PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from our fathers

Steve
07-05-2009, 04:16 AM
What was the greatest lesson you learned from your father?

One of my favorites was 'you can learn something from anybody, regardless of their level of intelligence.'

Steve W
07-05-2009, 06:46 AM
My dad was a Marine. (Recon)
This may sound mean but one of the things that has stuck with me (but not the only thing) was he told me @ a young age( Steve there is no such thing as a fair fight, do what it takes to stay on top) This has helped me alot in life.:cool:

picframer
07-05-2009, 06:48 AM
What was the greatest lesson you learned from your father?

One of my favorites was 'you can learn something from anybody, regardless of their level of intelligence.'

Never limit yourself to try something based on what you may currently know about it, give everything that interests you a try, you may not be perfect at it however you can get there.

I think I took it to the extreme as I think I have tried just about everything and have a blast doing it and when a situation comes up I have at least a general idea of how to do it.

musician/lawnman
07-05-2009, 10:39 AM
It's hard to choose one lesson from them all. Here's one or two that comes to mind right now.
As a kid I worked at a taco bell, The managers raved over what a good job & how hard a worker I was, I kept getting raises quickly & they at one point were agrivated that they needed a shift manager & I was the only one qualified for the spot but I was only 16 and couldn't be a manager at that age. I told my father that I couldn't understand what the big deal was as I was just doing my job? I stayed busy & kept working all the time, after all I was on he clock & they were paying me to WORK? He said son, there are alot of idiots & slackers out there. Sometimes all you need to do is just work & do a good job to look great compared to the idiots next to you. So go to work and thank the idiots.
(mildly related) Just days before I bought my 1st trailer to start my business, I had my wife have about 4 lawn care companies come give us an estimate on our house... 2 of the 4 told my wife they weren't sure they could keep the yard looking as good as it did when they came to do the estimate....? What the hell is that?! Thank you, idiots. I was glad to know my competition for this business would be as tough as the co-workers back at taco bell.:)

As far as fighting.... I was always taught to drop the biggest guy 1st. Get him out of the way. Useful advice that has been implemented many times.:D

FloridaBoy
07-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't know if it was a lesson, but my Great Grandfather, and my Dad where tough, quiet men. What i got or implemented in my life was, work as hard as you can, then try just a liittle harder, don't talk business with your family, keep your problems to yourself, and then work just a little bit harder the next day. May not work for everyone, but i am not everyone, i am me. HAHA.:cool: