PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove small tree/shrubs?

firstchoice1
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
It's a fenced in back yard so using my truck to pull them out is out of the question. I was thinking about digging around them, using branch cutters on smaller roots and a chainsaw on the bigger roots, but worried my chainsaw will dull to badley from the dirt.

Any ideas?

Little's
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
You could cut them as low as possible with your saw, then grind the stumps out with a rented stump grinder. I have a couple guys that do stumps as a business, and its surprisingly cheap.

picframer
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
It's a fenced in back yard so using my truck to pull them out is out of the question. I was thinking about digging around them, using branch cutters on smaller roots and a chainsaw on the bigger roots, but worried my chainsaw will dull to badley from the dirt.

Any ideas?

It would also ruin the bar on the chainsaw and presents a hazzard to the operator.

Mini excavator will do it in no time, we do a lot of these, I have one unit that the tracks retract and I can go through a 32" opening.

We also use a stump grinder mounted on the three point hitch of the tractor, works slick although the mini is my choice as I can bury everything and grade, soil and sod it for the customer...more $$$...:)

Andy

Steve
07-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Home Depot has stump grinders and they should be able to work just fine on hedges.

Like Andy said, as soon as a chain saw comes into contact with dirt, when you are trying to cut roots, you will kill the blade. It just wasn't designed to do it.

Keep us posted on what route you decide to take and take some pictures too.

Little's
07-03-2009, 01:07 AM
I took 3 large trees out of a yard today and had my stump guy come over and grind them. One had an extensive root system unlike any Ive ever seen before. He charged me $200 total. I billed the owner $1000 for the tress and $300 for the grinding. So I guess it pays to know the right people.

Its good to have a stump person when you do this type of work. Even I get to make money on his VERY expensive equipment. I think he said he paid $30,000 for his grinder and trailer or something like that.

mark123
07-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Here's what I would use:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=ks12

I've only broken one in twenty years.

Dig around each shrub using the shovel to cut the roots and pry it out of the ground only taking care if you are moving the plant to a new location. Otherwise just blast it out of there.

What sort of shrubbery are we talking here?

firstchoice1
07-03-2009, 05:55 AM
It's for my sister's fiance so I just want to get it right. In the past I've dug around, used branch cutters on smaller roots and hand saw on bigger ones. Used a spud bar to pry it out(those things are great) I think in this case I'll use a 32 metro as well on planks to pull it out(so I don't leave ruts)

They are over grown Juniper and Ornamental broadleaf evergreens.