PDA

View Full Version : You can't have it all? Or can you?

Steve
05-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Here is an interesting article that talks about Wal-mart and then compares it to the Apple stores. The author talks about how bad the customer service is at Wal-Mart but how good the prices are. When I go to Wal-Mart it is because it's convenient and the price is good. I don't go there for customer service. I don't think others do either. People go there because they are willing to forgo quality customer service for good prices. It's the price that matters.

Could Wal-Mart improve themselves? Sure they could. Why don't they improve their customer service? Because it would cost more and would increase prices at Wal-Mart. If the customers ultimately don't like it they will buy somewhere else and Wal-Mart will be forced to improve or die off.

The author then compares Wal-Mart with Apple stores. Well, I would think the profit margin on Apple computers is going to be higher than 5%. In fact it is going to be a lot higher which will allow Apple to cover their costs of training staff.

So if you don't like Wal-mart's customer service, shop somewhere else and if enough people feel the way you do, it will make a difference. If not, maybe then most people don't care enough about it.

What's your view?

The Importance of Customer Service (http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/1087/) - In fact, Wal-Mart really has only two things going for it, price and selection. However these are two very big selling points. Having the lowest price in town is certainly a good way to entice customers to come to your store. And with a wide enough selection of products you can convince them to do most of their shopping at your store. Many people can (and will) do +90% of their shopping at a Wal-Mart. After all, since you can get so much there, why go anywhere else? Right? Why make two trips when one will suffice? Many people buy into this philosiphy and they have help make Wal-Mart into an amazingly profitable company.

However, these savings come at a price. And that price is customer service. I have never been to any business where consistantly the service was this pathetic.