PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new guy!

motoyama238
06-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi, everybody im new to this site im 16 and i plan i trying to start my own lawn care business next spring. I plan i getting a walk-behind commercial mower, but i dont know what kind i should be looking for? Also what other equipment, like a weedeater should i have. Also i only plan i trying to get at least 10 lawns since i already have another job, but how many flyers should i put out?
Thanks guys any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Andrew

Steve
06-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to our forum.

What's stopping you from using whatever current lawnmower you have now and getting started now?

motoyama238
06-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi, Steve thanks for replying back. All i have now is john deere 42".Do you think that will be good to start with? And right now is the beginning off summer and i feel that everybody has lawn care services, but i may be wrong. How many flyers should i hand out?
Thanks, Andrew

Steve
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd say just experiment and use what you have. See what works and what doesn't. Sure people have lawn care companies servicing them but it's always in a constant state of flux. It's ever changing. Don't think you are locked out because you aren't.

Print some flyers out and go around your neighbors and offer to care for their property. See what kind of results you get.

Let me know how it goes.

Also get on craigslist too and try that out. It's free.

motoyama238
06-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Alright that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to use the advertising templates on this website.
Thanks, Andrew:)

motoyama238
06-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Also do you think i have to worry about insurance?
Thanks, Andrew

polarisrider4life
06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Andrew Andrew Andrew!!! DUGHHHHHHHHH you need insurance!!!! I been telling you that all year long. What happens when some rich guy like gitsis's father decides to sew you because you had a bad day and forgot to point the discharge shoot away from his million dollar camero and his insurance company decides to replace the whole rear quarter pannel of the car for $1500 and he wants you to pay for it, Better yet what if you shoot a rock out your discharge shoot and hit the neighbor's 4 year old kid right in the face???????????? lol let's see how many people on here agree with me dude lol

Steve
06-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't know how insurance works for someone under 18. I don't know if you can buy business insurance or not.

polarisrider4life
06-21-2009, 11:41 AM
you have to be at least 18 to get business insurance. If the owner and main or only operator is under 18 insurance companies will not pick you up for any amount of money.....i've looked and called lol

Steve
06-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Well there we go then.

Thank you for the info.

kdexpd
06-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Here's something to think about. Now I don't know, but let's just say that something gets broken or someone does get hurt. If you're not able to purchase liability insurance under the age of 18, then who will be the fall guy? Someone will have to be liable. I wonder if your parents will be in a position to be sued? Maybe you should look into having one of them get business insurance and letting them run the business under their name until your able to purchase it yourself. This way you and your parents are covering your tails. I know here in MO I only pay $36 a month for $300,000 in liabilty insurance. One and a half yards keeps my butt covered. I think that's well worth it, especially in todays world where everybody and their ignorant dog is sue happy. Maybe food for some thought. Anybody else have any suggestions or comments?

turfmaster
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's something to think about. Now I don't know, but let's just say that something gets broken or someone does get hurt. If you're not able to purchase liability insurance under the age of 18, then who will be the fall guy? Someone will have to be liable. I wonder if your parents will be in a position to be sued? Maybe you should look into having one of them get business insurance and letting them run the business under their name until your able to purchase it yourself. This way you and your parents are covering your tails. I know here in MO I only pay $36 a month for $300,000 in liabilty insurance. One and a half yards keeps my butt covered. I think that's well worth it, especially in todays world where everybody and their ignorant dog is sue happy. Maybe food for some thought. Anybody else have any suggestions or comments?

Your parents are responsible for you if your under 18.
I would have them license and insure your biz and turn it over to you at 18.
That would be the best option in my opinion.