PDA

View Full Version : Another service to be added soon

mark123
06-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, today it was raining so I talked to my insurance guy and upped my liability coverage and sent in my application for a PA pesticide business license. I already have my pesticide applicator license but now I'll be able to buy the product and apply it for my own business.

I'm totally excited. :D I can't wait to start making some lawns green!

Steve
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Congratulations first off!

What is the difference in the licensing? Also what are some of the different requirements to get the licenses?

mark123
06-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Congratulations first off!Danke!
What is the difference in the licensing? Well, you must be licensed to apply pesticides in PA. This means you must take a test proving that you know how to safely handle the product, safely apply them and other basic things like how to calibrate your equipment to spread/spray the correct amounts, when and where to apply specific products, etc.

The business application is basically just registering with the state so that they know I'm properly insured and trained and also so they know where I'll be storing product.

Also what are some of the different requirements to get the licenses? The tests (one for "Core" which is the safety and handling part and one for category 7 which is Lawn and Turf) were long and pretty involved but mostly common sense. Basically it was just $75 and three hours worth of my time.

The business license requirements is basically just $35 and getting properly insured (http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/007/chapter128/s128.34.html).

Steve
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
This is great!

Once you get all this taken care of, how will you then market it? Have you thought about offering different packages to customers? What's your view on this?

mark123
06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Once you get all this taken care of, how will you then market it? Have you thought about offering different packages to customers? What's your view on this?

I was considering making it a package deal for my mowing customers. Raise the price of the weekly mowing to spread the cost of the fertilizing/weed control out making it easier to swallow and then also offering it as a separate service as well.

So far half of my jobs came from 2 customers telling people about me so they'll get very extra green lawns this year. ;)

Steve
06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Oh great!

Keep us posted on how the roll out goes of the new services when you start offering them.

mark123
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
My license came in the mail today. W00t!

Steve
06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
That is fantastic! Congratulations!

Whats the next step now?

mark123
06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
That is fantastic! Congratulations!

Whats the next step now?Thanks. :)

Next step is to letter the truck. The license number must be on two sides with the characters being 3 inches high.

mark123
07-14-2009, 08:18 AM
I got the license number on my truck a while back and I picked up my nice new spreader yesterday.

Oddly enough it matches my car. :p
http://imaginekitty.com/external/pictures/ShindaiwaMatch.jpg

Steve
07-14-2009, 05:04 PM
That is fantastic! How is it working?

mark123
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
That is fantastic! How is it working? I think the Andersons spreaders have a better impeller (two straight fins and two curved fins which seem to throw for a mile...well, about 14') but the Shindaiwa has a few features that the Andersons spreaders don't have. It has an adjustable chute that drops the fertilizer on the impeller which I can't say if it is good or bad yet, I'll have to run some tests but I like the idea (the Andersons spreader has a cone that drops the fert onto the impeller which works very well but I don't understand the purpose). The Shindaiwa also has the frame off of the hopper on the front which allows you to lift it on and off the truck, very nice touch!

I'm running it on Monday so I'll be able to dial it in and give a better review. :) Can't wait!