PDA

View Full Version : Stamp prices going up again!

Steve
05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Are you ready to pay more for your stamps? How about $.42 per first class letter?

What do you feel is behind these yearly increases in price? Are they trying hard to put themselves out of business or what!

You can review the article here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12613816/).

tiedeman
05-03-2006, 06:58 PM
My father retired from the post office after almost 32 years there, and to be honest with you, the post office really does not make any money at all. The have horrible budget problems.

I think that the increase in gas prices is the main reason.

Steve
05-03-2006, 07:08 PM
What other factors are causing the budget problems? Do you have any further insight into that?

tiedeman
05-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I mean, sure they are making money, but not as much as they should.

My father was offered the post master position here at the local post office like 10 years ago, but declined, because he didn't want to deal with the headache.

The post offices main problem is they hire post masters that are not qualified to do the job. Perfect example, my father still had 3 years left to retire before he received his full benefits, but he retired 2 years early, why?

They hired on a post master that was a janitor from another post office. He never had any sorting, post master, or even clerk experience. My father said this is enough, I am sick of dealing with this crap, and he retired early.

He worked at that post office about 32 years, and during that 32 year period he went through 7 bosses (post masters). Almost half of them were fired because of lack of experience.