PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read

picframer
07-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Up early this morning and decided to do a little surfing on the net as it's been a very long time, came across this article, a few stats on mowers honestly shocked me, look at the 17 Million gallons of fuel spilled each year filling mowers, that is insane.

http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/faq-environment.htm

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Andy:

I came across that site a few months ago and spoke with David. He is a firehose of information about green gardening.

The 17 million gallon stat struck me as ominous too. I can believe it though. I've watched may people fill their mower gas tanks. Universally, everyone spills a little trying to top up their tanks.

The lawn industry is rapidly moving toward propane as a fuel source. I view this as a good thing since propane is clean burning and its use dramatically reduces spills. Also, most propane is produced domestically (not sure about Canada) reducing dependence on foreign oil.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYHiZwRonDc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYHiZwRonDc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Keith

mark123
07-26-2009, 07:00 AM
... The 17 million gallon stat struck me as ominous too. I can believe it though. I've watched may people fill their mower gas tanks. Universally, everyone spills a little trying to top up their tanks. ...
You know, I never used to spill gas using my good old metal cans but now they've made those cans illegal to sell and now they have these stupid "safety caps" that are suppsed to prevent spills but they don't. They CREATE spills. First because now that you have to put the nozzle in the tank to get the gas to come out you can't see how much is in there until it pops out the top and second the plastic nozzles never close when you put it out of the tank.

I also never used to get gas on my hands using the old cans but now I can't seem to avoid it. I hate getting gas on my skin.

I'd love to move to propane. It's not as efficient as petroleum but I'd love not to stink at the end of the day (well, at least not from 2-stroke fumes anyway). I watched the video, I've never tracked my gas/oil usage for my string trimmer so I have no idea if $3 for 2 hours is good or bad. I can also look at my gas tank on my trimmer and know if it's going to run out or not. Is there a gauge for the propane tank?

Steve
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
look at the 17 Million gallons of fuel spilled each year filling mowers, that is insane.

I can remember having these 5 gallon metal gas tanks and trying to fill things like mowers or cars with them and spilling gas everywhere.

They never made sense to me how the heck were you supposed to use them to pour unless you were only trying for 50% getting into the tank.

A lot of this seems to come down to ergonomics. Things have to be designed to be used by people and be functional or else there is a lot of waste.

picframer
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I would like to think the numbers are off a bit, I have however spilt my share years ago. I forget what they are called, something like flo and go, I use them on all the cans, basically works like a gas pump, no chance of spills.....I was just really taken back by those stats