PDA

View Full Version : Tiller help?

jasonw
07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I was hoping anyone could tell me anything about this tiller? For the record I am not using it for commercial use and I already know it is old and decrepit and held together with 16 penny nails but its been in my back yard for a few years and now I have a small area to till up so I pulled it out. It was given to me a few years ago and I was told it sat for about 23 years in the guys backyard. I changed the oil, put gas in it and she fired right up but has a few problems. The revers belt is missing but I don't care about that. The old slide choke is held in the carb with a rivet that is wore out so gas leaks from the carb, Can you still get carbs like this or at least one that will be compatible? The muffler and SA are also rotted away and it dosnt take a dummy to see a gas leak and rotted spark arestor is a recipe for disaster lol. Last one, the shut off is missing but there is a wire between the manifold and head "pictured" I assume grounding this to the head will kill the motor? Any thought, suggestions, comments other than the obvious ones?

Not to change the subject but on another note I did what was recommended. The Toyota is in the shop as we speak getting the exhaust system redone. I'm told it will still sound very good just not as loud and obnoxious as before. I decided to take it one step further and have the front end rebuilt, rear axle seals replaced "they have leaked for years" wheels balanced and a few other small things. Hopefully it will be good to go by the end of the day today.

MikeO
07-15-2009, 03:32 PM
paint it and use it till it dies. nobody is going to know the difference

jasonw
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I wish I could. I need to first get rid of the fire hazard and get the exhaust replaced. I tried for a few minutes to start it this morning but it wouldn't start.

Steve
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Did you find a place online that has the parts for it?

jasonw
07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Actually the name brought up a lot of Sears references so I called them to see if they made it, purchased the company or had parts. Now I am a very calm person and try to be nice but this person on there CS line could not speak clear enough English for me to understand what she was saying so I said forget it, I will go to my local Sears this weekend where they are American and speak the language clear enough to understand.

SuperiorPower
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry that I did not get in one this discussion earlier. Remember, I can get these parts (if I don't already have them in stock). Yes, the carbs and all that are still available since they were made by Briggs and Stratton. Now, let me warn you, the cost may well be prohibitive for what the mower is worth. And let me say, before I would go to a Sears store, I would find a local small engine dealer/mechanic. Most times Sears stores do not have a in-house mechanic and the people at the store will have less of a clue what you need than the elk in Wyoming do about the temperatures in the Equator region.....

The wire in the picture is indeed the shut off wire. It typically mounts below the tank on the bottom mounting bracket. But unless you know exactly where it goes or where it hooks to, you are likely to never find it since the connector is so small (flat and about the size of a dime, except more of a oblong shape). It is intended to shut off when when the engine is slowed down far enough.

If I sparked any other questions, or did not completely answer any of your current questions, please feel free to post them. I will try to get online again in the next day or so and will do my best to help you out.

Good luck,
Eli

jasonw
07-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Sorry it took me a bit. My truck blew up Thursday and yesterday my other car died so now I am new truck shopping. Picking up a Dodge 1500 tomorrow woohoo I can hardly wait. Can I just ground that wire to any part of the motor to get it shut off? How much for a new carb and exhaust shipped to 95640?

SuperiorPower
07-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Sorry it took me a bit. My truck blew up Thursday and yesterday my other car died so now I am new truck shopping. Picking up a Dodge 1500 tomorrow woohoo I can hardly wait. Can I just ground that wire to any part of the motor to get it shut off? How much for a new carb and exhaust shipped to 95640?

Ok, before I can answer that, I need to know the model, spec, and serial # for the engine. This info should be located on the rewind shroud near the spark plug area. For information on where to locate these numbers, go here (http://lawnmowerforum.superiorpowerequip.com/index.php/topic,63.new.html#new) and on the second link there, look at the pictures of the 2 engines on the top left. One of these should be like your engine, probably the far left engine.

The model # should look like this: "80111". spec should be like this: "0668-E1" and the serial # should be like "87123466". From there I can research the price etc, but be forewarned, you should be able to get them just as cheap locally as you can from me, plus I have to charge shipping and they don't. Just the same, I would be more than happy to ship them to you if you choose to do so.

Good Luck,
Eli

jasonw
07-26-2009, 11:20 AM
I will see if I can locate the numbers. The problem with getting them locally is we have no parts place or repair place for these anywhere around here. We do have a local sears but after my experience with them on the phone the last thing I want to do is give them my money, Not until they bring there CS back to America at least.