PDA

View Full Version : Is this mower worth the price?

johnnyirish11
07-19-2009, 05:33 PM
HI. I am looking into getting another mower. I have two options, 1 is to buy a Gravely Zero Turn pm 44z . Has mulching kit installed, comes with grass shoot and hitch for pulling a trailer. Mower has a 17 HP motor and 167 hours.

Option 2 is John Deere Zero turn mower. Model Z425, brand new. Has 7.5 hours on the counter. Has some options also, rear bumper, footrests, floor mat, cover. This mower is only 1 month old and there is nothing wrong with it. Also has an extended warranty for 2 years.

ANy insiught would be great

picframer
07-19-2009, 08:13 PM
HI. I am looking into getting another mower. I have two options, 1 is to buy a Gravely Zero Turn pm 44z . Has mulching kit installed, comes with grass shoot and hitch for pulling a trailer. Mower has a 17 HP motor and 167 hours.

Option 2 is John Deere Zero turn mower. Model Z425, brand new. Has 7.5 hours on the counter. Has some options also, rear bumper, footrests, floor mat, cover. This mower is only 1 month old and there is nothing wrong with it. Also has an extended warranty for 2 years.

ANy insiught would be great

Can't comment on the Gravely as they are not sold where I live.

I jave a JD 997 ZTR and added a Z425 about a month ago as we picked up two additional very large properties and I wanted to save time over the X500 that was being used.

My 425 has a Briggs 23 HP twin, runs very smooth and quiet, I did put Gator high lift blades on it as we have excellent results with them, it has a 48 C" deck and the quality of the cut is simply amazing. It holds around 3 1/2 gallons, we cut about three acres per tank, not as good as the 997 diesel but better than the X500.

If your local JD treats you the way you think they should and they have a good service and support department, to me that is critical although I have had little issues considering we run 7 of their units every day and I know some of them are run hard.

turfmaster
07-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Nothing runs like a Deere :D

SuperiorPower
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Both are great brands. At this point, I would do what Andy (picframer) suggested. Let me tell you, a good service department, whether or not it is associated with the selling dealer, is one of the best things you can find for your mower. Think about it....

In my opinion, these two brands are both good. Consider doing a test drive with both mowers to see if you like either of them better than the others... Also compare the features, etc...

Good luck,
Eli

johnnyirish11
07-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I started with the JD Z425 and the gravley pm44z, now I also have the option to get a 2005 Dixon RAM 44 MAG, ELS Series (Extended Life Series) Low Hours

Complete with blower and bagger. Engine only 2 years old.,

Specifications

Chassis: 1-1/2 X 3 rectangle tube side frame

Mower Deck: 44 - Extra Heavy 11 ga fabricated construction w/reinforcement. (Welded, not stamped like the cheaper mowers.)

Blade Drive: Electric clutch.

Transmission: Each rear wheel is independently driven by a Hydro Gear IZT hydrostatic drive with 7 cooling fan.

Engine: 22 HP Briggs & Stratton ELS, twin cylinder, overhead valve, air cooled, gasoline,

full pressure lube with oil filter, vertical shaft, aluminum head & block with castiron cylinder liners.

Starting System: Electric-key switch operation with safety interlock blade drive.

Tires: Front 11 x 4.00-5 smooth tread (16-21 PSI) - Rear 18x9.50-8**4 ply turf tread (8-14 PSI)

Capacities: Fuel - 5.5 gallons

Engine Oil - 2 quarts

Dimensions: Width 44 maximum track width, Height 39 to top edge of seat, Length 69 hitch tab to front bumper

Weight: power unit - 474 lbs, with 44 deck - 600 lbs

Or a brand new in the crate cub cadet I believe they said 60 in. So what do you guys think. Need to decide today so any input would be great. Thanks in advanced

johnnyirish11
07-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I started with the JD Z425 and the gravley pm44z, now I also have the option to get a 2005 Dixon RAM 44 MAG, ELS Series (Extended Life Series) Low Hours

Complete with blower and bagger. Engine only 2 years old.,

Specifications

Chassis: 1-1/2 X 3 rectangle tube side frame

Mower Deck: 44 - Extra Heavy 11 ga fabricated construction w/reinforcement. (Welded, not stamped like the cheaper mowers.)

Blade Drive: Electric clutch.

Transmission: Each rear wheel is independently driven by a Hydro Gear IZT hydrostatic drive with 7 cooling fan.

Engine: 22 HP Briggs & Stratton ELS, twin cylinder, overhead valve, air cooled, gasoline,

full pressure lube with oil filter, vertical shaft, aluminum head & block with castiron cylinder liners.

Starting System: Electric-key switch operation with safety interlock blade drive.

Tires: Front 11 x 4.00-5 smooth tread (16-21 PSI) - Rear 18x9.50-8**4 ply turf tread (8-14 PSI)

Capacities: Fuel - 5.5 gallons

Engine Oil - 2 quarts

Dimensions: Width 44 maximum track width, Height 39 to top edge of seat, Length 69 hitch tab to front bumper

Weight: power unit - 474 lbs, with 44 deck - 600 lbs

Or a brand new in the crate cub cadet I believe they said 60 in. So what do you guys think. Need to decide today so any input would be great. Thanks in advanced

Cub cadet is for $2500 dixon is for $3000

turfmaster
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't know much about Cub Cadet mowers or Dixon's for that matter.
These that you are considering appear to be homeowner models.
I would choose which ever mower will have better dealer support.