PDA

View Full Version : 97 today.

StartALawnCareBusiness
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Drink your fluids today, guys. You're too important to lose.

I'm in on a break and enjoying a homemade Gatorade smoothie.

Hydrate or die: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/FACE/stateface/mi/02mi075.html

Keith

Steve
06-19-2009, 02:33 PM

I think I hear a new business idea :)

justin_time
06-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Sure did, h20 :) and lots of it

It was only 79 here today

swstout
06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Drink your fluids today, guys. You're too important to lose.

Hydrate or die: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/FACE/stateface/mi/02mi075.html

Keith

Today's high - 102 with 54% RH. Heat index - 107

Calling for 105 tomorrow with 75% RH

Steve

picframer
06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I think I hear a new business idea :)

Two things, I bought a few coolers that plug into the machinery we use, trucks or the clients house, depending on the crew they can be on site for the day or days, these units are excellent, the employees keep their food in them and I supply all bottled water.

Now I am sitting here thinking, I know very little about air conditioning, not required here as the ocean air cools things off at night, we might get 5 days a year that are unbearable, so my question is, is there a service you could offer people that have these units?? Do they need to be cleaned to increase performance, charged back up etc.??

swstout
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Two things, I bought a few coolers that plug into the machinery we use, trucks or the clients house, depending on the crew they can be on site for the day or days, these units are excellent, the employees keep their food in them and I supply all bottled water.

Now I am sitting here thinking, I know very little about air conditioning, not required here as the ocean air cools things off at night, we might get 5 days a year that are unbearable, so my question is, is there a service you could offer people that have these units?? Do they need to be cleaned to increase performance, charged back up etc.??

The units have filters that need cleaning for the window units (usually foam) and replaced for the central units. Easy to do and cheap so there would not be much of a market. As for charging, license is required and there are many, many dime a dozen people who do it.

The AC units demand a lot of power and when it gets this hot there are many brownouts and outright power failures. I stopped work at about 4 and did not get power back until about 45 minutes ago. It's 9:30pm and the outside temp is still 84.

Steve

picframer
06-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Today's high - 102 with 54% RH. Heat index - 107

Calling for 105 tomorrow with 75% RH

Steve

How do the machines hold up in this heat? I know when I worked in Africa it would get up around 53 pertty much every day (132 F) it was brutal, we tried to work at night as much as possible and sleep in the days, at night it would drop it 95 or so. We had to run diesel in everything, gas powered anything would only last a few days.

This must be desperate hard on your system as well, I cut wood all day yesterday, it was around 90F, must have drank 2 gallons of water, it was desperate hard work.

swstout
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
How do the machines hold up in this heat? I know when I worked in Africa it would get up around 53 pertty much every day (132 F) it was brutal, we tried to work at night as much as possible and sleep in the days, at night it would drop it 95 or so. We had to run diesel in everything, gas powered anything would only last a few days.

This must be desperate hard on your system as well, I cut wood all day yesterday, it was around 90F, must have drank 2 gallons of water, it was desperate hard work.

The heat gives me awful headackes. I dring water and unsweetened iced tea while on the jobs and Gatorade when I get headacks. I'm on BP meds so I can't take salt tabs.

I have to take breaks in my vehicles (air conditioned). This is unusual weather for this time of the year. We usually don't hit the 100 mark until August.

As for equipment, I break down before they do! In fact, I'm ready to crash now.

Steve

majoe7
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm ready to crash now.
Steve

Nite nite Steve. ;)

Today they said about 90* a high and it hit 96* w/ heat index about 102*. Not bad for this time of year. The tough times are in July and August. Temps about 100* w/ index about 110*. If you are conditioned to the heat and sun then you will be okay. You must take breaks and drink protein and carbohydrates. More importantly you need to eat every 2 hours so you don’t crash. I pack peanut butter or turkey sandwiches along with granola bars to snack on. If you are not careful you will pass out right there in your client’s lawn. Sunscreen is a must. No joke.

With the A/C units you have to maintain those just like you would your equipment or car. They are made for these harsh conditions. Proper maintenance will help it last a long time no matter what the conditions are. This may be surprising to you northern folks but during the summer and winter our electric bill goes through the roof. In the summer and winter the average electric bill can be about $300 - $450 a mouth.:eek: The summer we need air, during the winter we need heat. Funny huh. :rolleyes:The only time the bill is low is a couple of months. Oct., Nov., March and April. The avg. bill is about $120 month. This is an average house about 2500 – 3000 square feet.

Lastly you need to always be careful and alert to your conditions at all times.

John

swstout
06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
The actual temp here today was 105. Heat index 112 (not a hint of wind). It's 8:15pm now and the temp is still 89. Sprayed a golf course this morning. Left the house at 5am, started spraying at 5:45. Finished at 1:30pm. Took AC breaks about every hour for 10 - 15 minutes. Down to 220 when I got home. I have lost 60 pounds since January. I think about 5 today!

Supposed to be over 100 again tomorrow. Monday only 82 and rain. Looking foreward to the "cold" weather.

Got another golf cource spray job today (owned by today's customer). Helps to make up for the jobs that cancelled Wednesday and Thursday. $8,800.00 every 4 weeks (44 acres beween the 2).

Steve

picframer
06-20-2009, 08:09 PM
The actual temp here today was 105. Heat index 112 (not a hint of wind). It's 8:15pm now and the temp is still 89. Sprayed a golf course this morning. Left the house at 5am, started spraying at 5:45. Finished at 1:30pm. Took AC breaks about every hour for 10 - 15 minutes. Down to 220 when I got home. I have lost 60 pounds since January. I think about 5 today!

Supposed to be over 100 again tomorrow. Monday only 82 and rain. Looking foreward to the "cold" weather.

Got another golf cource spray job today (owned by today's customer). Helps to make up for the jobs that cancelled Wednesday and Thursday. $8,800.00 every 4 weeks (44 acres beween the 2).

Steve

Steve, you might want to cosider a cab for your tractor with A/C, the best one's on the market are made by Curtis, I have three of them however they are for snow plowing, I take them off in the summer as they get to hot, mine have heaters vs A/C, I think I paid around $3,800 each, they make them for any tractor going.

swstout
06-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Steve, you might want to cosider a cab for your tractor with A/C, the best one's on the market are made by Curtis, I have three of them however they are for snow plowing, I take them off in the summer as they get to hot, mine have heaters vs A/C, I think I paid around $3,800 each, they make them for any tractor going.

This is very unusual weather we are having. Normaly we don't get this hot weather until the end of July and August. Then the temp rises to about 90 at about noon and we get a storm that lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes that cools things down to about 75. The temp rises to about 90 again and then at around 4 we get another cooling rain. We get the heat but it is always accompanied with short rains and steady winds all day.

I am not big enough to afford an expense like that for freak weather. It hasn't made it up to 105 here since 1909 and that was in August of that year. I've been here for 2 summers and about 95 was the hottest I've seen. The average yearly temp here has been getting colder since 1998 every year. I track the supposed "Global" warming and the oppressive costs that crowd is adding to our cost of living.

I'll just keep on using my head to safeguard my health and follow the rules. Common sense is always the best route.

Steve