PDA

View Full Version : Will rising fuel costs drive homeowners to

Steve
05-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Are you concerned at all that homeowners will be driven to do more or their yard maintenance themselves due to highter gas prices? It seems like some in the industry are concerned.

We still love our lawn mowers (http://www.denverpost.com/grow/ci_3786535) - Some in the lawn-care industry also wonder if people who use lawn services are going back to doing it themselves, either because they believe they can do a better job themselves or because of rising fees connected to fuel costs. "I suspect you'll see more of that because lawn services are highly dependent on fuel, not just for mowing but to get where they're going," said Peter Sawchuk, who tests mowers for Consumer Reports magazine.

Consumers will find machines designed to be far easier to start and use than just a few years ago. In a highly competitive market, manufacturers have made ergonomics a priority, not just for creaky boomers but for women of all ages. "You're seeing more doing yardwork, either single women or stay-at-home moms," said Bill Boltz, Home Depot's merchandising vice president for outdoor power equipment.

kc2006
05-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I think more people will start doing it themselves to save the money due to the fact that their own fuel costs are going up and they want to shave money off other areas of their bills.

I haven't upped any of my mowing prices, after hearing what Troy had to say it made sense, and all my accounts have been accuired last year and this year so I've bid them with fuel being high. Unless fuel gets over $4 I'm fine. If it get's over $4, my cost per yard will go up about $1-$1.50. Not a big hit to me. A local company made it in the paper the other day because he upped all his accounts (all residential 8000sq ft and under) $3 due to fuel. Pretty big increase for 30 minute accounts I think esspecially since him and I work nearly the exact same boundries so I know he's not hurting in drive mileage.

But like I said, I think people are starting to hurt due to costs of living going up everywhere (fuel, and other things that are raised in price due to fuel, ie food's, clothing) that they'll get rid of the petty services they don't really need or can do them selves. Not because of a $1 or $2 surcharge.

Steve
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
At what fuel price do you feel you would really start seeing people decides to do it themselves?

kc2006
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I think $4 is going to be the breaking point for alot of people. Like someone said on the news one time, people will still buy it if it jumps to $3.50 and stays there. That's only a few cents more per mile you drive. When fuel gets to $5 and up, people are going to dramaticly cut back, but up until then they feel "whats a few more cents".

tiedeman
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I am fine paying like $3.25 to $3.50. That is my limit. But anything over that is getting up there big time. If gas ever reaches $5 a gallon within the next year or two, I personally will be looking for other work....something of where I don't have to drive.