of customers out there who want that.

I don't think anyone is saying electric equipment is going to replace gas equipment now but who knows what the future holds! Technology is always progressing and I am sure we will be impressed with what is created.

Sure, it is a creative niche, but it is just that a niche. It is not even remotely a smart move for a commercial user.

And yes, Our dear Bob here did say that they will have to replace gas powered equipment:

Sounds like you're full of gas. 110 accounts sounds like a pretty big operation. How many employees, trucks, lawnmowers is he using now? No, I'm not saying that a big operation should switch to battery. I'm just saying that as technologies advance it will not only be possible, it will become necessary. How many industries have been changed by technology? I remember doing paste up in an advertising company. We used to have to go out to a typographer for the copy, then cut it out and glue it to a board. Well, today, there are no such jobs anymore. The computer you're sitting in front of eliminated them. There are three things you can count on, death, taxes, and that everything changes.;)

And like someone else said, they are no where near being efficient for a number of reasons. My next post will address this more tho....

SuperiorPower
01-25-2010, 06:07 PM
I know what you mean. That bean and cheese burrito I just had is kicking back. But, with me it's just the opposite fast food to me is just that, FAST! I know that a lot of people feel the same way you do. Unless global warming causes you to get your shoes wet and have to role up your pants, It's not your problem. It's exactly that attitude that's caused the situation. Unless we ALL start to take some personal responsibility for our actions, there will be no solution. I'm sure if you had any kids you'd feel differently. But, if all you intend to leave behind is worm castings to feed the grass they plant over you, I totally understand.:rolleyes:

Sure, yours is a niche business and if someone is willing to pay you to do it, fine. Just don't expect the rest of us to do so. I am tired of hearing all this global warming bologna and how the sky is falling in. It is just that, bologna. You know what bologna is? Its "scrap" or "cheap" meat that is left over after the legit stuff is made and is generally NOT HEALTHY! If you believe that all this global warming stuff is true, than I suppose that is your business. Just stay in California with the rest of those that are content with destroying the economy trying to fix a global warming problem that doesn't exist (ever wonder why California is the only bankrupt state??????). Now if you want to ride a bike because its healthier because of the exercise or since you don't use a vehicle enough to justify its expense, fine, just say so and leave the global warming thing out of it.

And as far as you being "green", I say you are no more green than any of the other users here.... Let me re-post what I have posted before here (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=5807&highlight=green+lawn+care) (you may want to read that entire thread since it has more info for you to digest). Here is my post I am talking about (it was not directed toward you but as they say, if the shoe fits, wear it):

First off, let me tell you, all of the emissions put out by all the engines in the world affect the ozone less than you think. If I recall correctly, emissions and all the "hazards" of emissions account for less than 1% (I think) of the lost/destroyed ozone. The only reason I like better fuel economy is because it is cheaper in my pocket. Period.

Besides, no one, yes I said no one, is emissions free. I will stand by that statement. "Emissions free" is a scam. And I will stand by that statement as well. Global warming is a scam. There are several hundred of the top scientists in the world that will agree with me on that.

Back to emissions free, let me just ask several questions to clarify my position.

How do they transport their equipment? Truck? Bicycle and trailer? If by bicycle and trailer, where were the bicycle and trailer made? Emissions free China????? Give me a break. China emits far more emissions than the USA does. In fact, the USA emits only a fraction of the emissions per capita of powered equipment/machinery/vehicles, etc. users in the world. Possibly, even probably, less as a whole than any other "civilized" nation in the world. But back to the emissions questions at hand....

How was the bicycle made? Using emissions free machines? Not hardly.

How were the tires made? Emissions free in South America or Mexico? I doubt it. They don't care about emissions. Slave/child labor sounds good to me.... But that is another issue for another day and another thread.

How was the iron mined that was used for the steel in the bicycle? By hand, using "emissions free" hand shovels? Ahhhhhh. Hmmmm, so where did the shovel come from? And the steel for the shovel?

How was the wood for the shovel handle made? Oh, that's right, by a tree cut down by hand using an ax....

Oh, where did the ax come from? And the ax handle? Oh, that's right, the ax and shovel both had a fiberglass handle. I am sure that was emissions free too.....

How do they commute when they are not riding their bicycles for mowing lawns? Where/how were their clothes made? All emissions free, huh? Not likely....

What about the house they live in? Who built it? Did they drive trucks? What about the people who cut the trees down for the lumber? That's right. Gotta love those emissions free electric "logging" chain saws... What? You mean electric "logging" chain saws don't even exist?!?! We know that electricity is emissions free so they need to invent some electric "logging" chain saws!! I mean with those wind turbines and everything. Heck those strong turbines are made out of steel and aluminum and the ore is mined using.... Ahhhh, what did you say is used to mine the ore?

How did the builders nail the lumber together for the house? Nails? Where did the nails come from? Oh, here we go with the steel issue again.... Emissions. I am choking on emissions.....

What about the tools to cut the boards? Hand saws. Right. And where did the steel for the hand saw blade come from? And how was the wood for the handle formed?

And we have not even addressed how the bicycle was brought here from China. And the reel push mower, which was likely made in China (was well). Oh, what am I thinking? A sail boat. No dirty engines to pollute the air.... After all, the shippers are the most emissions minded people in the world......

Anyway, I digress. But I still say, no one is emissions free. Unless you live in Africa or somewhere where there are no machines to make emissions. But where did their clothes come from? Are they emissions free? AHHHHH. Here we go again! No one is emissions free. PERIOD!!!!

What I have learned since then is this: These Eco-friendly machines, cars, etc, are MUCH "dirtier" to manufacture than the "dirty" machines are. Example: The Toyota Prius is a very fuel efficient car but it is EXTREMELY dirty (by the emissions freaks own standards) to manufacture. Why? example, the batteries needed to make the car "clean" are "dirty" to manufacture themselves. Here (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/toyota-engineers-flowers-to-offset-production-pollution/) is the link to an article about it. As follows is actually an excerpt that I wanted to point out:

Some people have said that the Prius loses most of its environmental cred when the hybrid’s manufacturing process is taken into account. Toyota acknowledges that Prius production is more carbon dioxide heavy than that of gas-engine cars.

What's more, Al Gore doesn't believe all his own hype. Just this past weekend I heard that Al Gore uses more electricity than like 30,000 (I think it was 30,000, but possibly more) Ugandans do. And he is telling them they have to reduce their electricity use. He is either mistaken and/or a liar and outright deceitful.

So, back to commercial grade electric powered lawn equipment. Like was mentioned by someone else, commercial grade lawn equipment WILL be much heavier. For example, a riding mower, whether the tractor type or ZTR type, this is bad whether you work in the rain or not. It is unhealthy for the lawn by sheer design. Its called compaction.

Lets think about this. Electric powered. Requires electricity to recharge batteries. Electricity is not always exactly "clean" when it is made. Electricity power equipment requires electric motors, which have to be manufactured. Though I am not certain of the exact process, it is not emissions free either.

Then, the "dirtiest" part of all. The batteries. And yes, it takes more than one. Batteries are heavy. This creates an extremely heavy machine if you want a machine where the batteries will not die as soon as you start using it. Sure, they last much longer than they did even a few years ago. They are more efficient. But still not as efficient as a internal combustion engine.

Some more bad news. Remember how you argued that they have far fewer moving parts? Perhaps they they do. BUT consider this. The replacement parts will be far more expensive when needed. Remember the $600 for replacement batteries you mentioned? That will buy a rather good quality Commercial push mower that will last you many many seasons. Sure, you have to buy gas but you also have to plug in your electric mowers. Maintenance tends to be less expensive for internal combustion engines than for battery powered.

They may have fewer parts but they are not designed as service friendly as a typical commercial mower. Lets start with the deck. Think of all the extra weight that you have to lug around on the deck just because you are mounting electric motors on the deck. So now, either your deck material has to be stronger or than take a chance on lasting less time. And God forbid that the use of the machine causes damage to the components (perhaps occasionally hitting items the neighbor's stupid dog drug into your yard). See, just because there is no internal combustion engine doesn't mean that there will be no "wear and tear" on the machine.

But now, instead of all that wear and tear going to a bearing assembly with a belt to take up the shock, all that impact or shock is going directly to the electric motor. So if something breaks, well, I hate to tell you, but, you will be buying an electric motor, not just a bearing assembly. At least if Husvarna's design is any indication of what is to come. Which, by the way, I don't believe it is a commercial unit anyway. The Husqvarna's deck design looks like it will be only for short grass that was mowed just a few days ago since it really has no place for a large amount of grass to be discharged to.

Another problem I suspect would be coming is that electronic components like switches, connections, smart boards, etc. will likely be extremely expensive and cost prohibitive to replace.

The design is not conducive to being used for commercial uses. I hope you get the point because I could go on and on about the problems with trying to use these types of products in a commercial way. So, the problem is 2 fold: Global warming is a farce and electric power equipment is a long way from being commercial ready.

But in ending, I really gotta ask, do you really believe that if we don't stop this global warming we will all just float away and there will be no more earth? Really???? Or perhaps I should let you explain exactly what you meant by this statement:

I know that a lot of people feel the same way you do. Unless global warming causes you to get your shoes wet and have to role up your pants, It's not your problem. It's exactly that attitude that's caused the situation. Unless we ALL start to take some personal responsibility for our actions, there will be no solution. I'm sure if you had any kids you'd feel differently. But, if all you intend to leave behind is worm castings to feed the grass they plant over you, I totally understand.:rolleyes:

And while you are at it, could you also explain what was meant by the scientists hiding global warming facts in those emails that were hacked, including these statements.

So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degC, then this would be significant for the global mean – but we’d still have to explain the land blip.

It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip, but we are still left with “why the blip”.

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.***

Bob91403
01-26-2010, 07:50 AM
You seem to be on a rant. The internal combustion engine is one of the most inefficient devices made by man. Sure, you can make breathing look bad too. I mean you exhale CO2, that's a greenhouse gas, maybe we should all stop breathing? Anything can be argued. But, in debating this you bring light to the question of "a pitchfork, or a shovel?" If you got that, I salute you. If not, I understand.:(

Steve
01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Remember we are all here to learn and grow. Let's keep all the posts positive and educational.

We don't have to agree but we should do our best to get along.

SuperiorPower
01-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Steve,

Point taken. I was out of line to start name calling and I apologize for doing so on your forum. Again, Sorry.

Bob,

I apologize for calling this a joke. Though I strongly disagree with you and your perceived point of view on global warming, I should not have called you a "joke". Even though, as I am sure you can tell, I believe global warming is a scam and a joke. But that is no reason for me to call you a joke. Sorry, it won't happen again.

And as such, let me say I got what you meant (and I say, both pitchfork and a shovel, it depends what you are doing :)... ) but I won't comment further on that.

Grass Whisperer
06-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Looking to purchase commercial grade battery lawn equipment. any help would be appreciated.

matt
:eek:

www.meangreenproducts.com/
Experience the World's most Powerful zero turn electric riding lawn mower.
‎Powerful Electric Products - ‎About Us - ‎LEED - ‎Usgbc

This is the direction I am heading in.

Steve
06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Have you tried one out yet or no? Any thoughts on their performance?

Solar Lawn Care
06-15-2013, 12:39 AM
I just looked again and found a price for the commercial walk behind. $1,399 Plus Battery and Charger.

I'll weld my own frame and deck add a motor, adjustable wheels, motor controller and have several batteries and still have money left over.

I'm all electric but damn.

John