PDA

View Full Version : New toy help?

jasonw
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok so yesterday I literally melted my poor old reliable weed eater cutting a fire break so I had to get a new one. This thing is awesome. 29CC 4 stroke ar ar arr. I have only bee able to play with it in my back yard and love it so far but I have a problem. I got an attachment to help with the fire break as regular orange line that the spool holds wont cut it with this job but I need to take the entire spool off and replace it. How the heck do you get it off? Its a Troy Built TB575SS Any help is appreciated. Check out the picture compared to my old one.

I am getting a database error and cant attach a picture. You have the make and model so maybe you can go off of that and I will try to attach a picture later.

MikeO
07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
this the right one?

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=24702

see what that says usually you just push them in on the sides and the cap comes off. or is that the new ones where you just stick the pice of plastic in on the sides?. cant see from the pictures ive looked at. throw it against a wall a few times till it comes off.

jasonw
07-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Thats a bummer. I really like the thing but it looks like I will have to return it now as I can not change the head on it. I had a feeling I should have stuck with the good ol green.

Steve
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I am getting a database error and cant attach a picture.

I think the problem with it is the image is too large. Try making it smaller and then reposting it.

jasonw
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
That could be it Steve, It was a rather large image. I will resize and retry with this message. The good news is I found out how to use universal heads on my new Trybilt today. It was a simple matter of sitting down, taking a deep breath and reading. The manual says nothing about it but the back of the packaging the new head came it illustrates exactly how to do it on Trybilt equipment so I am very happy now. The true test however will come this afternoon when I finish the job that melted down my little green guy.

justin_time
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
That could be it Steve, It was a rather large image. I will resize and retry with this message. The good news is I found out how to use universal heads on my new Trybilt today. It was a simple matter of sitting down, taking a deep breath and reading. The manual says nothing about it but the back of the packaging the new head came it illustrates exactly how to do it on Trybilt equipment so I am very happy now. The true test however will come this afternoon when I finish the job that melted down my little green guy.

You run those as commercial equipment ? Those won't last you very long :confused: :confused:

jasonw
07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
My property before this was an acre. Now I have a half acre. My little green guy has lasted me 5 years with no problems until now. Paid for itself many times over. I read reviews and did research and saw all the problems with both of these models but all I have to say is a lot can be said for proper maintenance. People think they can take these things and run them all day and night without ever so much as blowing them off. If you maintain them and dont beet the hell out of them they will last for years. A perfect example is the green one. Its given me 5 years of very reliable great service but 3 hours of brush cutting and chopping down hundreds of 1/4" pine trees proved to be to much for it. I beet on it for 3 hours non stop and she finally gave in, it dose however still run great but I will no longer be using it for stuff like that. The green one is just a direct drive which I am sure all the hitting trees and dirt bringing it to a dead stall is one of the things that caused the problems. The new one has a clutch and I would assume as with everything ells the jolts like that will not affect the motor in such a way as the clutch should soak it up. On top of that a lot can be said about 4 stroke reliability as well as B&S motors. I have never ever had an issue with a B&S motor that was not human caused. My mower is the same story, 5 years old and still going strong. I have to agree but disagree with your opinion. I am sure this new one would not stand up to the rigors of a 12 hour day for to long. I however at this time have only 4 clients. I average about 3 hours of work a week at this time and only 2 of those clients require the use of a weed eater so I am sure this new one will be up to the task of taking me to the next level in this business. The availability of all the attachments is a bonus that is sure to save my some money and storage room on future jobs as well. One of the biggest complaints I have read about this one is about the motors not being reliable as well as the main seals in them going out but most complainants fail to realize the manual says to change the oil after 10 hours of use for the first time and 25 hours every other time thereafter. I could very well be wrong and if so I hope it burns up in the first 30 days so I can take it strait back to lowes. If it dose or even when it dose if I don't think it has given me good service I will try a different brand. I hear JD makes good equipment, do they make weed whackers? Anyway truth be told I was very iffy when shopping for this as my Weed Eater brand has been so darn reliable for so many years I really thought I should just stick with them. Also the green one was 1/4 the cost of the new one.

justin_time
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
My property before this was an acre. Now I have a half acre. My little green guy has lasted me 5 years with no problems until now. Paid for itself many times over. I read reviews and did research and saw all the problems with both of these models but all I have to say is a lot can be said for proper maintenance. People think they can take these things and run them all day and night without ever so much as blowing them off. If you maintain them and dont beet the hell out of them they will last for years. A perfect example is the green one. Its given me 5 years of very reliable great service but 3 hours of brush cutting and chopping down hundreds of 1/4" pine trees proved to be to much for it. I beet on it for 3 hours non stop and she finally gave in, it dose however still run great but I will no longer be using it for stuff like that. The green one is just a direct drive which I am sure all the hitting trees and dirt bringing it to a dead stall is one of the things that caused the problems. The new one has a clutch and I would assume as with everything ells the jolts like that will not affect the motor in such a way as the clutch should soak it up. On top of that a lot can be said about 4 stroke reliability as well as B&S motors. I have never ever had an issue with a B&S motor that was not human caused. My mower is the same story, 5 years old and still going strong. I have to agree but disagree with your opinion. I am sure this new one would not stand up to the rigors of a 12 hour day for to long. I however at this time have only 4 clients. I average about 3 hours of work a week at this time and only 2 of those clients require the use of a weed eater so I am sure this new one will be up to the task of taking me to the next level in this business. The availability of all the attachments is a bonus that is sure to save my some money and storage room on future jobs as well. One of the biggest complaints I have read about this one is about the motors not being reliable as well as the main seals in them going out but most complainants fail to realize the manual says to change the oil after 10 hours of use for the first time and 25 hours every other time thereafter. I could very well be wrong and if so I hope it burns up in the first 30 days so I can take it strait back to lowes. If it dose or even when it dose if I don't think it has given me good service I will try a different brand. I hear JD makes good equipment, do they make weed whackers? Anyway truth be told I was very iffy when shopping for this as my Weed Eater brand has been so darn reliable for so many years I really thought I should just stick with them. Also the green one was 1/4 the cost of the new one.

John Deere trimmers (http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/series/ho_line_trimmers_series.html)

jasonw
07-13-2009, 07:37 PM
I have an update. I just got back from finishing the job and I absolutely love this thing. The auto feeder was awesome until it got tangled up. I tried the big reel that hold 4 of the big purple line and it bogged the motor to much to be really to useful and made me worry about burning it up so I removed the large lines and added 4 of the smaller orange lines and it kicked but. Very low RPM cutting the hell out of the weeds. After Saturday I estimated another 4 hours before finishing the job. Well I did it in 2 hours. WOOHOO. This is only the first job its been on which means nothing as far as its reliability. I will keep everyone posted.

Steve
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
How does the machine handle being a 4-stroke vs. a 2 stroke? I would figure it run differently.

kdexpd
07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Ya know, I've been looking into getting a 4-stroke weedeater for some time now. The thing that peaked my interest is that you can get a propane conversion kit for them for not a whole lot of $$. I've always wondered how efficient propane would be. I see that they will run on a little propane bottle, like the kind you buy in a 5 pack at Wally World to run your camp stoves and such. Might be something worth looking into. Has anyone here tried the propane conversions on anything??

jasonw
07-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I have not heard of that conversion. Steve as far as difference there are a world of differences. Cut a lot more weeds at a lot lower RPM. No smoke in the exhaust, I had zero numbness in my hands after 2 hours of continuous use unlike the tingling fingers after only 30 minutes on my 2 stroke. My only complaint is the RMPs are not there. A 2 stroke will far out rev this 4 stroke any day of the week and that can be annoying when cutting in thick weeds but for normal use this thing will cut down 1/8" baby pine trees at just above idle, the torq is unbelievable. and as far as refueling is concerned I love it. No more wandering what is what or marking 30:1 40:1 50:1 cans. Just pour in strait gas and go. I am absolutely positive the neighbors as well as the client like it a lot more as the 40,000 RPM of a 2 stroke can get annoying after a while. Other than that lets face it, its a 4 stroke so there is a cool factor. It is however about 3 times as expensive as most residential 2 strokes on the market and dose suck up more gas that my little 2 stroke. I did run it for 2 strait hours on one tank of gas though so that's not bad.

MikeO
07-15-2009, 12:24 AM
hmm thats funny because you can buy a 4 stroke cub cadet that would walk circles around anything out there for the same price as a 2 stroke one. 225$ with a 3 year warranty cub cadet. heavy duty shaft included. just because its a 4 stroke doesnt mean its more expensive then a 2 stroke. you are right its just one gas can and not 2 or 3. northern tool has cub cadet with a 3 year warranty for $225. thats tax included. Does it run faster? how big is the engine just says 4 stroke doesnt make it faster. different engine sizes make it faster. 2 stoke or 4 its the size and rpm. depends what you wants and needs are.

jasonw
07-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Is Cub cadet a regular run of the mill Lowes residential purpose Weed Eater? If not it clearly said in my post
"It is however about 3 times as expensive as most residential 2 strokes on the market"

My normal old run of the mill Weed eater brand "no commercial" weed eater ran me about $70 brand new about 5 years ago.
"Does it run faster? how big is the engine just says 4 stroke doesn't make it faster"
Again, please read my post I never said it was faster. As a matter a fact I believe I said the 2 stroke was much faster, Let me reflect........
Ahhh yes here it is
"My only complaint is the RMPs are not there. A 2 stroke will far out rev this 4 stroke any day of the week and that can be annoying when cutting in thick weeds"

I guess in all fairness the 4 stroke is 29CC and the 2 stroke is 32CC so ok its going to have more power but this 2 stroke 32CC dosnt have nearly the tourq of the 29CC 4 stroke. Show me a 4 stroke that will do 60K RPM and I will show you a blown up motor.

Steve
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I am absolutely positive the neighbors as well as the client like it a lot more as the 40,000 RPM of a 2 stroke can get annoying after a while.

Is the 4 stroke a lot quieter? Do you find you still need ear protection when running it?

I see that they will run on a little propane bottle, like the kind you buy in a 5 pack at Wally World to run your camp stoves and such. Might be something worth looking into. Has anyone here tried the propane conversions on anything??

I haven't seen anyone do this yet. If you feel like experimenting, why not try it out and report back to us with what you find. You might end up getting others to try it as well!

jasonw
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Is the 4 stroke a lot quieter? Do you find you still need ear protection when running it?

Steve the 4 stroke is a lot quieter. Quieter even than my lawn mower and the car for that matter lol. I see no reason for ear protection, not with this make and model at least.

MikeO
07-15-2009, 03:02 PM
somebodys touchy on the board i like that. cub cadet isnt just sold in lowes run of the mill stores. northern tool sells them tool crib. cub cadet has a very strong engine. depends what model u buy, you want to really talk costs with me??? please do.

jasonw
07-15-2009, 03:24 PM
So the Cub Cadet is more of a commercial model than Weed Eater or This Troy Bilt model.

MikeO
07-15-2009, 03:29 PM
i dont know bro,
i dont waste my money on that weed eater or troy bilt. I don't some do. depends what you like and thats what it boils down to. you can read and read and read and read and read. unless you buy it and have used it it really means nothing to me. opinions are everywhere... what some say sucks might be great for somebody else. if the troy bilt is good for you thats all that matters.