PDA

View Full Version : OMG the best thing happened yesterday

jasonw
07-24-2009, 10:27 AM
So I get a call yesterday morning to do a bid for some yard work. I schedule to be out there early afternoon, the name sound familure but I did not get a last name so I don't know. Anyway I get there around 1:30pm and my truck is met by some very curious border collies. I have one so I wast no time jumping out of the truck to greet them. I then knock on the door and am met at the door by the lady of the house. We first discuss what needs to be done then proceed to talk about ods and ins of life and what not for the next hour. I explained I had to get going and she said she would let me know as she is waiting for several other companies to bid the job as well. I shook her hand, thanked her, gave her my card and went on my way. On the way down this long drive way leaving the 500 acre ranch I get to the main road, look to my left then to my right and notice the name on the mail box. It then hits me that this family is one of the wealthiest influential families in our county and I start to get very excited. I get home and ponder the whole thing and then hit the road to my 9-5 at about 3:30pm. While at the mail box I get a phone call telling me I got the job if I want it. This can mean very good things for my business locally as the list of family owned rentals is endless. I was a bid surprised as my bid really was the highest. I quoted $50 per week for the lawn and edging and $35 per hour for anything ells. This will be my first price increase and it went over a lot better than I thought. A good point is the reasons I got the job. Not because my equipment was better of I have been in business longer or my price was the best but because I was the most personable, non demanding person who was also liked by the dogs lol. I was told the dogs would not let the other people out of there trucks. My only answer to that is a sign from above, listen to your dogs lol.

Steve
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
That is really interesting!

Not because my equipment was better of I have been in business longer or my price was the best but because I was the most personable, non demanding person who was also liked by the dogs lol. I was told the dogs would not let the other people out of there trucks. My only answer to that is a sign from above, listen to your dogs lol.

Did she happen to tell you that or are you thinking this is why you got it?

This can mean very good things for my business locally as the list of family owned rentals is endless.

What did you mean by this?

It then hits me that this family is one of the wealthiest influential families in our county and I start to get very excited.

Do you know any history of them how they made their money? That would be interesting to know as well.

jasonw
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes she did specifically tell me that her dogs let me out of my truck so I must be ok. She explained that she felt like the other guys were casing the place and they mentioned they did not like dogs. She is a dog person and said anyone that has a problem with them can just stay away. I told her my biggest worry was they would jump on the door of my new truck and scratch it lol "They did not".

They own a great share of the property and ranches on this end of the county. There family is one of the founding families of this county about 200 years ago. She mentioned that they have several rentals that have tenants who plant and water everything but she has a company go out and cut the lawns and what not. When I do a good job all this business can come my way as she mentioned not liking having several companies doing the same work at different locations. She wants one company and one bill for the most part.

I am not sure how they made there money top get where they are now but I know the family owned Copper and gold mines way back when so I asume that had somthign to do with it. and I believe they own the winery that is named after them.

Steve
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
That is really neat! I bet they would have a lot of business insight if you got a chance in the future to talk to them about it.

jasonw
07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
No doubt. I spoke with them again this morning on the phone to set up the first appointment. I feel very funny even talking to them as you must really watch what you say and make sure you mean it. They are the type of people that can make or break you with a snap of there finger.

FloridaBoy
07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
That sounds like a great thing going there. Those are the type of people who you treat just a little better, or i should say you might work that extra hour for, say yes to a little something you might say no to another customer. Keep them happy and the business thrives, just have to stop just before your butt kissing, LOL. Good Luck Jason.:D

Steve
07-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I'd love to see some pics of the property!

jasonw
07-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Steve I will see if I can snap a few while I am there. Its really nothing spectacular. Just a lawn with some landscaping and 500 acres of rolling hills. My house is actually landscaped more intricately than this one. It kind of caught me off guard as most well to do people have pretty nice landscaped yards.