PDA

View Full Version : A money saving observation

swstout
06-20-2009, 08:42 PM
When I arrived at the golf course this morning the grounds keeper was walking around the lawn around the club house putting orange flags in the ground. While I was filling my sprayer I talked to him about what he was doing. He said that he was always replacing sprinkler heads after hitting them while mowing. He bought a bunch of the flags (50) at Lowe's for about $4.00. They are made of a flexible wire with the orange flag at the top. Before mowing, he places one at every sprinkler so he can avoid damaging them.

They are reusable, cheap, and saves the course time and money.

Steve

Steve
06-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Steve,

That is very interesting. Have you ever destroyed a sprinkler head while mowing? Do many of your customers use sprinkler systems?

swstout
06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Steve,

That is very interesting. Have you ever destroyed a sprinkler head while mowing? Do many of your customers use sprinkler systems?

Yes, I cut up one and no, not many current customers have sprinkler systems. I am getting calls from the more affluent prospects so maybe next year.

Steve

turfmaster
06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
When I arrived at the golf course this morning the grounds keeper was walking around the lawn around the club house putting orange flags in the ground. While I was filling my sprayer I talked to him about what he was doing. He said that he was always replacing sprinkler heads after hitting them while mowing. He bought a bunch of the flags (50) at Lowe's for about $4.00. They are made of a flexible wire with the orange flag at the top. Before mowing, he places one at every sprinkler so he can avoid damaging them.

They are reusable, cheap, and saves the course time and money.

Steve

I use flags to locate sprinkler heads also for 2 of my lawn customers.
I use the flags that diggers hotline uses to mark utilities.

Steve
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Do you ever draw a diagram of this to keep a record of it?

swstout
06-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Do you ever draw a diagram of this to keep a record of it?

I havn't started doing it yet, just bought the flags today. But, no, I will place them every time. I don't think a diagram would be accurate enough. Placing the flag is exact.

Steve

Steve
06-20-2009, 10:53 PM
The thing I was wondering was, in case you had to have someone else service the property, would it be better to say here is a diagram of the property and here are some hazards to look out for or would it be better to just say look for the hazards and mark them?

How could all this ideally help you more in case you went on vacation or you were sick and needed someone to mow?

Would someone else take the time and care you did to flag hazards or would they just mow and then cause damage? In such a situation, would them seeing a map help them quicker realize to look out and avoid the hazards?

Little's
06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
All of my customers have sprinkler systems and I never hit any of them. If the sprinkler is properly set in the ground, no blade will ever touch it. I wonder why the golf course wouldnt just reset their height so they are flush with the ground?

CHEESE2009
06-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I wonder why the golf course wouldnt just reset their height so they are flush with the ground?

that would make it too easy!

LOL

Steve
06-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Well I guess at times they may not fully retract.

turfmaster
06-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Well I guess at times they may not fully retract.

Exactly, I have seen some sprinkler heads that when fully retracted still stood to tall to mow over.

I will usually trim those properties first also which helps identifying where they are located as well.

You can take pictures of them marked in case someone else services the property.

Little's
06-21-2009, 12:39 PM
If a sprinkler does not fully retract, then it needs to be replaced. Over time they get damaged inside from the up and down action, and with a little dirt inside, it creates scratches on the wall lining and causes it to get caught on its way down.

If I see a sprinkler at a customers that is still popped up, I always tell them its time to replace it. Or eventually it will get hit with the mower and then I have to replace it anyway.