PDA

View Full Version : Liquid & Granular Fert/ Maintain Setup

mylawnwi
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi,

We have a new buisiness and getting our applicators license soon for a setup next spring to start doing weed control, fertilizer, & insect control.

I am curious what you are using and why?

I am thinking of setting up a trailer for an all liquid setup

or

getting spreader that can spot spray for weed control.

We need some feedback and some help on this. I don't want to use the same combo of liquid for every lawn but don't want to mix lots of different setups.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

swstout
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi,

We have a new buisiness and getting our applicators license soon for a setup next spring to start doing weed control, fertilizer, & insect control.

I am curious what you are using and why?

I use Nature's Lawn liquid organic products in combination of some other liquid organic products. They are faster acting than chemical/synthetic products with none of the drawbacks, health concerns, or environmental concerns. They are concentrated so you don't have the storage concerns (weight, amount, and keeping dry) of dry fertilizers and lawn amendments.

I no longer use mechanical aerators or dethatchers. The liquid methods are faster and much more effective. A mechanical aerator only penetrates about 3 inches of earth; the liquid 6-8 inches.

I use both a tow-behind sprayer that treats a swath 80 inches wide per pass and a hose end sprayer for confined and inaccessible areas.

For pre-emergent weed control I use Liqui*Gold Bio fertilizer that combines the effectiveness of Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) with the convenience of a sprayable liquid material. Effective as a pre-emergent for crabgrass and many broadleaf weeds, yet lower nitrogen than granular forms to help you more effectively manage your turf nitrogen budget.

http://www.swstout.com/organic_lawn_care.html (http://www.swstout.com/organic_lawn_care.html)

Steve

mark123
07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
... getting spreader that can spot spray for weed control. ...
Many will rave about the Z-spray units but they are just too big in my opinion. If you really want to save some time look at the Permagreen ride-on spreaders. They allow you to spread granular and spray weeds at the same time. I preferred the Centri model but it seems it was replaced by the Magnum which has some improvments (bigger hopper and spray tanks) but lost some important factors that the Centri had like ability to go across steeper hills, two spray nozzles instead of one and a more reliable and consistant hopper opening system.

I'd love to find myself a Centri.

Steve
07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Steve,

Another thing about the products you use is that there is no need for an applicator's license. Is that correct? Thats a big selling point too. They could potentially get started doing that today.

swstout
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Steve,

Another thing about the products you use is that there is no need for an applicator's license. Is that correct? Thats a big selling point too. They could potentially get started doing that today.

Both the FDA andd the EPA classify these products as food products. No special license required.

Steve