PDA

View Full Version : KDC Doorhanger concept

Steve
04-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Kurt,

Here is the basic idea. You are selling YOU. Your personalized service. The goal is this will make you stand out from competitors. It is especially important now as you are trying to bring in more customers. You are building your name and reputation.

You can see why I need a bigger picture from you. Otherwise it is way to small. I scaled this image down to show you here but you would need the larger image if you were going to have this printed.

On the back you could show the services you offer and other information on how you will personally make sure the customer is satisfied etc. We can come up with more ideas for that.

I just wanted to hear what you thought and what others thought too about the basic concept of it. We can change the image or whatever.

'Don't leave your lawn care to chance....
leave it to Kurt Chance.......'

It promotes you as the brand. Personalized service.

kc2006
04-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Looks good so far! I like the little saying too! I was watching a racing dvd last week and there's a company "Neal Chance converters" and their saying is "You don't have a chance, unless you have a Chance" and I wanted to come up with something like that. I think you got it!

I'll get the bigger pictures tomorrow and I can send you a large picture of my company logo in color too for the bottom.

This doorhanger has me excited, pretty soon is when people start to see they aren't satisfied with their current service or are deciding they'd rather have a company do it, so this will really help touch base with a personalized effect I think.

Thanks again!!!

Steve
04-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Great!

I totally want to see you grow this year and maybe this will help.

Maybe on the back we can point out why a homeowner should switch to you. Or point out why you are better.

I think going the personalized way will really make you stand out from the pack.

tiedeman
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
I would personally have a head shot instead of the picture of him by the mower.

Steve
04-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Good idea, maybe you can do that too Kurt?

I really like the thumbs up. I think it promotes confidence. That you can do the job.

Troy what else would you put on it?

tiedeman
04-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, I would put the head shot to the left and right beside it have it say something like "I guarantee quality work"

kc2006
04-16-2006, 12:31 PM
what about a shot from like chest up? This way I can get the thumbs up in there and have more then just my head.

On the back maybe do a little business profile like TG said. Describing how kdc is a locally owned business, our main goal's are customer service and quality work, how i'm also insured and state certified to apply fertilizer (I think adding credentials is a good thing, it pushs the fact that I'm experienced and that in a way shows quality, at least I think).

I still want to do a price quote at the bottom, this way people can cut the bottom off and it would be like a business card on the front and on the back would be the price quote.

I'll send you the pictures later on today along with the logo. My website address is www.kdclawncare.com if you wanted to toss that in somewhere down below too.

Steve
04-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Yea try a couple of different things with the photos and we can experiment. I am looking forwards to seeing what you come up with.

kc2006
04-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Sent you some more pictures just now. I came to realize that modeling is out for me, so we gotta make the landscaping gig work! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
04-16-2006, 09:37 PM
I think the picture worked out great. Perfect size.

Here is a design. Let me know your thoughts.

kc2006
04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I like it! Looks really good, everything we talked about is incorperated in it just right I think.

Steve
04-16-2006, 10:14 PM
What text would you want to include on the back?

kc2006
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I'll have to think it over if you want exact words.

But I was thinking outline of the business (being a state certified fertilizer applicator and insured), how my main goal is keeping a close customer relationship to keep customer satisfaction the highest, offering premium services and top quality work.

Steve
04-16-2006, 10:35 PM
We could make it like a bio.

It could include a smaller head shot and have it say "Hi my name is Kurt Chance. I am the owner of KDC Lawncare LLC. Yes, I am a state certified fertilizer applicator and am fully insured, but I am more than that. I am a local business owner who cares about you and our community. I take pride in my work and believe in doing the job right the first time.

My goals include keeping a close customer relationship with you as well as maintaining your satisfaction to the highest degree. I do this by offering premium services and top quality work at an affordable price.

I believe in staking my name and reputation on the quality of my work. So remember, don't leave your lawn care to chance, leave it to Kurt Chance."

Maybe then list the services or some of the services you offer?

kc2006
04-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Your good! haha

I really only want to list a few services on these door hangers, I really want to focus these on mowing accounts. I was thinking just listing weekly lawn care (or weekly mowing, however we should say it), landscaping, and fertilization programs.

I'll leave the design up to you, I love it so far so I'm sure you'll come up with something good.

Steve
04-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Back design idea.

tiedeman
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
That looks good.

How come I never get a customized doorhanger or postcard?http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve
04-17-2006, 09:29 PM
I really think we should do this for you as well.

We talked about this in our podcast and I think the plan was to get some pictures taken of you to do this.

tiedeman
04-17-2006, 11:45 PM
I will send some your way hopefully tomorow or Wednesday then:)

kc2006
04-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Troy and I can be your cinderella stories http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Back looks good too. Could you email me the files? I'm going to order them next week from 48hourprint.com, they seem pretty reasonable on full color hangers.

Steve
04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Here is the front file (http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/kdc-doorhanger-front.jpg).

Here is the back (http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/kdc-doorhanger-back.jpg).

How much is it costing to print them and how many are you getting?

Let me know if these file types will work. They are jpg.

kc2006
04-18-2006, 01:39 AM
I was going to order 2500 to start with (money is tight until this months invoices come back so I can't go with 5000).

The 4.25x11's are alittle pricer, they're 375 for 2500. Unelss I go with just a flyer in same size with no hole cut out, then it's roughly 310 or something like that.

jpg's should work, I'll double check what their site says they take.

Steve
04-18-2006, 09:53 PM
I am very much looking forwards to how this works.

UnitedEnvironment.com
04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I only have one complaint, the shirt he is wearing. It makes him look like any average joe. It just doesnt seem professional to me. Maybe if the pic had you in a company shirt at least, then it would seem a bit more legit. The doorhanger looks great but that picture really bugs me. Im probably too late, but for next time.
just my 2 cents

Steve
04-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Here is my thought on it. Now I haven't had the opportunity to spend time with Kurt and get to know him, but I think he looks comfortable in the picture. I think the image projects him as the brand. I think it is the utmost of importance that he projects 'him' that which is Kurt in his marketing.

Now sure we could have had him in a uniform with a hat on standing in front of a brand new truck lettered to the hilt but what message would that send the potential customer? Would that be the message he wants to send?

I think his image now projects him and his company. As a consumer I look at the door hanger and say to myself, he looks like a good guy. Someone who is 'real.' Down to earth and is not going to rake me over the coals. He is going to do a good job at a fair price. I want Kurt to work on my yard. I see a look of confidence in him. He is projecting, I am a young guy with energy and desire. I am making my dream come true.

I think this is going to work great for him. I could be wrong and we won't know for sure until he starts to get the door hangers out there, but I think he has a winner.

On the flip side, for you Anthony, I can see why you feel the way you do. Many people have given you a hard time in the past because you didn't look to them to be the age they felt comfortable with doing projects on their property. So I can totally see why you would do things differently.

Who knows, maybe in the future Kurt will change the way he projects his company to market himself to a different clientele. He can if he wants. But at the moment I personally think he is in his zone.

I do appreciate you giving us your insight.

kc2006
04-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Well I agree we could of went alittle more on the uniform, the shirt is actually a "uniform" that has all the lettering on the back (doesn't do any good for the picture though). I do have a couple polo shirts with a little logo on the chest pocket area, I should of used that but didn't think to at the time.

For the most part, the market here is middle class people, hard working people that have good income. From what I've seen, people want an honest down to earth person. I can normally tell how to approach the person I'm selling to. If it's a 80 year old war vet, they're normally more free speaking (and crack me up at that), if it's a house wife I'm nice and polite, or if it's just the average Joe then of course it's alittle more laid back.

The flyer design is top notch I think, it looks better then any national chain (trugreen or any of them) flyer that I've seen. So I personally think it's almost like we're mixing it all together, we have a great flyer design that still shows the personal "small operation" touch.

I could always put these ones out and then re do the flyers with the polo shirt on and get a hat (if I ever find a place that does them reasonable around here) and see if there's a difference in response?

tiedeman
04-19-2006, 12:05 AM
I will give my two cents on it and I will try not to be too harsh: *There are only three things that stick out to me that I do not like
1. *Your hands. *Perhaps just put them behind your back or something.
2. *I may be looking at something wrong here, but is that a mustache. *I don't want to sound mean, I am just helping you out. *But if that is a mustache or an attempt to grow a mustache, just shave it off. *It doesn't look good. *It looks like a 5 o'clock shadow problem. *Like I said, don't take that the wrong way, I am just trying to help out
3. *Perhaps try a different smile. *The smile you have in that picture is kind of a "sh*t smile" as I call it. *It's like you have something up your shelve or something. *It could also be because your hands are up and that is making it seem that way. *

Please don't take the constructive criticism the wrong way though *

kc2006
04-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm not going to take anything the wrong way, this is helping. I think we need people's thoughts on it before it goes into process really.

I printed it out and showed some family members over the holiday, I also had a mixed review. Most family thought it looked great, a few said the same thing as Troy. They felt I looked like the car salesman, or smiling bob from the ****** commercials or whichever it is, basicly trying to sell the product with a fake look.

TG, if you want I can do more pictures, get the better shirt on, shave my lack of mustache off http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif (that one hurt Troy! haha) and maybe go with a armed crossed or behind the back look? Give me insight, what do you feel would be right? I think we're almost there though, this doorhanger is great, and we're just perfecting it even more as we go.

On a side note, about 5 years ago when I had first bought my hot rod, we were using chemical stripper to get the paint off, well some splashed on my face above my lip and to the side, didn't burn my skin or anything but acted as a REALLY good nair, so this mustache has been a work in progress, still can't grow hair on the one part of my face. So for future reference, chemical paint stripper works very well as a hair removal product http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tiedeman
04-19-2006, 12:28 AM
OUCH!!! I am sorry about the paint stripper. Like I said, I didn't want it to sound mean, but at least honest. I woud appreciate it, if you did the same thing with me as well.

Steve
04-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi kc2006,

Right now I wouldn't change anything about it. I really think it projects outward the positive friendly approachable view that people are looking for.

You know your market and I think you nailed it with this one.

When we do one for Troy, he can do his posing differently and then it will give us an idea how these different poses effect sales. Maybe they won't maybe they will. We won't know until we try.

I think the most important part of all this is you being you!

I really hope these door hangers push your company big time this year.

Also, look at the pond guy marketing material. Every picture of him had a big smile and thumbs up and he built his company huge. I think it projects a postive can do attitude. It says, I am the man that can get the job done. I am someone you will feel comfortable around. I am a real person. I think that sells.

UnitedEnvironment.com
04-19-2006, 08:21 AM
i get the point on the posture and the smile, but I think for his intent it will be ok, Definately do not do one with your arms crossed in front, it projects an image of ego and a certain sense that you dont want to be approached. I used to always stand that way, not for any reason other than I felt comfortable. When I was in college my teacher in marketing immediately told me to stop doing it and explained why.
Oh, and dont feel bad about the stache. I have a spot on my face that has a real hard time filling in as well. When i was 9 I fell off the back of my dads boat and hit the propeller, ended up with stitches under my lip and on the side of my chin, you cant even see the scar anymore unless i shave, which i never shave those spots, i grew hair up the sides of my chin and a goatee, but anyway, i feel for you. Oh, I also broke a rib and my arm on that exchange. That took some time out of playing with my toys.

kc2006
04-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Ordered the doorhangers today from 48hourprint, waiting for the proof and probably will get them early next week. I'm excited about these and I think they're going to get the job done, I ordered the smaller amount as a test, if they get results I'll order 7500 more and blanket the area with them.

Good day today, landed 2 large landscaping jobs, got the positive flow going, so hopefully that carries into these doorhangers http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

kc2006
04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Forgot I ordered company hat's and just ordered more lettering for the truck, 6" tall numbers for the phone number all the way across the fenders will stand out a little more. Once these are done I'm getting the little logo design and the name in 8" tall letters to run all the way down the bed. Need to get the name out as much as possible, no holding back now.

Steve
04-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Great Work! Let's see pictures of all the new stuff!

Steve
05-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Any updates Kurt?

kc2006
05-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Haven't got them out yet, probably going to put some out tomorrow.

This week has been horrible. I went to a car "swap meet" to sell parts over the weekend, I somehow accuired a rash on my arm while I was out there, I think I got it from something in some mulch I installed last Thursday and it whooped my butt. I was in the hospital Monday and that threw this week off bad, luckily my brother helped me Tuesday and Wednesday to get caught up, and Wednesday while working I felt sick again. Got food poisoning from breakfast Wednesday morning and here I am. What a bad week http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve
05-04-2006, 07:48 PM
OMG! I am so sorry about all that. I hope you feel better over the weekend break.

Any new business thoughts lately?

kc2006
05-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Nothing really new for the business. I'm going to be finding out how much it is to advertise on the radio, there's a couple of stations that I'd like to advertise on. I'm also looking into adding installation of synthetic grass to the list of services. I think it could be a big hit with banks and other commercial accounts that have small amounts of grass. I'm looking into different suppliers right now for that and will be selling it when mowing slows up.

Other then the radio I haven't had any new idea's for marketing. I'm going to be finishing up putting flyers out this weekend and beginning of next week and would be tickled if I could add on another 8-10 mowing customers. If I add that many on, I'll be very happy for now, and then I can focus on more referrals through out the year.

Steve
05-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Before you do any radio advertising, please ask around. I haven't heard anything positive about advertising on radio, ever.

Have you gotten any feedback yet on your doorhangers?

kc2006
05-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the radio advertising. A local guy that owns a landscape lighting company is advertising alot on the radio and direct mail only. I'm not sure what kind of results he's getting from it though so I'll have to try and find out.

Haven't gotten any calls yet from the new doorhangers, just got a few out yesterday and had to get a few jobs done today. Going to be putting more out tomorrow, hopefully 500-ish.

Steve
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Quote[/b] ]Thanks for the heads up on the radio advertising. A local guy that owns a landscape lighting company is advertising alot on the radio and direct mail only. I'm not sure what kind of results he's getting from it though so I'll have to try and find out.

It's funny you should say this. I have actually heard other companies say things quite similar. They get sucked into these radio ads and then only find out later it doesn't work. Sometimes the radio ads become their final stand. They hope this will be the magic bullet.

If the radio advertising worked, you would see the same companies consistently advertising.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you asked the radio station for referrals from other companies in your field who have advertisied with them in the past. Then if the station provided you with this information to call up these referrals and ask them how it worked.