PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

VPlandscapes
06-21-2009, 07:40 PM
first of all, I did my first account today! Well, my neighbors while they are on vacation, but I am starting a lawn care business! My questions are, #1- how often should I mow my clients yards? #2- what would be a cood slogan? and #3- how should I distribute flyers?

thanks,
Riley

mark123
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
... #1- how often should I mow my clients yards? ... The best for the lawn is to never cut more than one fourth of the height off of the grass blade. If you want the grass to be 3 inches high then never let it get higher than 4 inches. If you are cutting more than that off then you aren't cutting often enough. Unfortunately, it is quite hard to get most clients to pay for more than one cut per week.

Once per week is my normal cut. Every other week and I boost the price up because it takes a whole lot longer, especially in the heavy growing season.

CHEESE2009
06-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Handing out flyers sucks, but it must be done!

The best way to do this is to do it yourself. It's your own business, so you won't be taking breaks & complain about the hours. Gather a few friends & you can bang out streets really fast. Just don't leave them to do the job on their own! If your friends want money, .. give them some! lol, tell them they will make money off every flyer that gets you hired!

I recommend printing out more than 1000 flyers, they go by pretty fast. Once your friends & yourself are together, it would suck to only be out for an hour only to notice you need more flyers... A day wasted... Don't stop printing/folding!

I also recommend printing out a street map & crossing off the streets which you've handed out flyers to. This will keep you organized.

Though I have wasted about 70 flyers doing the same street 3 times, even with my own advice.. Just be aware :P

I also recommend to NOT put your prices on your flyer, I think that was my biggest mistake. People are scared of numbers, put your contact info & let them call & ask for an estimate.

I'm mad that I put a starting price on my flyer... damn!

VPlandscapes
06-22-2009, 06:47 AM
thanks! I really apretiate it!

Steve
06-22-2009, 03:12 PM
#2- what would be a cool slogan

I think it can depend on your business name. A lot of times you can play the slogan off the name and it will all work together.

What business name are you using?

VPlandscapes
06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm probably going to go by rv lawn care. would that work

Steve
06-22-2009, 04:08 PM
What kind of market are you shooting for?

VPlandscapes
06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm aiming for mowing, shoveling (did it last year), and fall raking and spring cleanups

Steve
06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
When you said RV Lawn Care it made me think of RV as in recreational vehicle. I am guessing that's not why you want to go with it. Is it your initials? Did you think of that meaning with the rv or no? Would others who didnt know you think of that? Would that be helpful or no?

VPlandscapes
06-23-2009, 07:31 AM
yeah thats why I wasn't sure. New decision is VPlandscapes. My slogan was going to be. WE do it all, so you don't have to. Or something along those lines, but I may regret it because I just don't do landscaping

Steve
06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I like the VP Landscapes. Or even V.I.P. Landscapes. That could make it sound even more upscale and fancier.

VPlandscapes
06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I love it! Should I keep the slogan?

Steve
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Yea! Keep us posted on how you go with all this.

VPlandscapes
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
ok definatly! I am on the laptop right now because our computer is done for.:(

does anyone know some good programs for making flyers? something downloadable? The worst part is that its sumnmer break, just started, and don't have any flyers.

thanks again,
Riley

Steve
06-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Have you tried openoffice.org ? It's a word processor. I make a bunch of the flyers on there.

VPlandscapes
07-02-2009, 06:10 PM
sorry I havn't answered. Been busy! Ok, so my mom was totally ok with me mowing lawns. But my dad said one more year. So I am going to do yard cleanup. Tell me what you thing. Ignore the phone number:D. Suggestions and comments welcome.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x75/mewinater/DSCF0032.jpg

Steve
07-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Good job! How will you be distributing these?

VPlandscapes
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks! I am thinking of walking and going door to door and distributing them.

mark123
07-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Fix the typo before printing. PRCE should be PRICE.

Also, you may want to change TRIMMING to PRUNING. There a double entendre the way it is.