PDA

View Full Version : Learn from others mistakes

Steve
05-04-2006, 07:43 AM
If you get a chance read this article on the dispute between the landscaper and the home owner.

Two specific parts stand out. The contract did not have a date the project was to be finished by and secondly, the contract didn't give enough description of what it included.

The customer thought he was getting a stone wall held together with mortar. The landscaper didn't use mortar.

Ultimately, the landscaper was fired from a $41,000 job. Not to mention nationwide negative press about the company. This could all have been avoided with a better worded contract.

Homeowner, Landscaper Contract Dispute (http://www.wltx.com/news/news19.aspx?storyid=36825) - "In fact, you can even pick up the stones," he says, holding one in his hand.

The contract reads "stack stone wall", which could be open to interpretation.

By Wednesday, though, Smith fired Turner. The landscaper says he was fired before he could finish the job and Randolph admits the contract did not have a completion date.

tiedeman
05-05-2006, 05:58 PM
That is why installation is no longer for me. The last major installation I did was last May, and it was basically the same thing, misunderstanding. I did refund the couple the money for work that they were not happy with and work that I did not complete, but they wanted more. They thought that I was making $10 an hr, not $50 an hr. It was a battle for about a couple of weeks until I finally told them that I am pursuing legal matters against them. They bascially paid me after that.

Steve
05-05-2006, 06:15 PM
What would you suggest to new lcos who are getting into installs?

tiedeman
05-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Make sure you are experienced enough and know the costs enough to do it. Also make sure to know the liabilities with installing a landscape, digging holes in the ground, installing lighting, installing retaining walls, etc.

Make sure the landscape plans are drawn out exactly how they are going to be performed. Pictures are the best thing, because then their are no misunderstandings

Steve
05-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I could see how one big mistake like this could put a new LCO out of business.