PDA

View Full Version : Price on fuel depot?

firstchoice1
07-01-2009, 05:27 AM
A larger/smarter landscape company will have a large fuel tank where everyone can fill up in the morning to save time.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea of how much those things generally cost? I was thinking like 1k+ gallon tanks. Also does it entail to have someone drop by to refuel it cost wise?

Thanks,
Travis

picframer
07-01-2009, 06:10 AM
A larger/smarter landscape company will have a large fuel tank where everyone can fill up in the morning to save time.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea of how much those things generally cost? I was thinking like 1k+ gallon tanks. Also does it entail to have someone drop by to refuel it cost wise?

Thanks,
Travis

I have wanted to do this for years however where I live you need an environmental permit and in short you will not get one. What companies like mine do however is have a gas box in the bed of their truck that will hold 100 to 250 gallons, I opted to not do this as it takes too much room.

As for cost, they run in the $500.00 range when I saw them years ago, when it was allowed.

Steve
07-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Would it be possible to get a delivery of gas if you created say a trailer with a few of these tanks? Or would you need to provide permits to get delivery?

firstchoice1
07-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I have wanted to do this for years however where I live you need an environmental permit and in short you will not get one. What companies like mine do however is have a gas box in the bed of their truck that will hold 100 to 250 gallons, I opted to not do this as it takes too much room.

As for cost, they run in the $500.00 range when I saw them years ago, when it was allowed.

Well adding a 100-250 gallon container in the bed of the truck would also cost a lot of gas to haul it around everywhere, not to mention like you said, take up much of their bed.

firstchoice1
07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Would it be possible to get a delivery of gas if you created say a trailer with a few of these tanks? Or would you need to provide permits to get delivery?

That might be a good idea steve, I imagine if you got a decent deal on a good size trailer, after cost of trailer and tanks of say 3k. I would imagine though that it would take some time to pay for itself. If lets say it cost 100 dollars each time you had the gas delivered.

firstchoice1
07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
That might be a good idea steve, I imagine if you got a decent deal on a good size trailer, after cost of trailer and tanks of say 3k. I would imagine though that it would take some time to pay for itself. If lets say it cost 100 dollars each time you had the gas delivered.

I would imagine though you'd have to get fueled up at a major fuel depot, I'm guessing that a gas station won't allow you to buy a thousand or more gallons of gas at a time. Also a depot may offer a better deal, maybe you could save the 5 or so cents a gallon a gas station operator would make since you are buying so much from the depot.

picframer
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Unless you have a farmers license they wil not deliver and only then if you have a permit which requires an enviromential impact certificate, this is a major thorn in my side as I pay$1.76 a gallon in taxes yet not one piece of equipment is driven on the road.....I have been tempted to burn furnace oil in the diesels as it's the same product just marked, it would save a few hundred a month....but probably against some law...

SuperiorPower
07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
I would highly recommend not using a tank (especially a stationary above-ground tank) unless you use it all within a few days of filling it. This is especially true if you only have access to ethanol fuel. I am still working on the ethanol article......

firstchoice1
07-02-2009, 04:43 AM
I would highly recommend not using a tank (especially a stationary above-ground tank) unless you use it all within a few days of filling it. This is especially true if you only have access to ethanol fuel. I am still working on the ethanol article......

Why must you use it all in a few days?

Steve
07-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Unless you have a farmers license they wil not deliver and only then if you have a permit which requires an enviromential impact certificate, this is a major thorn in my side

I can see that being a problem. I am guessing a gas delivery service would not want the potential liability of filling a tank to only have it leak and then THEY could be held liable for filling it.

firstchoice1
07-03-2009, 04:46 AM
How on earth would they be liable for YOUR leaky tank?

picframer
07-03-2009, 05:01 AM
How on earth would they be liable for YOUR leaky tank?

They have to do two things, make sure you have the necessary permit(s) and before filling they have to check for any leaks. Where I live most use furnace oil for heat, you can not buy insurance unless your tank bears a date 10 years old or newer and it's the fuel companies responsibility to ensure it falls within these guidelines, if there is a leak and I see them in the paper from time to time, the delivery company and homeowner are responsible, and the cost to do a clean up is insane.

SuperiorPower
07-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Why must you use it all in a few days?

Because of the water absorption rate of ethanol based fuels. Ethanol absorbs water and the ethanol also evaporates quickly. All of this causes a great deal of problems. Like I said, I am still working on an article about ethanol based fuels....

Steve W
07-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Andy,
I have 18 years of driving big trucks. Back in the early days when I started I had my on log truck and (Somebody) um, did burn farm grade in his truck. The only differnce was the color which made it cost more(taxes). If your not on the road or highway mower then I would use the farm grade.
Steve W

Steve W
07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
The gov. has been real strict on even farmers storing their own gas and fuel for a while now. Prop. even more strict after 9-11. You could prop. ask swstout about that.

firstchoice1
07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
It's doable, I imagine you need to get permits, but I worked for a LCO not too long ago that had about 30 trucks on their property and they had two storage tanks. So it's doable. I think the selling point is, if you try to go fill 5 trucks with trailers and mowers you're going to cause congestion in the gas station. Not to mention otherwise you have to give employees cards from which they could possibley steal from.

firstchoice1
07-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Because of the water absorption rate of ethanol based fuels. Ethanol absorbs water and the ethanol also evaporates quickly. All of this causes a great deal of problems. Like I said, I am still working on an article about ethanol based fuels....

Gasoline isn't ethanol based is it?