PDA

View Full Version : Insights on getting started

Steve
07-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Here is some advice from Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino on getting started making movies. It includes others talking about this as well.

In the beginning Sam Raimi says to write everyday and film movies on the weekend with actors. Then you ARE a filmmaker.

Show the film to an audience and see where people get what you were trying to say and where they dont so you can improve.

I think the same thing applies to every other business or art form.

You want to start a lawn care business or a landscaping business, cut your lawn. Build landscape projects in your yard. Offer this to neighbors, friends and family. Get their feedback and you will improve.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVE296BvOj4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVE296BvOj4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Steve:

Interesting clip.

BTW, remember another thread about our favorite horror movies? I listed Evil Dead as one of my top horror movies. Sam Rami wrote and directed Evil Dead. Also, notice the first guy asking a question has an Evil Dead t-shirt on.

Keith

Steve
07-27-2009, 12:33 AM
BTW, remember another thread about our favorite horror movies? I listed Evil Dead as one of my top horror movies. Sam Rami wrote and directed Evil Dead. Also, notice the first guy asking a question has an Evil Dead t-shirt on.

I totally missed that! It's very interesting because if you watch Evil Dead it seems very amateurish in a bunch of ways but thats part of the allure of horror movies. As he progressed with his movie making though, he got better and better and the production level definitely rose.

I think the same holds true with other fields. You gotta do and keep practicing to get better.