PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino

Steve
07-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I know this has been out a little while but I was just recently able to see it and it was really good.

Clint's character is like an amalgamation of all his previous movie characters, just older. There were a bunch of scenes in it with him spitting that reminded me of scenes from his movie 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'.

Very powerful movie and it's good to see Clint still kicking *** :)

Did you see the movie? What did you think of it?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cYquSTxCu5E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cYquSTxCu5E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

golfnpreacher
07-09-2009, 11:55 AM
GREAT MOVIE and a good message in it

picframer
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
A very powerful movie, I saw it with my daughter when it first came out, love Clint, very good actor......a very strong message in that film!

mark123
07-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I giggled every time he grunted or talked. The dialog was just simply superb. :D

Steve
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
GREAT MOVIE and a good message in it
This movie was very complex. A lot of human drama in it. What message did you get from it? I think there was so much going on in the movie that I am still trying to figure it out.

Like for instance, why was he able to get along ultimately with his neighbors but he couldn't connect with his own kids or grandkids? Was it just a matter of he didn't reach out to them, or they didn't reach out to him?

swstout
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
This movie was very complex. A lot of human drama in it. What message did you get from it? I think there was so much going on in the movie that I am still trying to figure it out.

Like for instance, why was he able to get along ultimately with his neighbors but he couldn't connect with his own kids or grandkids? Was it just a matter of he didn't reach out to them, or they didn't reach out to him?

Ultimately, he could see in his neighbors for the most part tradition, values, and history. In his own family, he could only see greed. His neighbors ware caught in a new set of new generation values ( or lack of) and his family embraced them (the lack of values). He viewed right and wrong as black and white. His family couldn't differentiate them.

Steve

Steve
07-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Ultimately, he could see in his neighbors for the most part tradition, values, and history. In his own family, he could only see greed. His neighbors ware caught in a new set of new generation values ( or lack of) and his family embraced them (the lack of values). He viewed right and wrong as black and white. His family couldn't differentiate them.

That is a very good point.

I was thinking about this and then I wondered, well why did his family turn out this way? Did they rebel against him? Did he set in motion the path for his family to focus on the greed? Could he have seen this a long time ago and redirected the family or did he have no control over this?

How much of that problem did he cause and could he have fixed and how much of it was out of his control?

swstout
07-11-2009, 10:44 AM
[quote]Ultimately, he could see in his neighbors for the most part tradition, values, and history. In his own family, he could only see greed. His neighbors ware caught in a new set of new generation values ( or lack of) and his family embraced them (the lack of values). He viewed right and wrong as black and white. His family couldn't differentiate them.[/QUOTE

That is a very good point.

I was thinking about this and then I wondered, well why did his family turn out this way? Did they rebel against him? Did he set in motion the path for his family to focus on the greed? Could he have seen this a long time ago and redirected the family or did he have no control over this?

How much of that problem did he cause and could he have fixed and how much of it was out of his control?

Probably both. He could have done more but society has really taken away a lot of parental influence. Values have wandered from tradition, patriotism, and doing what's right (not just what's easy). It's a "what's in it for me environment now. Not for the good of the community (or in our case, the good of the customer). It's gone from "do it right the first time so you don't have to do it over", to "How can I get out of doing it at all".

My opinnion and observation.

Steve

jds2381
07-15-2009, 12:00 PM
One of the best movies I have seen (or is it saw) recently. Seen!