PDA

View Full Version : deadbeat owners

tuscangardens
06-30-2009, 07:42 AM
does anyone thing that it is a good idea to start a website that has a list of owners with a star rating system on how they pay?
(so you know who to do work for, and not get screwed.)

eg, john doe 5 stars (pays on time, polite)
john smith 1 star (pays late and hard to get in contact with)

mark123
06-30-2009, 08:10 AM
You better make it password protected and only give it to fellow landscapers in the area. The truth is always a defense against libel cases but you still have to fight in court and it sounds expensive. :)

I must admit, I've considered the same thing for my area.

andyjoneslawncare
06-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Sounds too good to be true. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm sure there'd be some problem though. Its unbelievable to me that someone could not pay me after seeing me sweat around in their yard so I can provide for my kids, but it happens. Last week, I started texting one of my usual suspects before coming and saying "Is tomorrow a good time to come mow?" He texted back "perfect!". Then I showed up and he didn't have money!? I was trying to be subtle, giving him warning that I'll be there so he can have money, but noooo. Its a fine line, because if you piss them off, you could lose the account, but if you wait too long, they'll never pay and you worked for free. Your idea solves this by never doing their yard to begin with. Here's where the problem might come. Suppose a lawn service does a lousy job, is never there when they say, skips out on edging, etc, and gets a new company to do it. What would keep the "fired" company from bad-mouthing the homeowners to "get them back"? Then come the lawyers...

Steve
07-01-2009, 04:10 AM
What if you listed the address instead of the name? Maybe that and the date? That way there would be no name and if you did a search, you could see what date the owner didnt pay on. You could ask a new customer who is on that list how long they have lived there to find out if it were them? Or maybe this would just give you a heads up.

Maybe?

picframer
07-01-2009, 05:14 AM
does anyone thing that it is a good idea to start a website that has a list of owners with a star rating system on how they pay?
(so you know who to do work for, and not get screwed.)

eg, john doe 5 stars (pays on time, polite)
john smith 1 star (pays late and hard to get in contact with)

This is a very good idea however at least here the pricacy act would have you in court in a heart beat, something to look into.

andyjoneslawncare
07-01-2009, 06:44 AM
What if you listed the address instead of the name? Maybe that and the date? That way there would be no name and if you did a search, you could see what date the owner didnt pay on. You could ask a new customer who is on that list how long they have lived there to find out if it were them? Or maybe this would just give you a heads up.

Maybe?

Great idea! That just might work. You're not actually saying anything about any person, just that when you mow certain properties, you don't get paid. It may just be a curse on the property and have nothing to do with the owners! One sidenote, or question really. Who can and can't report to the credit agencies (experian, etc). Is it only lending institutions? The phone and electric bill are on your credit report right? Anyone know the legalities here and if someone doesn't pay for 6 months you can have it on their credit til they do? I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to, and everyone would be going to court argueing over how much they owed and there'd be plenty problems, but legally, who can put something on your credit report?
Or could you take it to a collection agency that reports it and have them collect for a percentage?

musician/lawnman
07-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Or could you take it to a collection agency that reports it and have them collect for a percentage?

That's what I did, I have 5 customers that have been turned over to collections, & it is now on their credit reports. Some people just suck.

turfmaster
07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
A friend of mine in the business had quite a few clients who were late with payment all the time. This year he has offered credit card option payments to his customers. He got all his problem customers on a monthly credit card payment plan and it works sweet. He has found that a lot of his customers
really like the plan. :D

Steve
07-02-2009, 03:54 AM
A friend of mine in the business had quite a few clients who were late with payment all the time. This year he has offered credit card option payments to his customers. He got all his problem customers on a monthly credit card payment plan and it works sweet.

Does he bill them at the beginning or the end of the month with the credit cards?