PDA

View Full Version : String Trimmer

golfnpreacher
07-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm just wondering.... this is for you seasoned vets of the Lawn Care business, do you use the debris shield that comes on the string trimmer or do you take it off? Or perhaps you've lost it over the years, do you seek to replace it, or go without.

picframer
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM
It stays on all trimmers, in fact all safety gear stays in place, two reasons, first is employee safety, if something happens I am responsible, second is we are inspected on a regular basis, workers comp guys come around, boots must be csa approved, line trimmer guys must have glasses and ear protection and the list goes on, any infractions are one warning then a fine that starts at $750.00 plus 13% tax and these guys do not fool around, they will shut your company down so fast it would make one's head spin.

XtreemGreen
07-02-2009, 06:29 PM
99% of the time, I dont have anyone working with me..|The trimmer guards have always come off right after they are bought.. They get clogged with grass and make them much heavier..If you know how to use a trimmer, you wont get hit in the shins too many times.. But I always wear safety glasses..

mark123
07-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I've never taken the guard off. If you do that there is nothing to cut the line and it gets too long and out of balance when one is longer than the other.

I've seen a lot of other guys run without it though.

Another similar question: Straight or bent shaft, which do you prefer?

ritchiem
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I always 'use' to take off the guards when we bought one...they are better to use for edging and lighten the head...however, they are there for a reason.

The big reason I leave all safety shields on now is the Ministry of Labour. Big fines if you don't have them on and I don't feel like being shut down.

SuperiorPower
07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I would strongly recommend keeping the guard on. In my opinion, anything negative about keeping the guard on is secondary to safety. I would rather carry a few extra pounds with me for a few hours per day than suffer the health or various other risks that are posed by removing them.

I recommend a straight shaft trimmer for anything more than trimming your own yard. Straight shaft trimmers are much more durable simply because of design. The design that I am referring to is the shaft itself. Simply put, a curve shaft trimmer has to have a flexible steel shaft to turn the head. Almost invariably, at least with anything other than the cheap trimmers, the straight shaft trimmers will have a solid steel shaft. Some trimmers, like Shindaiwa, have machines splined ends on both ends of the shaft itself. Others choose to go the cheap route with only flat spots or pressed splines which are not as strong or durable. This is all from a mechanics perspective.

Beyond that, a straight shaft trimmer is able to reach under yard ornaments/fixtures and items more easily, at least in my opinion and experience.

-Eli

ritchiem
07-02-2009, 09:26 PM
anything negative about keeping the guard on is secondary to safety.

Not to start anything here...but man I get hit in the head more often with the guard on than off. I just got a pinecone between the eyes today came right off the guard and 'ping'!

kdexpd
07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
I always remove the guards. I hate them and when I'm trimming tall grass it always snags and causes me to scalp. However I always wear jeans and steel toed boots when I'm working. I guess if you wear shorts and sneakers you might run into a problem. Once you get used to working with one without the guard, you'll learn how much to tap the head and not get too much string. I must warn you though, once you remove that thing, you'll never go back to having it! I also remove all the grass chutes on my push mowers too. I hate how they leave rows of grass. The main key is you have to be aware of your surroundings when you remove guards on any equipment. Always keep in mind where your discharge is going to go and be aware of any people, pets, or property. The 3 biggest "P's" of this business.
I agree with extreemgreen about the safety glasses though. I never trim without my sunglasses on..EVER. I've been pinged in the eyeball too many times (just as many times with the guard as without) Here's a quick "eye-opener" so to speak: Put some clear safety glasses on next time you trim. When you're finished, take them off and check out all the debris on them. Now just think all that crap would have been in your eyes and it would have taken you twice as long to do the job because you would have been trying to get it out of your eyes instead of trimming.