PDA

View Full Version : Clogged sprayer filters and screens

swstout
07-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I came across an easy on-the -job method of cleaning sprayer filters and screens. I put the clogged item in a zip lock bag and add some club soda. Seal the bag and waite a minute or two. Shake the bag a few times and remove the item. rinse with water. You can keep reusing the bag. I keep a few bottles of club soda on the truck.

Steve

picframer
07-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Excellent idea, what do you use to filter the organic products before you add the liquid to the sprayer? The only product I have issues with is the Fertilizer/weed control, tried paint strainers and a gas funnell with a filter, not great resuts but this product pluggs the sprayers in no time.

swstout
07-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Excellent idea, what do you use to filter the organic products before you add the liquid to the sprayer? The only product I have issues with is the Fertilizer/weed control, tried paint strainers and a gas funnell with a filter, not great resuts but this product pluggs the sprayers in no time.

I know, I tried a coffee filter (too slow), a number of screens (window and door - too large). Still experimenting.
Have you heard of Liquid Gold? It is a water soluble liquid corn glutin mash for pre-emergent weed control? $89.95 for 2 1/2 gallons. Mix 1 quart to a gallon of water. It is supposed to treat 10,000 sq ft.

Steve

turfmaster
07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I know, I tried a coffee filter (too slow), a number of screens (window and door - too large). Still experimenting.
Have you heard of Liquid Gold? It is a water soluble liquid corn glutin mash for pre-emergent weed control? $89.95 for 2 1/2 gallons. Mix 1 quart to a gallon of water. It is supposed to treat 10,000 sq ft.

Steve

Steve,
Who carries the liquid corn gluten that you mention above ?

swstout
07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Steve,
Who carries the liquid corn gluten that you mention above ?

http://store.yardorganics.com/liquigold-biofertilizer-liquid-corn-gluten-meal.html (http://store.yardorganics.com/liquigold-biofertilizer-liquid-corn-gluten-meal.html)
Product Description
Liqui*Gold Biofertilizer combines the effectiveness of Corn Gluten Meal (CGM) with the convenience of a sprayable liquid material. Effective as a pre-emergent for crabgrass and many broadleaf weeds, yet lower nitrogen than granular forms to help you more effectively manage your turf nitrogen budget. Our exclusive formulation results from enzymatic hydroysis of CGM and addition of a liquid carrier to provide a convenient, economical organic pre-emergent product.

Research at Iowa State University found that use of Corn Gluten Hydrolysate (CGH) could reduce crabgrass populations by almost 93% compared to controls. Mix rate 1:3

Features & Benefits: -sprayable water soluble corn gluten meal product, -good source of nitrogen -cover more area with less product compared to granular or powered corn gluten.

2.5 gallon covers 10,000 sq ft. Price includes shipping.

I came across this while looking for an organic pre-emergent organic crabgrass product.

Steve

picframer
07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Steve, I have just about given up on this Canadian product but still have 20 gallons left, bought way too much. It is not filtered well at all and it is a major PITA as I haven't found anything to strain it will so that it doesn't plug the units. I will try this product, I have read mixed reviews on Corn Gluten but never tried it, will order 5 gallons and give it a shot.

swstout
07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks Steve, I have just about given up on this Canadian product but still have 20 gallons left, bought way too much. It is not filtered well at all and it is a major PITA as I haven't found anything to strain it will so that it doesn't plug the units. I will try this product, I have read mixed reviews on Corn Gluten but never tried it, will order 5 gallons and give it a shot.

I was going to order 2-1/2 gallons and try it but funds are a little sparse now as business has dropped off. The University of Ohio tested it with a 1:3 ratio with 93% effectiveness. The manugacturer says 1:4.

Let me know.

Steve

Steve
07-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Steve that is a great tip! Thanks for sharing it.