PDA

View Full Version : New guy

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I thought about getting in to landscaping for a few extra bucks. Not trying to get rich. I'm in between temp jobs and unemployment and would rather work for myself for minimum wage then the man.:)

Looking for a few pointers.

I havent yet acquired insurance and a business license. I design websites so I started with that. http://sectlandscaping.com
As of now I'm looking for a truck for landscaping and plowing. My budget is low. I been looking at early 90's rangers, rams, f150s.

Is 4x4 needed for plowing?
Is there any permits or licensees I'm forgetting?

I plan on buying all used equipment. I can get a toro 48" rider for cheap but I might wait on that and try to get by with a few push mowers, hedgers, wackers, blower, power washer. Till I have some clients.
Any brands to avoid or recommend?

jds2381
07-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the forum! Not to be picky right off the bat but a few of your links are broken on your site. Nice looking though. 4x4 is needed for sure! A business license is nothing to aquire. Visit your states website and you can easily get one. I think pricing differs state to state though. (Still very reasonable) Insurance takes a little more patience. Shop around! I strongly recommend this. For whatever reasons, prices differ greatly. I'm not sure what they are considering in the process. I used to sell insurance but not this kind. I was a life insurance guy. Two different licenses. :) If you have any more questions just ask. This forum is filled with great people willing to help!

Steve
07-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi!

Welcome to our forum!

Your website looks great. You could offer others on the forum web site design services!

Have you ever run a business before or was it something you always wanted to?

Is 4x4 needed for plowing?
I would think you would need it for plowing. I have known some who tried without it and it didn't work out the way they wanted it to.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-01-2009, 04:12 AM
It must be more of issue of getting stuck. Cause what I read it goes by the weight the truck can support but i guess thats useless if your in the trees.

Your website looks great. You could offer others on the forum web site design services!
Its only been up for a few days. I will make it more landscape theme but I used the New England scenic pics for now. I have to design a logo and banners. I had a shopping cart but removed it figuring people would screw me on set prices.

Using the site to test the waters.

Have you ever run a business before or was it something you always wanted to?
Yes, I always wanted to run a business. I'm ok at ruining a businesses so I figure its the next step. Lol. I tried offering design services and I rent a server so I could easily offer hosting. I just dont have a few technical skills to really thrive in either one. People want flash and custom php. I'm more about user friendly sites. I would love to design some sites here and it could finance my landscape business. :D I havent had luck with designing on craigslist but my first landscaping ad received traffic but left me with just spam.:mad:

I can do all my own flyers and I print t-shirts for other sites I have. I have over two dozens sites and do all the SEO, selling domains nonsense.

This gives me a marketing advantage over most the people in my area. I tried to sell them websites but now I come for their customers.:p I'm trying to get a dealer to knock $100 bucks off a 95 ranger for a ad on my site.

I was a subcontractor cleaning kitchen hoods and installing fire suppression systems. The owner knew ****, the difference he had a 40 store commercial contract. Everyone that worked talked about how they could do it but none tried. He ended up losing that contract to the economy.

I'm trying to get 20-30 clients to pay the bills. Not trying to strike oil as some newbies might.

I looked up licensees in ct but I found various ones. I seen landscape architect, landscape lighting, Home Improvement, I think im forgetting a few. I contacted score to see if they will help.

jds2381
07-01-2009, 04:43 AM
It must be more of issue of getting stuck. Cause what I read it goes by the weight the truck can support but i guess thats useless if your in the trees.

Its only been up for a few days. I will make it more landscape theme but I used the New England scenic pics for now. I have to design a logo and banners. I had a shopping cart but removed it figuring people would screw me on set prices.

Using the site to test the waters.

Yes, I always wanted to run a business. I'm ok at ruining a businesses so I figure its the next step. Lol. I tried offering design services and I rent a server so I could easily offer hosting. I just dont have a few technical skills to really thrive in either one. People want flash and custom php. I'm more about user friendly sites. I would love to design some sites here and it could finance my landscape business. :D I havent had luck with designing on craigslist but my first landscaping ad received traffic but left me with just spam.:mad:

I can do all my own flyers and I print t-shirts for other sites I have. I have over two dozens sites and do all the SEO, selling domains nonsense.

This gives me a marketing advantage over most the people in my area. I tried to sell them websites but now I come for their customers.:p I'm trying to get a dealer to knock $100 bucks off a 95 ranger for a ad on my site.

I was a subcontractor cleaning kitchen hoods and installing fire suppression systems. The owner knew ****, the difference he had a 40 store commercial contract. Everyone that worked talked about how they could do it but none tried. He ended up losing that contract to the economy.

I'm trying to get 20-30 clients to pay the bills. Not trying to strike oil as some newbies might.

I looked up licensees in ct but I found various ones. I seen landscape architect, landscape lighting, Home Improvement, I think im forgetting a few. I contacted score to see if they will help.

Nice. It's good to hear that you are a business man. That will help for sure. As far as licenses, I have looked too. I'm in WV. The only 'license' I need as far as my research has stated is a business license. I think this too may differ state to state.

Not trying to strike oil? Why not?* Honestly, with time it is possible. If you have the right attitude, are enthusiastic, believe in your product (service) and wiling to learn then the sky is the limit! Honestly.

*Disclaimer: The definition of 'striking oil' may differ person to person.

Steve
07-01-2009, 07:04 AM

The one thing you might find is that your town requires contractors to have a business license for lawn care. They might not, but it would be easy to check at the town hall.

Then you should be off and running.

arthur712
07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the forum!

My website need help too, but the prices people charge just sound crazy.
I am sure its worth it. I need help building website traffic.

Good to have you here!!
Thanx!
Artie