PDA

View Full Version : Landscape contractors licence?

jasonw
06-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I am pretty sure the requirement is to be an employee of a contractor or work in landscape maintenance for 4 years before you can get the license. Is that correct?

swstout
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I am pretty sure the requirement is to be an employee of a contractor or work in landscape maintenance for 4 years before you can get the license. Is that correct?

Here in South Carolina there is no such requirement. I went to city hall and paid $180.00 filled out tax forms, showed insurance and that was all.

It may be different in different states so go to your city hall and ask.

Steve

jasonw
06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry I forgot to say I was in California. I am going to city hall on Monday to get my general business license to work in the city but the California State License Bord requires anyone doing any work for $500 or more labor and materials to have a state Landscape Contractors License and be insured and bonded and all that good stuff a regular house contractor has to do. I think it is stupid but when I look at some of the half a million dollar commercial landscapes around here I guess it makes sence for them to regulate it.

Steve
06-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't know for sure about this so keep us updated to what you find when you get to the town hall.

Little's
06-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Im in Cal. too. I looked into this last year and they do require 4 years of "verifiable" experience, which means if you have been an employee, that is easy to prove. But, on ca.gov's website it also says that you can be self employed and gain your own 4 years experience! But when you apply, you have to provide job site locations, how long each job took, and it must add up to 4 years. Kind of a loop hole. But it is very possible to do.

Remember there is a $250 filing fee that they can keep even if they reject your application, so dot your i's and cross your t's.

jasonw
06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Doly noted. This is something I really want to do as otherwise I am limited to jobs costing less than $500 labor and materials and I question if it is possible to make a million this way. I have no problems with record keeping. My financial software dose most of it for me. I suppose it would also help to show you have been licensed locally in your city consistently for the 4 years.

Little's
06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
I am thinking of applying next year. but I think I will be going with the Tree Trimming Cont. Lic. Something I noted on their website was that it is law only test. So there is no more trade test for trees. Which I found interesting.