PDA

View Full Version : Pricing over the phone

sasquatchmonk
07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Today I had this annoying potential customer call me from craigslist asking about delivering and spreading mulch. He said he had an area of 32x5 and was asking how much he would need and how much would I charge. I said i would really need to look at the area. And he hesitated on giving me an address, he got frustrated and eventually hung up. Now I haven't got much experience in guesstimating that kinda figure. I'm thinking he wasn't very serious about getting it done, if they are asking for esitmates over the phone

justin_time
07-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Today I had this annoying potential customer call me from craigslist asking about delivering and spreading mulch. He said he had an area of 32x5 and was asking how much he would need and how much would I charge. I said i would really need to look at the area. And he hesitated on giving me an address, he got frustrated and eventually hung up. Now I haven't got much experience in guesstimating that kinda figure. I'm thinking he wasn't very serious about getting it done, if they are asking for esitmates over the phone

The first thing I ask is for a street/mailing address so i can go visit the location/know where to send the bill. If they don't provide me an address.. I do not give them an estimate.. it's quite simple.

jasonw
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Thus far almost every single person has asked me for a quote over the phone. Normally I don't give it and they have absolutely no problem letting me go to the location to see what I am in for. Even though I know what it will take to mow a 2X60 lawn I still wont quote over the phone. I would not loose any sleep over this guy.

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm thinking he wasn't very serious about getting it done, if they are asking for esitmates over the phone

More than likely he was trying to get you to lowball the estimate. Then, when you got to the worksite you would find a drainage problem or a high area that needed to be leveled.

On-the-phone pricing without surveying the jobsite and knowing all that is involved with the job is rarely a good idea.

Steve
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi sasquatchmonk,

Do you think this discussion has changed the way you will handle such a situation in the future? If so, how will it?

turfmaster
07-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Typical low baller off of Craigs list.
Never estimate a job without seeing it.

mark123
07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Typical low baller off of Craigs list.
Yep, first they ask for an estimate hoping you'll give one, then they say "Joe Bucketochicken said he'd do it for $11.fitty". Then they expect you to match or beat that price.

I'd just tell them to "call Joe back. He's your man."

MikeO
07-15-2009, 12:28 AM
bucketochicken LMAO

sasquatchmonk
07-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi sasquatchmonk,

Do you think this discussion has changed the way you will handle such a situation in the future? If so, how will it?

I think it has Steve. I have never been fond of giving quotes over the phone. There are some wierd people on craigslist. I'd almost rather pay to put an add in the paper and see if I couldn't reach a different class of people.