PDA

View Full Version : Getting business suggestions?

jasonw
06-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Ok so far I have an add in the local paper, adds on craigs list that I renew every week. add on my SUV. business card left at doors to houses that look like the yard is neglected. Anything ells I can do? I cant believe I have yet to get one single call from anyone.

jasonw
06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Well. Now I feel stupid. I just got a lawn job via the add in the paper. Woohoo. Its unfortunate that it is an hours drive from my house according to the GPS but oh well I refuse to turn down business lol.

Steve
06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
There was a post on here just recently talking about how the one member would post up to 4 different ads on craigslist per day.

Would posting with more frequency help? Have you experimented with that at all?

Using craigslist to promote your lawn care business. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=843)

jasonw
06-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Steve, I have only done it thus far about once a week. 4 times per day sounds to much like spam to me and I hate spam but I am starting to think about it as it may give me the business I need to look more at this as a #1 source of income.

doug1980
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Well. Now I feel stupid. I just got a lawn job via the add in the paper. Woohoo. Its unfortunate that it is an hours drive from my house according to the GPS but oh well I refuse to turn down business lol.

While I understand your motto of not turning down a job...is that one really worth your time. I mean that is 2 hours of drive time which is worth about $120 plus or minus plus the cost of fuel there and back. So even if the yard is $100 you are still losing money. Just my opinion.

turfmaster
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Steve, I have only done it thus far about once a week. 4 times per day sounds to much like spam to me and I hate spam but I am starting to think about it as it may give me the business I need to look more at this as a #1 source of income.

Watch out for a lot of B.S. low ball phony crap on Craigs List.

I think its ok to use to help get your name out there especially because its free.

Make your ad look as professional as possible on Craigs List just as you would for a newspaper ad. :D

Steve
06-24-2009, 09:30 PM

I just wanted to point out what others are doing that they are finding success at.

jasonw
06-25-2009, 10:20 AM
While I understand your motto of not turning down a job...is that one really worth your time. I mean that is 2 hours of drive time which is worth about $120 plus or minus plus the cost of fuel there and back. So even if the yard is $100 you are still losing money. Just my opinion.

Wow I wont mention the over the phone quote I gave them then. I am hoping that lookyloos and word of mouth will give me more business in that area so its worth going to.

jasonw
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok so I got there this morning. No one was home. I spoke to the homeowner on the phone and he asked if I sprayed weeds to. I said yes and he said how much to spray both sides of the house. Now I must admit I charged a little more to make the entire thing worth my while. What it comes down to without sharing to much is even if I count my time on the road I made $20 per hour which is not to bad for my first job.

Steve
06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Congratulations! How does it feel to have all the business wheels turning now?

jasonw
06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
It feels great. Now at least I have something to do every 2 weeks, it should only get better from here. Sence I own everything my financial statement already shows me in the black after my first job so that's cool. I don't mind the drive to much as I realized yesterday this customer lives in a beautiful wooded area that I use to goto a lot on my ATV before the kids arrived. Going there brings back a lot of relaxing memories and its great to get out of this 100 temps. Not only that but I am getting paid for it.

Steve
06-26-2009, 05:21 PM
That is fantastic! I think there will be a lot of more great things coming your way!