PDA

View Full Version : Electric start mower?

jasonw
06-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Can anyone make any recommendations. I use just a small push mower now but after a day of pulling the chord my shoulder seems to get sore. Would be nice to hit a button and go.

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 01:01 PM
How big of a deck are you looking at? Commercial or residential grade? How much are you looking to spend? How many hours or yards do you mow in an "average" day?

As far as your current mower, how many times on average do you have to pull to start it? If it starts hard, you may be able to get a tune up done to it so it starts easier again. This would be much more economical.

Good luck,
Eli

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Here (http://lawnmowerforum.superiorpowerequip.com/index.php/topic,51.0.html) are some more thoughts to consider before you buy a new mower.

jasonw
06-13-2009, 03:11 PM
As far as the deck size I am not sure. Residential only at this time. Lets say 10 yards a day, average city size yards. If my current mower is warmed up it only takes a few pulls to start it but if it is cold it could take up to 15-20 pulls. A tune up wont help as I already did that one, I think my current mower is just burned out. I used it to mow our property down when we purchased out current house. It got very hot mowing the tall grass and started running funny until finally dieing and not starting again. A new plug got it going again but it has never run the same and has been hard to start ever sence.

SuperiorPower
06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
So as far as the tune-up, has the carb been looked at and the air filter replaced? A spark plug is only part of a tune-up. For me, a tune-up includes a spark plug, air filter, clean carb, change oil, blade sharpened, and a check up for other problems.

If you are looking at a residential mower you may consider just buying a regular one (but I would recommend a high wheel version). Most of the newer mowers, even the residential quality will start on the first pull once it is warm. Cold they usually start on the second or third pull. At least that is the plan.....

Steve W
06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
So as far as the tune-up, has the carb been looked at and the air filter replaced? A spark plug is only part of a tune-up. For me, a tune-up includes a spark plug, air filter, clean carb, change oil, blade sharpened, and a check up for other problems.

AHHHH YES! Now that is a tune up. I am am so glad to hear you say that.
The old days are still around in some parts of the world!
Not very often do you see things done the right way anymore. People seem to take the short cut to often these days and you get less for the same money.

justin_time
06-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Someone's lazy :p